Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign head coach Mike Sullivan to three-year contract extension

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Sully has sucked the remaining fun from this team. His brand of hockey is an outdated chore to watch and has been for quite a few years now. I’ve barely felt any interest to watch the last few seasons. And until he is gone, I don’t see that changing.

But hey…as long as the chucklef***s at FSG are “impressed” amirite?? :eyeroll::eyeroll::eyeroll:
Untill Crosby got head smashed , those four and half games against the Rags last spring were the fantastic.

Im no fan of Sully, but its not a personal insult on him to say the "team" needs and deserves a coaching change.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Sullivan's biggest sin is allowing boring ass hockey to be played, not losing, IMO.

I could care less if we're closing in on the 16 game losing streak record as long as we're playing some entertaining hockey.
They looked great against the Rags in the play offs last season.........till Sid went out and Sullivan froze like a deer in the headlights.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They looked great against the Rags in the play offs last season.........till Sid went out and Sullivan froze like a deer in the headlights.
What's he supposed to do when your top-10 all-time player goes down? Suit up?

The Rangers series reminds me of the Lightning series in like, 2011? Both in terms of how we lost but also how people think losing a ton of vital players, future HOFers even, is somehow a problem a coach is supposed to be able to solve.

This game is largely based on talent. When you lose a *lot* of talent, you're not going to win. Doesn't really matter who's behind the bench. Even Bowman always had like 5-6 future HOFers on his Cup-winning line-ups.

Reactions: Pancakes

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
It’s not even that. What we like in Martin is that he is not afraid to let the kids grow and learn from their mistakes. Meanwhile we’ve only had coaches that punish youth for mistakes but let veterans get away with any mistake.

I wanted a coach that tried things and wasn’t afraid to adjust and think outside the box. I still like Ryan Warsofsky and wouldn’t mind Forrest as the D coach (which he excelled at) and a veteran assistant.

Knights - Cassidy
Bruins - Montgomery
Jets - Bounus
Stars - Deboar
Habs - St Louis
Hawks - Richardson
Flyers - Torts

Teams all benefited from a new voice. Coaches have shelf lives with the same group. Sullivan is a good coach. He was a good coach for the Pens.

the Penguins didnt need to change Marino and Mattheson for Petry and Rutta. They needed to change coaches. Still do.
Neither of these responses have anything to do with my post

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
What's he supposed to do when your top-10 all-time player goes down? Suit up?

The Rangers series reminds me of the Lightning series in like, 2011? Both in terms of how we lost but also how people think losing a ton of vital players, future HOFers even, is somehow a problem a coach is supposed to be able to solve.

This game is largely based on talent. When you lose a *lot* of talent, you're not going to win. Doesn't really matter who's behind the bench. Even Bowman always had like 5-6 future HOFers on his Cup-winning line-ups.

Well he had a ton of options available. One of the most obvious was to trap.
He could have altered PP1 or the PP setup/personnel

There's literally no excuse to not close out a 3-1 series lead unless your team all got Covid or the flu
Disco got fired for all his blown series leads...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Well he had a ton of options available. One of the most obvious was to trap.
He could have altered PP1 or the PP setup/personnel

There's literally no excuse to not close out a 3-1 series lead unless your team all got Covid or the flu
Disco got fired for all his blown series leads...
Having to use your 3rd (and possibly 4th) string goalie for 80% of the series and losing your top center for a game and a half is a pretty good excuse to lose. And then Jarry was practically on 1 leg in game 7.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Having to use your 3rd (and possibly 4th) string goalie for 80% of the series and losing your top center for a game and a half is a pretty good excuse to lose. And then Jarry was practically on 1 leg in game 7.
Jarry on one leg in Game 7 is better than the Jarry who showed up to start this season…maybe we should break his other foot

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Even more reason to trap the shit out of a team when your goalie is mediocre
No matter how you want to spin it, Sully didn't make the necessary adjustments. Just like he's failing to do so very early in this season

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Even more reason to trap the shit out of a team when your goalie is mediocre
No matter how you want to spin it, Sully didn't make the necessary adjustments. Just like he's failing to do so very early in this season
I dunno.. I agree that you gotta insulate more when you lose good players but trapping alone wasn't allowing mediocre teams to win Cups even in the dead puck era, let alone today.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think blowing a 3-1 series lead, especially with blown leads in potentially clinching games, is pretty indefensible. Domingue sucked, but he was good enough to help get 'em to 3-1, he was good enough to close it out. The team just deflated after Sid's injury and nobody stepped up in his absence.

They weren't going anywhere notable, but they had the series in the bag and fumbled it in embarrassing fashion, imo.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jarry on one leg in Game 7 is better than the Jarry who showed up to start this season…maybe we should break his other foot
Before or after sleepy extends him for 6 years?

Let’s hope FSG told Hextall to hold off making any moves, including extending anyone.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think blowing a 3-1 series lead, especially with blown leads in potentially clinching games, is pretty indefensible. Domingue sucked, but he was good enough to help get 'em to 3-1, he was good enough to close it out. The team just deflated after Sid's injury and nobody stepped up in his absence.

They weren't going anywhere notable, but they had the series in the bag and fumbled it in embarrassing fashion, imo.

Yeah I can forgive a lot in that series owing to circumstances but blowing a 3-1 lead is in some ways just as bad as getting shellacked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad