Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread XVI: Marching to the TDL Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Maybe they should try Anton Forsberg from Ottawa.

He's nobody's idea of a playoff back-up, but if we check in on the guys like Holtby and Halak right now, how much money would you bet against Dallas and Vancouver and what not demanding overpayments? They're not going to just hand over a player at mates' rates when Colorado/Edmonton/Washington might be screaming for that guy at the deadline.

But Ottawa might. They can turn their net over to Murray and Gustavsson, and you've got doubt the market for his services is going to go anywhere anytime soon. He doesn't have to be fantastic, just better than DeSmith and an injured Domingue for the next twenty or so games while they find an actual solution. Which he can probably do.

Reactions: Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We should get a left handed shooting wing that's 6'6 can skate, has good hands, and dominates possession...

Normally this would cost a good bit you'd assume but alas all they have to do is ask Big Z to suit up.
Don’t question our coach and GM.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
GCR
Zohorna/Heinen-Geno-Kap
Zucker-Carter-ERod
Heinen/Zohorna-Blueger-McGinn
Extras: Boyle/ZAR
Waivers: Simon

Pickup: a backup goalie- dump DeSmith

If Hextall is feeling froggy trade Zucker and/or ZAR for a different Wing...

Just tell me why we don't give Zohorna a shot to make an impact now with injuries and it being before the deadline?

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

I did a search on Cap Friendly before reading your post and he was the only other UFA goalie to come up with decent stats that has played 8+ games. That doesn't cost a crap load, like Fleury or isn't a starter/backup for another potential playoff team.

Something like DeSmith, Bellerive or Will Reilly (This type of player) for Forsberg (50%).

If we want size on the back end as well especially a RH shot, I think Josh Brown could be a good pickup. Him and Pettersson could be the twin towers pair. Him and Ruh can rotate in depending on the opponent etc. And he is a UFA at the end of the season.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The greatest lie told here and in the Pittsburgh media is that "they got beat by the Isles last year due to poor play by Jarry".

I also think the FO & Coaching staff believes this lie as well.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The greatest lie told here and in the Pittsburgh media is that "they got beat by the Isles last year due to poor play by Jarry".

Getting the 2nd least PP opportunities of the 16 teams (undeservingly so imo) was a big swing factor as well, especially considering our PP was 25% during the series.
Pelech and Pulock were pretty much allowed to interfere and crosscheck like it's the dead puck era.

But yes, our raw goal totals per game was below what you needed to win.

Reactions: Peat

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
People complain about Jarry dropping bad goals, and fair play to that, but let's not forget that most of the series were also one-goal games (2 of which went to OT) and our top line didn't do anything to move the needle. We score 4 more goals over 6 games and we're looking at a much different series.

I know Jarry let in some stinkers, but still, you can't expect a goalie to win the game for you in 2OT if you're not scoring.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Also, maybe Zohorna aside, I'm not sure why he should. Angello isn't definitely better than Simon and Boyle and hot start aside, neither is DOC. It'd take a bit of optimism to say they're definitely equal.

Zohorna played over Boyle I believe at one point. DOC played higher up too. DOC is younger and has more upside. He may not turn out better but he at least still has potential. The fact is they will be available and there is a good chance you will see them.

DOC is a Sullivan style player. He will get time and I have no doubt be the next ZAR for better or worse.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

He's nobody's idea of a playoff back-up, but if we check in on the guys like Holtby and Halak right now, how much money would you bet against Dallas and Vancouver and what not demanding overpayments? They're not going to just hand over a player at mates' rates when Colorado/Edmonton/Washington might be screaming for that guy at the deadline.

But Ottawa might. They can turn their net over to Murray and Gustavsson, and you've got doubt the market for his services is going to go anywhere anytime soon. He doesn't have to be fantastic, just better than DeSmith and an injured Domingue for the next twenty or so games while they find an actual solution. Which he can probably do.
Isn't that the same guy that got pulled after the fake third goal against Pens

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Zohorna played over Boyle I believe at one point. DOC played higher up too. DOC is younger and has more upside. He may not turn out better but he at least still has potential. The fact is they will be available and there is a good chance you will see them.

DOC is a Sullivan style player. He will get time and I have no doubt be the next ZAR for better or worse.

Boyle and Simon are Sully style players too. It's not an advantage DOC can claim over them in the playoffs, nor is potential. It'll be a call of who's going to win the very next match against two players Sully likes and who are building up trust. As I said, Zohorna might get the shout, but DOC? DOC needs to pull up a few trees the next time he hits NHL ice for me to believe in him getting playoff games before those two.

Isn't that the same guy that got pulled after the fake third goal against Pens

Yeah. Not the best ad for him I'll give you! :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hearing talk about physicality, Nashville, and Ottawa reminded me of Borowiecki. And here's his picture from NHL forecaster:

7097.jpg

:laugh:

tumblr_745321898c96e37037cb1afd0d7db61e_f496fda1_400.png

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
People complain about Jarry dropping bad goals, and fair play to that, but let's not forget that most of the series were also one-goal games (2 of which went to OT) and our top line didn't do anything to move the needle. We score 4 more goals over 6 games and we're looking at a much different series.

I know Jarry let in some stinkers, but still, you can't expect a goalie to win the game for you in 2OT if you're not scoring.

Honestly, either GCR burying their chances *or* Jarry playing to an average standard is potentially enough for us to win that series without even considering any other factors.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Not that Sullivan and Co, the forwards, and the defense, and special teams, and the f***ing arena nacho vendor didn't all play a role in the loss to the Isles, it's just that Jarry was so far above and beyond the #1 biggest issue, that arguing #2-#1k is irrelevant.

That's not a "lie". That's just plain ol' objective truth.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Honestly, either GCR burying their chances *or* Jarry playing to an average standard is potentially enough for us to win that series without even considering any other factors.

Yeah, it was just one of those years. :laugh: It's like when you get really bad food poisoning and it's going to come out, you just don't know which hole until the moment it does.

Reactions: Peat

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Unless the play at forward is for a damned good LW option for L2 I don't see the point. And lets face it... that's not happening since the team seems to think that guy is Jason Zucker for some reason. Team already has plenty of viable bottom six depth at forward.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If you asked me what moves I make I clearly want some grit on the back end and possibly at forward. Boyle is big but he is not Mr bad ass. So move Petts and whatever you can get in return, package that for Manson as a RD with some grit. Yes he is not the player of yesteryear but he can bring that element to a team lacking that. A fourth line if Zar, TB and Heinen is not a bad line. But cap space aside, Zucker can't stay on IR or LTIR to the playoffs so he has to work at LW with Geno.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
I wonder what Buffalo would want for Michael Houser. Local kid who's currently 2-0 for the Sabres, but couldn't be that expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad