GDT: Penguins @ Red Wings, 7:30 PM ET (preseason Game 1)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'd put this game well behind even the Red vs White game for evaluating players based on the team the Pens iced.

Seriously? You would put a scrimmage between teammates higher than a legit NHL preseason game where the other team has long time pros in the lineup fighting for spots in the NHL/AHL? The pens didnt ice a great roster but theres still professional men on that other team trying to earn contracts and ice time. Its the first preseason game so I dont put a tonne into it right off the hop but it definitely has more meaning than the red white game

I am starting to have a hard time seeing how they can argue Cholowski isn't one of their 6 best D-man.

If Custance was telling the truth hopefully they move Jensen and keep both Cholowski and Hronek up. Rotate the old vets. Guessing they won't go that far, but Cholowski shouldn't be too long from playing at the NHL level. He skates really well, has gotten ton bigger and thinks the game really well. I really like him a ton as a player.

Ideally we get a sure fire #1, but I think Cholowski could be a really good number 2 in my opinion. Eat a lot of ice-time, he looks like he is really developing into a useful player.

I musta missed this, what did custance say? But ya, Kronwall with his knee and Ericcson with his hip could definitely be rotated. Hes not as high end but Hicketts looks ready for bottom pairing duty as well and deserves a shot too. They should really move a dman, 2 ofCholowski, Hronek and Hicketts should be starting in the NHL.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks for putting it into perspective. Of the 70 or so defense drafted in their class only 5 have played any real amount of NHL games. Still after years of witnessing the busts of Almquist, Marchenko, Sproul, etc.(and the void left behind) it's hard not to be anxious as a Wings fan.
I still think Marchenko is fine :laugh:

But yeah. You're seeing just how hard it is to even find NHL caliber defensemen at any point in the draft outside the top10.

It's tough tough tough. Finding a legit middle pairing guy outside the first round is a job well done. If that's all Cholowski pans out to be I'm still happy with it.
If they want to do it right, keep both Cholo and Hronek. They're both huge upgrades in terms of passing, skating, and offense. God knows they have enough veterans and stay at home types to insulate those two.

DeKeyser-Green
Kronwall-Hronek
Cholowski-Daley

Ex: Ericsson

Sent off to the farm to frolic in the boundless, idyllic, ultimately fictional pastures: Jensen
I would waaaay rather have Jensen than Daley. Especially since we're talking bottom pairing.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I still think Marchenko is fine :laugh:

But yeah. You're seeing just how hard it is to even find NHL caliber defensemen at any point in the draft outside the top10.

It's tough tough tough. Finding a legit middle pairing guy outside the first round is a job well done. If that's all Cholowski pans out to be I'm still happy with it.

I would waaaay rather have Jensen than Daley. Especially since we're talking bottom pairing.

Daley is better than Jensen and would return more at the deadline. Jensen right now might get a 6th or 7th if the wings are lucky. Daley at the deadline is a long time vet who has played top 4 mins for a long time. Hes worth holding onto just to boost his value. Jensen wont be around for mor than this contract hes on probably

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Seriously? You would put a scrimmage between teammates higher than a legit NHL preseason game where the other team has long time pros in the lineup fighting for spots in the NHL/AHL? The pens didnt ice a great roster but theres still professional men on that other team trying to earn contracts and ice time. Its the first preseason game so I dont put a tonne into it right off the hop but it definitely has more meaning than the red white game

I musta missed this, what did custance say? But ya, Kronwall with his knee and Ericcson with his hip could definitely be rotated. Hes not as high end but Hicketts looks ready for bottom pairing duty as well and deserves a shot too. They should really move a dman, 2 ofCholowski, Hronek and Hicketts should be starting in the NHL.

Yes, the Red v White game had more regular NHL players and more top prospects PER TEAM than the team the Pens iced yesterday. Literally their top line featured bottom 6 player as their top guy. The rest of their forward group were mostly older late round picks that are barely AHL level talent. These aren't guys legitimately fighting for NHL roster spots on a team that still is a contender. These are the fodder that are put out the first game if your team is pretty much set and you don't want to risk your roster players. I can't stress enough how bad the Pens team was, it featured 3-4 NHLers, all of which were bottom guys. That's less than Detroit had on the ice on the opening faceoff. So, the fact that Detroit barely won, and at times were pretty badly out played by a team who was featuring exclusively role players and AHL/ECHL players, is not something people on here should be celebrating.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yes, the Red v White game had more regular NHL players and more top prospects PER TEAM than the team the Pens iced yesterday. Literally their top line featured bottom 6 player as their top guy. The rest of their forward group were mostly older late round picks that are barely AHL level talent. These aren't guys legitimately fighting for NHL roster spots on a team that still is a contender. These are the fodder that are put out the first game if your team is pretty much set and you don't want to risk your roster players. I can't stress enough how bad the Pens team was, it featured 3-4 NHLers, all of which were bottom guys. That's less than Detroit had on the ice on the opening faceoff. So, the fact that Detroit barely won, and at times were pretty badly out played by a team who was featuring exclusively role players and AHL/ECHL players, is not something people on here should be celebrating.
It's also possible that for Detroit's kids, they were nervous in their first preseason game, while Detroit's vets looked across the ice, saw the collection of scrubs Pittsburgh put out there, and dialed back the intensity quite a bit.

Either way, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in one game, regardless of level of competition. Let's see how the next few games unfold.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Daley is better than Jensen and would return more at the deadline. Jensen right now might get a 6th or 7th if the wings are lucky. Daley at the deadline is a long time vet who has played top 4 mins for a long time. Hes worth holding onto just to boost his value. Jensen wont be around for mor than this contract hes on probably

Custance said the ask was a second or third rounder for Jensen and there is interest.

Jensen isn't as useless as most of this board believes, because he has a fantastic contract for the team acquiring him. Especially if you are a team against the cap looking for a cheap #6.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's also possible that for Detroit's kids, they were nervous in their first preseason game, while Detroit's vets looked across the ice, saw the collection of scrubs Pittsburgh put out there, and dialed back the intensity quite a bit.

Either way, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in one game, regardless of level of competition. Let's see how the next few games unfold.

If any kid took the foot off the accelerator they should be sent down.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Michael Rasmussen at eliteprospects.com

Elite prospects has most players pronouncing their own names. You have to have an account to hear pronunciations as of a few weeks ago, though. NBD it's free.

My apologies to Ken then, but that's super weird. The normal way to say it in English would definitely be with a short 'u' and that's also how you pronounce it in Swedish and Danish. It's one of the more common Danish surnames out there. Ras-muh-sen. One or two s make no difference.

Gonna be hard to get used to. I mean other Scandinavian names are also butchered for the most part but mostly because they have to be. Nothing compared to the Finns though.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It also had the intensity of a wet noodle.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

This is pretty ridiculous. It was the Penguins B team for sure, but still a solid defense to play against, and plenty of guys with careers ahead of them. The Wings had your typical bottom line journeymen and pto's out there as well. 3 to 4 NHLers is a total misrepresentation and doesn't cut it even on first glance.

There's zero chance that preseason game 1 was less relevant to player evaluation for this years roster than a scrimmage was.

Badly outplayed for stretches is another blatant misrepresentation imo.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
On-ice scoring chances:

For-Against
1. Saarijärvi, 12-0 = +12 :thumbu:
2. Hicketts 13-1 = +12 :thumbu:
3. Rasmussen, 10-1 = +9 :thumbu:
4. Ehn, 8-2 = +6 :thumbu:
5. Veleno, 9-3 = +6 :thumbu:
6. Jokinen, 8-4 = +4
7. Mantha, 10-6 = +4