Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Nathan Legare to an ELC

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'll run down the street butt ass naked if the kid stays up for 9 games and produces like that.

And even then, I'd still say send him down. This team is plenty deep at F. There is zero reason to burn a year of his ELC. Even if he dominates for all of the 9 games, are we really going to expect an 18 year old to have the stamina to do it in April/beyond?

There isn’t zero reason. They’re very tight on cap space and if Legare makes someone expendable then there you go. Maybe they get a nice LD PMD for said expendable forward and/or it plays into moving JJ.

Mainly, I just don’t see it playing out like that. If he’s somehow kept up then Sullivan will stick him on L4 while possibly trying to make Simon play centre there. If by some miracle he was in the top 6, I think his skating would get exposed badly. L3 might suit him depending on the LW and how it’s deployed but who knows if it would work out like that. Then there’s the fact that him being up would eat into the little cap space they have and since no Fs are waiver exempt two of Simon, Kahun, McCann, ZAR and Blueger would be scratched until Legare was sent back to juniors or someone else got traded. It’s a lot for a prospect to overcome.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Normally I'd agree with you, but the window is almost closed. Use all of your potential weapons now IMO.
Him burning a year of his ELC won't make any real difference in 3+ years.

With the way we can roll 4 lines this season, it'd be pretty sad to see him only get 7 minutes a night.
I don't think a 18 year old subpar skater is going to make any real difference this year either.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Love it! Get it out of the way now and send a positive message to our prospects in the process. Win'Win!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If they think he's ready, go for it. It's not a situation like Fleury's where he was thrown into the fire way before he should've been, and relied upon to be a savior. Legare, if he makes it, will be a depth scoring guy learning from some of the best in the world at how to succeed offensively in the NHL.

Still have no idea where he plays, though. I think Rust will eventually be moved to facilitate a JJ trade, and I wouldn't be surprised if Horny is gone by the end of the season as well (assuming it's made clear he's no longer a part of this team's plans, and he waives his NTC--big assumptions, of course), but even so, no idea what the bottom six will look like beyond McCann-Bjugs on the 3rd and Blueger on the 4th.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I guess. Our window is now. The league is getting younger. If he sticks and produces 15-20 goals that’d be rad.
Yep. GMJR has made it pretty clear he's pushing his chips to the middle of the table this season. If the kid continues producing, I wouldn't be shocked to see them gladly burn a year.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The kid looks great for an 18 year old. Good for him (and us).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is giving him 9 games in the NHL and then sending him back down rushing him?
If we have to move someone out to keep him up for those games and he only gets 8-10 minutes on the 4th line and it zaps his confidence I certainly don’t see any benefit.

Reactions: MrBurghundy

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I was very high on Legare since we drafted him, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Reactions: Jacob

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yep. GMJR has made it pretty clear he's pushing his chips to the middle of the table this season. If the kid continues producing, I wouldn't be shocked to see them gladly burn a year.
He should be pushing his chips in the middle considering where Sid and Geno are in their careers. But I don't necessarily equate that to Legare being here or not. We got lots of young talent currently. If Legare continues to open the eyes of the coaching staff you never know. But generally speaking such (young) players hit a wall. And the most likely outcome is him going back to the ''Q'' for more seasoning.

Reactions: Peat

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Given the cap situation, I find it highly unlikely that he gets any regular season games. We'd need a trade, LTIR, or to waive a player for him.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Kid is too slow defensively. NHL'ers will have 3/4's of a second on him in the corners.

That's why he won't make it this year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
In the vid JR says they were gonna get him to sign the papers before his 2 goal game or said to Nathan "you knew we were preparing the papers before last nights game...".
I doubt he'll be getting into any games this season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->