News Article: Penguins Sale Possible This Week

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hopefully, the new ownership group cleans house in the front office at the end of the season. I guess it’s tough to fire people immediately, even if they’ve more or less simply cashed a paycheck for parts of two seasons for doing nothing to very little.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Hopefully, the new ownership group cleans house in the front office at the end of the season. I guess it’s tough to fire people immediately, even if they’ve more or less simply cashed a paycheck for parts of two seasons for doing nothing to very little.
Lemieux is still the member of ownership overseeing management. No changes will occur.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Lemieux is still the member of ownership overseeing management. No changes will occur.

@Pens x

oh-yeah-parks-and-recreation.gif

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Mario doesn’t have a controlling interest anymore. You don’t spend nearly $1 billion for a team that is run by a complete joke as GM. He will be gone soon enough if the new group isn’t incompetent.

I have some hope that the front office and coaching staff might actually be held accountable for the lack of success over the last four years. I don’t want to waste 4 years while Hextall does nothing, and for the first time, I have some hope we won’t have to.

I don’t want to hear people praising a GM for downgrading talent in the bottom six as his big move again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jjbuck

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Mario doesn’t have a controlling interest anymore. You don’t spend nearly $1 billion for a team that is run by a complete joke as GM. He will be gone soon enough if the new group isn’t incompetent.

I have some hope that the front office and coaching staff might actually be held accountable for the lack of success over the last four years. I don’t want to waste 4 years while Hextall does nothing, and for the first time, I have some hope we won’t have to.

I don’t want to hear people praising a GM for downgrading talent in the bottom six as his big move again.
I'm pretty sure Mario never had a controlling interest. That was all Ron Burkle.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Are we all in agreement to stay fans after we inevitably re-brand as the Nantucket Narwhals?

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I remember reading Mario held an approximately 40% stake - nothing insignificant, even if Burkle held the majority interest. Either way, Mario is a very, very rich man today.

Reactions: bigkam

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Having LeBron James be part of the ownership makes me want to vomit. But then again, it's not like Burkle is a saint so whatever. Happy it's going to a large, deep pocket ownership.

So clutch. I take that as "we ain't no herckey experts, so Mar-e-o will have to stay on to help guide us". Which makes a ton of sense given what he means to this team and city.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I remember reading Mario held an approximately 40% stake - nothing insignificant, even if Burkle held the majority interest. Either way, Mario is a very, very rich man today.

Hope so. I remember he deferred a lot of his salary to keep the team afloat. I always wondered how much of what he had coming to him, he actually received as a player. Pains me to think that he may not have received the money he was due. But I imagine the ownership in the Sid and Geno era probably made up for lost ground on that front. He's likely not hurting money these days but at the same time I hope he can go swim in his pool with cash. If there's anyone who's earned that, it's him.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
firmly team 'no immediate changes to management but thats only for as long as it takes the new owners to fully evaluate the existing management team'

you dont drop this kind of coin to not have your own ideas you want implemented by your own people. maybe thats just on the redevelopment side of things, maybe its on the hockey ops side but everyone is only safe for now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
firmly team 'no immediate changes to management but thats only for as long as it takes the new owners to fully evaluate the existing management team'

you dont drop this kind of coin to not have your own ideas you want implemented by your own people. maybe thats just on the redevelopment side of things, maybe its on the hockey ops side but everyone is only safe for now.

Good. Their additions to the Sox and Liverpool from a management perspective have been extremely successful.

Reactions: cookthebooks

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The accounting part of me is curious: Would Lemieux's share of the money from the sale be accounted for tax purpose wise like someone selling a stock/share in a company or as part of capital gains like when someone sells a house or property?

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
I too believe that moves will happen as soon as FSG have fully evaluated the setup. I also believe that they will expand and improve on our analytics department, and likely hire a GM in the future (whether that's in six months or six years) that lean towards that, if Liverpool and Red Sox are anything to go by.

Obviously baseball are more of a numbers-sport but having followed Liverpool intensely over the last decade or so, there's definitely a pre-FSG and FSG distinction in how they operate. They failed with their first appointments but appointing Michael Edwards as sporting director (kiiiinda similar to a hockey GM but not really, he sorts out everything with transfers) and then of course Jürgen Klopp as manager has really paid off. Their scouting department are also analytics-leaning.

Reactions: Night Shift

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The new owners firing Hextall would be odd because I imagine Hextall would fit into the mold of what they want out of a new GM. It wouldn't shock me if they fired him (or just didn't renew his contract whenever it was due for extension), but firing him would be a bit of a surprise. I imagine that FSG would realize this team needs to rebuild and wouldn't go for a gun slinger like JR.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
The new owners firing Hextall would be odd because I imagine Hextall would fit into the mold of what they want out of a new GM. It wouldn't shock me if they fired him (or just didn't renew his contract whenever it was due for extension), but firing him would be a bit of a surprise. I imagine that FSG would realize this team needs to rebuild and wouldn't go for a gun slinger like JR.

It's exactly what I thought.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I imagine having both Burke and Hextall in place is rather attractive to the new owners. That's a pretty solid pair and with Lemieux in the group still, you have plenty of hockey expertise to guide operations in the present and future. Imagine paying $750mil or whatever and walking into your new franchise with Brian Burke, Mario Lemieux, and Ron Hextall at your conference table. Not too shabby.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I imagine having both Burke and Hextall in place is rather attractive to the new owners. That's a pretty solid pair and with Lemieux in the group still, you have plenty of hockey expertise to guide operations in the present and future. Imagine paying $750mil or whatever and walking into your new franchise with Brian Burke, Mario Lemieux, and Ron Hextall at your conference table. Not too shabby.

@Pens x

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad