Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Nathan Legare to an ELC

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As glad as I am that Legare started well and we gave him a deal, the chances of him continuing to produce and stick around this year is somewhere between slim and none.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Rather not rush the prospects tbh. We also don't really have room and AJ can take over for ZAR.
Of course we shouldn't rush any prospect. As far as making room for such a player, that really depends on his on ice performance. We want the best team possible. And most likely that means Legare stays in the ''Q''. But if he's one of these rare breeds of players who can jump into the league early, we shouldn't mitigate an opportunity to play here because of his age. To be clear I see that as pretty remote.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Sprong didnt get ruined though.

i mean, once he got to Anaheim he put up 14 goals in 47 games.
He was ruined for us in the sense that we couldn't send him down because of his waiver eligibility, and we didn't have a spot for him in our lineup because he wasn't one of our top RW's and wasn't a checking line player.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sprong didnt get ruined though.

i mean, once he got to Anaheim he put up 14 goals in 47 games.
At the very least it set his development back and then forced the Penguins to move him because he was out of options due to staying up too long and too early.

What's Legare's best case scenario if he stays up, a dozen or so goals in a bottom-6 role? That's nice but it's not like we're hurting for bottom-6 players that can do just the same. As it stands right now 2 of ZAR, Simon, Johnson & Blueger are going to be in the press box or the AHL.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just don’t get why people are so shellshocked around here by previous issues and how they may effect new players.

It’s like trying to compare Garrett Wilson to Craig Adams last year.

I'm not sure what the issue is, honestly.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I just don’t get why people are so shellshocked around here by previous issues and how they may effect new players.
I read that as: "I just don't get why people think they can learn anything from past mistakes."

It's not like Sprong is the only example of a kid put in the NHL too soon and then fizzled out (or at least took a step back in development), he's just the one we're all familiar with. There's Smith-Pelley, Virtanen, Lazar, Girgensons, Burmistrov, Moller, etc.

For the non-elite prospects it rarely works out.. and I guess the argument could be made that few non-elite prospects work out *in any case*, but still, I've seen nothing to indicate that putting players in the NHL early accelerates their development in any way. To me it just seems to force them to adapt to a very limited role which they then get pigeon-holed into forever.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
As deep as we are right now there's reallly no reason to even risk it with Legare this year. He may have a decent season and not be impacted by the call up but would he be that much of a difference maker for our team this year?

If he dominates juniors again and we see him even better next camp at age 20...then sure.

I just dont see the need with our current line up and the players in WBS

Reactions: Tender Rip

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I read that as: "I just don't get why people think they can learn anything from past mistakes."

It's not like Sprong is the only example of a kid put in the NHL too soon and then fizzled out (or at least took a step back in development), he's just the one we're all familiar with. There's Smith-Pelley, Virtanen, Lazar, Girgensons, Burmistrov, Moller, etc.

For the non-elite prospects it rarely works out.. and I guess the argument could be made that few non-elite prospects work out *in any case*, but still, I've seen nothing to indicate that putting players in the NHL early accelerates their development in any way. To me it just seems to force them to adapt to a very limited role which they then get pigeon-holed into forever.

I dunno. Legare was decently touted and the issue with most of those players you cited is they were on bad squads. If nothing this coaching staff has shown they can develop young talent for specific roles.

I agree though, I hope he gets sent down, but I also trust our staff enough if they want to keep him up for 9 games.

Reactions: Peat

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Don't Sprong him this time, JR.
There's literally no reason to keep him up in the NHL to start this year. Literally not a shred of a need to make that decision.

No chance of that happening unless he's doing so well in a scoring role that we don't have a choice. I'd be surprised if he even got a game.

Ok, so let’s say they play him for 9 games in the NHL as Sid’s RW and he gets 9 points in 9 games...are you sending him down to Jrs?

Would still depend on how those points were scored. Goals? Primary A, Secondary A? If they're just points because he's playing with Crosby but isn't doing anything special, then yeah you send him back. But if he's legitimately helping Crosby produce and is scoring and making big plays (his game is more of the goal scoring type), then that makes it harder... but honestly even then just due to our depth I'd send him down.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
There's no "harm" but he's also going to be sitting in the pressbox for all 9 of those games. What's exactly the benefit to keep him up? The Penguins are already scratching Simon or ZAR when everyone is healthy.

Press box games do not count - he needs to be on the nightly roster for it to count.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
They only thing that keeping Sprong hurt us is that we had to make a decision on him a year earlier than necessary.

And in the end that worked out for us pretty well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This year with the cap not going up as much as expected, young kids getting paid, little flexibility with countless teams, and with bigger things expected next year, I just don't think this is a good year to be trying this. Give him his cup of coffee, sure. But we have a plethora of bottom six wings right now. I'd rather this kid go back to juniors after getting a confidence boost and rip it up. Then look at it next year.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Teemu Pulkkinen?

Oh, man, I remember when there were a whole bunch of posters on these boards that really wanted the Pens to draft him, and got really upset at each round when the Pens drafted other players. They wanted him in the first round, and then when the Red Wings picked him one pick after the Pens' fourth round pick, pretty much declared the Red Wings to have gotten their usual late-round gem. The "Y U No Draft Pulkkinen, Shero?" meme stuck around for years afterwards.

That year (2010), the Pens drafted Bennett in the first round, Rust in the third, and the pick right before Pulkkinen in the fourth round was Kuhnhackl.
Each of the three of them have played more games in the NHL than Pulkkinen. Rust and Kuhnhackl played solid roles on the two cup winning teams in '16 and '17. Just goes to show how hard it really is to predict how prospects are going to turn out :laugh:

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Oh, man, I remember when there were a whole bunch of posters on these boards that really wanted the Pens to draft him, and got really upset at each round when the Pens drafted other players. They wanted him in the first round, and then when the Red Wings picked him one pick after the Pens' fourth round pick, pretty much declared the Red Wings to have gotten their usual late-round gem. The "Y U No Draft Pulkkinen, Shero?" meme stuck around for years afterwards.

That year (2010), the Pens drafted Bennett in the first round, Rust in the third, and the pick right before Pulkkinen in the fourth round was Kuhnhackl.
Each of the three of them have played more games in the NHL than Pulkkinen. Rust and Kuhnhackl played solid roles on the two cup winning teams in '16 and '17. Just goes to show how hard it really is to predict how prospects are going to turn out :laugh:

Pulkkinen was massively hyped as a kid on the HFboards back when he was like 15 or 16. This weird obsession continued to stick until draft day and beyond. If people were members of this site, I’m almost positive they would have never heard of him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pulkkinen was massively hyped as a kid on the HFboards back when he was like 15 or 16. This weird obsession continued to stick until draft day and beyond. If people were members of this site, I’m almost positive they would have never heard of him.
Are you sure that wasn't Toni Rajala?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad