News Article: Penguins Sale Possible This Week

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Penguins are in a very different place compared to where the Red Sox and Liverpool when Fenway Sports Group acquired those franchises.

Liverpool was approaching bankruptcy. The Red Sox had the longest championship drought in sports. Both teams needed an operational overhaul.

The Penguins have been one of the most successful and marketable franchises in the NHL the last 15 years. Some people may not like Burke and Hextall, but they're two highly respected hockey operations personnel who haven't even been on the job a full calendar year.

Hextall spent the off-season building out the hockey ops department, adding scouts and analytics staff. Maybe they'll add more now that FSG will have deeper pockets.

This is why Lemieux and Burke stayed on. They still want to be part of this franchise because they believe good people are in place and that those managers will now have some added financial resources that Lemieux and Burke couldn't provide. Remember, it's not just spending to the cap - it's hiring off-ice personnel, providing amenities, and staying up to date with training facilities.

That's where you'll see the FSG impact. The hockey ops leadership won't be touched and will be given every chance to reload on the fly as the franchise transitions out of the 87/71 era over the next five years.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Man, anybody who was a fan during all the ownership drama from 1997 to, well, when the new arena got built... this all feels a little surreal. Just a nice smooth transition into continued financial stability. I love it.

Amen. For all the success we've witnessed as Penguins fans, it remains Mario making a quick announcement that the team would remain in Pittsburgh that elicited the greatest emotion from me. Even as I had one foot out of Pittsburgh myself.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
@Pens x

giphy.gif

"They're...They're...THEY'RE S...ssss...SSSSSS...SSSSSLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPING!!!!"

I'm trying to legitimately quantify the arrogance and/or ignorance required to assume that someone would have a better understanding of how to run a successful organization than Brian Burke, Rox Hextall, and Mario Lemieux. My brain's CPU and RAM can't run the equations needed to even approach that number. If it's even a number. Might be a letter. Or letters. English or non-English, who knows.

Reactions: Night Shift

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Penguins have been one of the most successful and marketable franchises in the NHL the last 15 years. Some people may not like Burke and Hextall, but they're two highly respected hockey operations personnel who haven't even been on the job a full calendar year.

Hextall spent the off-season building out the hockey ops department, adding scouts and analytics staff. Maybe they'll add more now that FSG will have deeper pockets.

This is why Lemieux and Burke stayed on. They still want to be part of this franchise because they believe good people are in place and that those managers will now have some added financial resources that Lemieux and Burke couldn't provide. Remember, it's not just spending to the cap - it's hiring off-ice personnel, providing amenities, and staying up to date with training facilities.
Hextall hired a 22 year old kid to help with analytics and lost Ventura. Burke is living on fumes from the 1999 draft when he snagged both Sedins. He did some good things in Anaheim, but that was like 15 years ago.

I don’t think Hextall is highly respected at all.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Hextall hired a 22 year old kid to help with analytics and lost Ventura. Burke is living on fumes from the 1999 draft when he snagged both Sedins. He did some good things in Anaheim, but that was like 15 years ago.

Dam I wish we were in a spot to draft twins in the first.

I do remember that draft. Back in the day espn2 carried the drafts..ha

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Dam I wish we were in a spot to draft twins in the first.

I do remember that draft. Back in the day espn2 carried the drafts..ha
Yep, and every time I hear Burke on podcasts, he has to tell the same gee dee story how he coordinated moving up in the draft to take them. His other go to is when he acquired Chris Pronger.

Im not sure the Fenway group wants to pay a professional storyteller. Clearly, he’s not doing much to make changes players personnel wise here. At some point, success from 20 years ago means very little.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Yep, and every time I hear Burke on podcasts, he has to tell the same gee dee story how he coordinated moving up in the draft to take them. His other go to is when he acquired Chris Pronger.

Im not sure the Fenway group wants to pay a professional storyteller. Clearly, he’s not doing much to make changes players personnel wise here. At some point, success from 20 years ago means very little.

Relax we have wascally Erod with all his tricks..every one can chest thump now

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

Remember the discussion on "In The Room" between Rutherford, Sullivan and the front office staff about signing Dom Simon, Evan Rodrigues and Mark Jankowski? It was the origin of Mike Sullivan's "He's going to score goals" quote regarding Evan Rodrigues.

Here's the scene if you need a refresher -

Ventura advocates for the centers (Rodrigues and Jankowski). The group decides to do Rodrigues first, and then Ventura asks about Jankowski again. So maybe Ventura isn't the golden boy everyone thought he was.

By the way, this scene came back up in the most recent "In The Room" with even more context. In fact, I'm not sure why they didn't show more to begin with. It also includes a positive comment about Kapanen.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Ventura advocates for the centers (Rodrigues and Jankowski). The group decides to do Rodrigues first, and then Ventura asks about Jankowski again. So maybe Ventura isn't the golden boy everyone thought he was.

Ventura was hired by Buffalo, who just signed Jank. The guy doubled down. On Mark Jankowski.

5vzqyi.jpg

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Remember the discussion on "In The Room" between Rutherford, Sullivan and the front office staff about signing Dom Simon, Evan Rodrigues and Mark Jankowski? It was the origin of Mike Sullivan's "He's going to score goals" quote regarding Evan Rodrigues.

Here's the scene if you need a refresher -

By the way, this scene came back up in the most recent "In The Room" with even more context. In fact, I'm not sure why they didn't show more to begin with. It also includes a positive comment about Kapanen.

Oh I don’t care that Ventura left, but to say Hextall bolstered our analytics department is complete nonsense.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Man, anybody who was a fan during all the ownership drama from 1997 to, well, when the new arena got built... this all feels a little surreal. Just a nice smooth transition into continued financial stability. I love it.

you should’ve been around in the early 80s. The ownership circus back then was far worse.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
he didn’t. Ron Burkle was always the money guy
Mario Lemieux mad over messed-up Penguins sale
These guys say 40% for Mario and 25% for Burkle. Who knows how accurate that is. Now, Burkle was the money guy in that he actually had liquid assets to pour into the franchise, and all Mario could do was own the thing. But Mario just secured himself nine-figure wealth from a $25 million gamble 25 years ago. Not bad.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Has an NHL franchise ever been sold for more?

Long way from the dark days boys. What an amazing franchise.

Reactions: Night Shift

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad