Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign head coach Mike Sullivan to three-year contract extension

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Some good stuff in there.

But yeah I wouldn't be so irritated by how much water is carried for Sullivan if it weren't one of those "how DARE people question him!" sort of things. Like the indignation that the subject is even broached is a little comical to me. As I keep saying though this is the same media and largely fanbase that handwaved Disco's obvious deficiencies even to some degree after that massive flop on a grand stage that was the Olympics. So it's just what I expect.

I find the characterization of the Malkin negotiations as "well if it were up to the fans they just would have given him 10M to just to be done with it and have him back" as questionable at best from where I was sitting. Then again I think it was Yohe who said that.

I'm not super familiar with Danny Shirey's work. He seems smart.

Sully just got extended for 3 years lol

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Deserves its own thread.

Sullivan's new deal kicks in at the end of the 2023-24 season and will run through the 2026-27 season.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
5b93af2f-cb71-4889-96f1-ee719401b621_text.gif

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ok guys, please keep calm!

---

He had 2 years left? What is the point? Are they committed to stay with him through the rebuild phase? Are the players (Sid, Geno and Letang in particular) want to make sure he is there for the rest of their careers?

I mean, it is clear that management is happy with him and I cannot say I absolutely want him gone, but considering the 4 flame outs in a year, that seems like a premature decision.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
This will ruin some people on this board both emotionally and mentally, and quite possibly physically.
Should anyone be suprised by this? Even those of us discontent with him know it's pointless to get worked up over.

The ownership wants him here. He's got a vice grip no matter what for the next 4-5 years.

He can continue to flame out each year. It won't matter.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ok guys, please keep calm!

---

He had 2 years left? What is the point? Are they committed to stay with him through the rebuild phase? Are the players (Sid, Geno and Letang in particular) want to make sure he is there for the rest of their careers?

I mean, it is clear that management is happy with him and I cannot say I absolutely want him gone, but considering the 4 flame outs in a year, that seems like a premature decision.

I think the team (both the management and players) views Sullivan as much of a core piece as Crosby, Malkin and Letang are.

They're going down with the Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Guentzel/Sullivan ship to end the Crosby era, because it seems like everyone involved wants that to be the plan.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
However you view this decision the one thing you should not be is surprised, honestly.

Also, not that I expect anything to actually happen, let's not act like having a contract makes an NHL head coach bulletproof.

Reactions: dalewood12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad