Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread XVI: Marching to the TDL Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Everyone get in a nice orderly line, were matching to the trade deadline.

giphy.gif

Also, please be kind to your fellow posters.
slap_fight_gif_by_chaosice-d85sfsi.gif

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I wouldn't imagine letang taking less than 8.5M cash for the first three years and ideally something like 10 or 11. There is risk for both parties- Letang has well documented health issues.

What do you do when Boeser qualifying offer is 7 million I believe might be 7.5 but pretty sure it's 7.

Can we afford Boeser it seems too high unless we really letting some people go.

IDK, just a few guys I would want. Miller would be cheaper and is a few years older. I'd probably go for Miller just because he's cheaper and is more proven in the playoffs over 1 playoff only Boeser.

i thought Geno wanted a 3-4 year contract? What’s wrong with the Pavelski contract of 3 x 7 AAV

I'm not sure, but I think Geno wants to spend a season or two in Russia.

Pretty valid point.

Oh I wouldn't be advocating for us to switch out Rust for him. Zucker sure, but not Rust.

As a target, I think we can and should aim higher, and add more assets if necessary.

I think we should be aiming for "Forsberg, Pavelski, Hertl, Giroux" tier. Needle movers. Guys who can generate on their own when Crosby and Malkin aren't both available or at their best, like Kessel used to do.

I don't trust internet rumors. Two years for Malkin would make sense, but I was expecting him to want to retire with Crosby. Unless Crosby doesn't intend on retiring three years from now.

Once again why is Letang making 10-11 million?

Honestly if Letang seriously said "I want $11 million" and I was Hextall, I would just cut off any sort of contract negotiations with him and just use him as a self-rental for the rest of the year.

Letang asking for $11+ million as his first ask is just as unreasonable as the Penguins offering Letang $5 million as their first offer. It's absolutely ludicrous and it would kill any sort of negotiations I'd have with him.

$11m is like Malkin money

not wanting to name names, we have a poster that spends that much on shoes.

giphy.gif

Yah, we said that about Perron, Zucker too.

Obviously not a thing that ever happened.

Is this just speculation? I'm just jumping in this thread

I don't see Crosby retiring in 3 years, He'll still be a great player.

You guys are absolutely nuts. Letang would get 10.5-12 M on the open market. If he hits the open market watch the contract he gets.

No team is tying up 10.5 - 12 M and term on a 35+ contract.

Especially with the cap not likely to rise now that there have been so many cancellations.

If you think Letang asked for anything over 9, i have a bridge to sell you.

Ok we will see

And I thought I was aggressive on what Letang could fetch after a summer of inflated dman contracts.

I could easily see Letang getting a year or two at 9.5.

Maybe, but saying he asked for McDavid money is absurd.

1. Letang had always been under appreciated in league circles.
2. Letang will be 35.
3. You are paying for 70 games a year max, likely lower.

Any team that hands him a huge deal is going to be a team that doesn’t have a chance. Any competitive team will offer him something akin to what Pittsburgh can/will.

Letang and Malkin have to fit into a cap world that is semi flat for another 3 years. Looking at 17 million which is about what they make now is probably the high end of the offer. I don;t go longer than 3 years and I do think both want to stay and take some discount. Pens have to move Zucker this off season and that will help. Rust may price himself out of here and that is OK. Pens have enough cap space after the 17 million and assuming Zucker is moved for picks or prospects, Hextal has cap space to add a winger for Rust, maybe a RHD as a 3rd line D man ala Ceci.

Well, there's this from the Athletic. Look at the Market Value in the top right...

Screen-Shot-2022-01-10-at-7.13.10-PM.png

Here's Malkin, by the way.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-10-at-7.11.40-PM.png

I won't post any others because they're behind a paywall.

NHL Player Cards: Pittsburgh Penguins

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Those score cards are absurd. Letang isn’t getting paid based off his insane 2019 season. Look at the trend.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
The score cards aren't absurd, but the 'Market Value' metric isn't supposed to represent 'This is what a player would make if they signed a contract this offseason'.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
PensandCaps said:
Yah, we said that about Perron, Zucker too.

I'm not accountable for what the HF Pens collective says.

Zucker doesn't play well with superstars. Eberle has shown that he can, both in Edmonton and in the WCs on a line with Crosby, where they killed it together.

That's a swap I make 10 times out of 10...if we don't put that cap hit to better use with a marquee winger. Which we should do.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Zucker doesn't play well with superstars. Eberle has shown that he can, both in Edmonton and in the WCs on a line with Crosby, where they killed it together.

That's a swap I make 10 times out of 10...if we don't put that cap hit to better use with a marquee winger. Which we should do.
Why dont we just try Zucker with Sid first? Maybe they would work well together....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Yeah I have no idea why we would not move Zucker for Eberle. I’d probably do a 1st and Zucker for Eberle tbh.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If we did go for Eberle what about them adding Driedger and us adding DeSuck? he can SucktheDe with Seattle, and we get a decent backup. Seattle sucks so can't really look at the goalie stats.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Could always keep Zucker. He’s a worker and honestly would be a dang good, albeit overpaid 3rd line winger. Gives you depth that can slide up if needed.

Devil you know vs the one you don’t sort of thing imo.

But I can see the appeal in shedding his contract now vs Hextall possibly having no leverage to move him in the summer.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
At some point you have to blame Sid just as much as Sully. There have been times when Jake and or Rust have been injured. Zucker has looked good with Sid during the brief moments together, but they never last long.

Sullivan makes the lines.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Question isn't Eberle vs Zucker

It's Eberle vs Rust on L1, and whether you've got enough horses on the LW with shuffling guys onto their offside, and whether you're happy to reach the offseason with less cap flexibility and with the trade assets gone.

Which to me is an interesting question, a worrying question, and one I'd just say no to. If we're giving up the assets that would allow us a chance of sniffing around a major player, I'd at the very least like a JT Miller-type player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille