Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign head coach Mike Sullivan to three-year contract extension

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Honestly? I say just let Sullivan ride off into the sunset with the rest of the guys of the era. It doesn't really f***ing matter at this point. This team should've fired him after he botched the Habs play-in, now we're two and a half years beyond that, so who cares?

Make a coaching change when it's time for the rebuild and you've got an organization full of young players and prospects. Switching shit up now doesn't do much. Maybe they make the playoffs, maybe they make the second round if the stars align and everybody remains healthy and playing to their ability. Sullivan's not holding back some team on the brink of another Cup, imo.

He's annoying in his TOI distribution and tendencies regarding lines, but whatever. All coaches are. Like @dogthateats says, unless you grab some younger coach guy that hasn't had the "play 'em to a draw, veteran leadership above all" mantra bashed into his head yet, it doesn't matter.

My big thing, for years, is that I really question whether Sullivan's even capable of navigating the rebuild chapter as a coach. I have next to zero faith he'd allow the more skilled, creative guys to do their thing instead of trying to reshape them into NHL veteran drones in the shape of the ZAR mold. Risk averse to a nauseating degree. Would rather wring the creativity and flow out of a guy's game than even chance the dude taking a risk with the puck.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Honestly? I say just let Sullivan ride off into the sunset with the rest of the guys of the era. It doesn't really f***ing matter at this point. This team should've fired him after he botched the Habs play-in, now we're two and a half years beyond that, so who cares?

Make a coaching change when it's time for the rebuild and you've got an organization full of young players and prospects. Switching shit up now doesn't do much. Maybe they make the playoffs, maybe they make the second round if the stars align and everybody remains healthy and playing to their ability. Sullivan's not holding back some team on the brink of another Cup, imo.

He's annoying in his TOI distribution and tendencies regarding lines, but whatever. All coaches are. Like @dogthateats says, unless you grab some younger coach guy that hasn't had the "play 'em to a draw, veteran leadership above all" mantra bashed into his head yet, it doesn't matter.

My big thing, for years, is that I really question whether Sullivan's even capable of navigating the rebuild chapter as a coach. I have next to zero faith he'd allow the more skilled, creative guys to do their thing instead of trying to reshape them into NHL veteran drones in the shape of the ZAR mold. Risk averse to a nauseating degree. Would rather wring the creativity and flow out of a guy's game than even chance the dude taking a risk with the puck.
They could make a coaching change now AND in 3-4-5 years when the core retires. It would be like....ya know....a normal NHL coaching stint.

Reactions: PaulD

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Aren't we at that point? I know it's super early, but at the same time we're sitting, what, second last in the division and about 13th or 14th in a 16 team conference? And this isn't the Pacific division where finishing .500 might even get you in the playoffs.

10 or 11 games in seems like little, but all it takes is for this slump to last another 5 or 6 games and it could be a hole in a tough division/conference that's hard to dig out of.
They are 3 points out of a guaranteed playoff spot. Not exactly a danger zone.

Reactions: farscape1

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
They have a point percentage of .455 and have played more games than everyone above them outside of the Rangers, Leafs and Caps.
This time last year, they were 8th in the Metro and 14th in the east. They were five points out of a guaranteed playoff spot (third in the Metro) and three points out of a wild card spot.

Do they need to get their crap together? Yes.

Is the world ending? No.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

You sound like Ron Hextall, advocating for the bare minimum.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
We are not firing Sully. The team has not quit on him. This is an ugly stretch but it's the same team that was blowing doors off to start the season. Give it time.

Reactions: Genetic

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Ownership loves the Boston beaner and I am not looking at Hextall as the GM who pushed this. Sully has to go and Hextall has to get some players on the 4th line who will bring that element of physical guys who will deliver a big hit or look to mix it up on other teams player who take liberties with Sid, Geno ect.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
We are not firing Sully. The team has not quit on him.

This is the most concerning part. They havent quite on him which means the issues are entirely systematic and execution.

Sullivan wont change the system or lines and the players are executing. There isn't a path forward unless something gives. The easiest thing is for Sullivan to stop being so stubborn and actually coach

Serious question tho. How much revenue is lost from missing playoffs. Does making the playoffs bring enough money to hire a new coach. Could be a good reason to fire sully :)

BobCole

May 21, 2014
We are not firing Sully. The team has not quit on him. This is an ugly stretch but it's the same team that was blowing doors off to start the season. Give it time.

I agree that the new ownership group will only can Sully if things get much uglier than this, given that they just extended him. With that said, things change very fast. If the team lost another few in a row, it could spiral quickly into chatter about the core guys being unhappy, etc. Again, I don't think it's likely, but I don't think it's impossible.

But as for coming out the gates hot this season - we were scoring in bunches but a lot of the troubling patterns from last season and beyond were still there: allowing countless oddman rushes against (including/especially while on the PP), a dismal PK, and poor defensive zone coverage.

If I were at the helm, I'd be inclined to replace Sully. He's a great coach. We've won a lot with him. But I think four consecutive first round losses + this streak + the bad patterns persisting indicate that it's time for a new voice.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Meh... Depends if you think the roster is good enough to win a Cup. If not, then what does it matter?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Meh... Depends if you think the roster is good enough to win a Cup. If not, then what does it matter?
Playoff revenue matters to FSG I imagine.

Not that we're in huge danger of missing just yet, but if this continues for much longer we might be.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Was there some kinda massive shift in the systems this team employs and what it asks of their players this summer?

Genuine question. I can't even tell. :laugh: It pretty much all seems the same to me except Jarry/CDS are playing like dogshit.

-edit- As for the playoff revenue thing, I don't know that FSG is overly concerned with it. If they were, they probably wouldn't have have extended Sully and kept Hextall around after the fourth straight 1st round loss. :laugh: By all accounts, they spent a billion dollars on the team because they are interested not only the hockey team, but in real estate stuff around the arena and downtown Pittsburgh on a pretty large scale.

I doubt they looked at the recent state of things and the age of this roster and said "Yeah, gimme that team for a billion. Can't wait to rake in the couple million in playoff revenue for a round every spring." :laugh:

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’d rather have some youngish coach like what Montreal did than some retread dinosaur guy like what 75% of the league does. I am saying some brave stuff in general today though
It’s not even that. What we like in Martin is that he is not afraid to let the kids grow and learn from their mistakes. Meanwhile we’ve only had coaches that punish youth for mistakes but let veterans get away with any mistake.

I wanted a coach that tried things and wasn’t afraid to adjust and think outside the box. I still like Ryan Warsofsky and wouldn’t mind Forrest as the D coach (which he excelled at) and a veteran assistant.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Matt Cullen for coach. Daddy's home, and he's not happy.
t1ZpplM.gif

Reactions: PaulD

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Blew the door off the Yotes, Habs, and Blue Jackets.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Everytime I come to HF, I hope the title says Sullivans been fired. Too bad its not gonna happen

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I’d rather have some youngish coach like what Montreal did than some retread dinosaur guy like what 75% of the league does. I am saying some brave stuff in general today though
Knights - Cassidy
Bruins - Montgomery
Jets - Bounus
Stars - Deboar
Habs - St Louis
Hawks - Richardson
Flyers - Torts

Teams all benefited from a new voice. Coaches have shelf lives with the same group. Sullivan is a good coach. He was a good coach for the Pens.

the Penguins didnt need to change Marino and Mattheson for Petry and Rutta. They needed to change coaches. Still do.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad