GDT: Penguins @ Red Wings, 7:30 PM ET (preseason Game 1)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
First preseason game so not gonna read too much into it. Liked the first line (but they were clearly better than anyone on the pens), liked that hit Abdelkader through on Sprong, out of the young guys I liked Veleno quite a bit and Cholowski not quite as much, Saarjarvi was really good the first 2 periods. I thought Rasmussen was pretty meh but he still got the game winner and made some plays out there. Hicketts did a good job making a name for himself tonight.

Pretty sloppy game overall, not going to read too much into them until they get to the third game or so when some of the fodder is cut from the lineups and more NHLers are out there.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I was expecting a better performance all around. The Pens were pretty much all their scrubs, and Detroit had many of their top prospects and main players.

Jarry made some very good saves. He was the only reason the game was close.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Blash’s system is just so damn boring. No focus on transition, breakouts, or shots in the slot. Only focus on backcheck and then just throwing pucks at net when you can. Can’t wait until he’s gone and we put more focus on actual offense.

I wish we had a system like Vegas :(.

Reactions: hkydave04

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Blash’s system is just so damn boring. No focus on transition, breakouts, or shots in the slot. Only focus on backcheck and then just throwing pucks at net when you can. Can’t wait until he’s gone and we put more focus on actual offense.

I wish we had a system like Vegas :(.

Detroits building a team that can play like that, lots of young fast players with skill but theyre not quite talented enough to play like that yet I dont think. Also need dmen who can move the puck to play a quick transition offense which they dont have either

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Rasmussen has 5 goals in 6 career pre-season games. I guess we need something more from him for some reason. I thought he played well and he found a way to hit the score sheet. He needs to be a little more careful in terms of guys can hit him even at his size at the NHL level and will, but I think he will adjust to that. He showed good battle around the net, looks pretty hard even for big guys like Oleksiak to dislodge from the front of the net.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Jarry made some very good saves. He was the only reason the game was close.

He definitely looked good, but for a guy who has a been a backup for one season, and not even that good of one, the Wings made him look like Hasek. And, it wasn't just saves, there were a lot of points where the Pens were not only in it but were playing better than the Wings. I wasn't impressed given the disparity between the two teams when it comes to the play or the results. And the worst part is the Larkin line was in my mind the worst line on the ice a lot of the game.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
They said supposedly it wasn't "loud enough" or something silly like that. The Penguins and Islanders had no problems bringing their goal horns over to their new buildings, why the hell couldn't Detroit?

Today's new building codes didn't allow for them to bring over the horn. The goal horn at the Joe was gas fueled, pulled by a rip cord*, which wasn't allowed. Okay, so then make a better, similar goal horn. Not that hard.

*Seevideo now if you can, of rafters, over blue line, wings score 2x, there will be a small flame outburst when horn was pulled. I noticed this a lot as my seats were on that blue line and it was very noticable when knowing to look for it, as there was a small delay btwn goal scored/horn pulled. I asked my STH account manager why they had this recording of the JOE's horn, and his response was strictly about building code and that they are working on a new horn.

Last edited:
Reactions: waltdetroit

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I enjoyed the game. With the whatever you want to call the Lions season this is really all I have to look forward to this season.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Rasmussen has 5 goals in 6 career pre-season games. I guess we need something more from him for some reason. I thought he played well and he found a way to hit the score sheet. He needs to be a little more careful in terms of guys can hit him even at his size at the NHL level and will, but I think he will adjust to that. He showed good battle around the net, looks pretty hard even for big guys like Oleksiak to dislodge from the front of the net.

As I mentioned in my previous comment, the wings were playing against AHLers with their best prospects and most, if not all of, their top line. The Pen's top line was anchored by Bryan Rust, a guy who is the definition of a replacement level player. Their next two highest TOI forwards are even worse. Their goalie was a subpar backup last season. Not saying the goal tonight doesn't count, but it wasn't like he did it on a team featuring much NHL talent, and featuring literally none of the top players on the Pens.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As I mentioned in my previous comment, the wings were playing against AHLers with their best prospects and most, if not all of, their top line. The Pen's top line was anchored by Bryan Rust, a guy who is the definition of a replacement level player. Their next two highest TOI forwards are even worse. Their goalie was a subpar backup last season. Not saying the goal tonight doesn't count, but it wasn't like he did it on a team featuring much NHL talent, and featuring literally none of the top players on the Pens.

They played four of their seven likely D-man on the team... I am not saying that is a world beater Pens team... But the guys he is beating down low are NHL players on the game winner to be sure.

Again 5 goals in 6 games with AHL, NHL and high draft picks. One of Canada's best forwards in the Summer Showcase, dominant WHL playoff and finish to the regular season after coming back from playing through injury for a calendar year. Rasmussen has been killing it for a while and I am just tired of people trying to dump on him. I saw a fairly responsible player with a ton of physical gifts and talent. He is still a project but he looks like he is ready for this step. I see no point in sending him back to junior at all. Rasmussen is ready to play with men and in the NHL right now in my opinion.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Seems like Mantha will be playing the point on the 1st unit power play this season with Rasmussen in front.

Very spicy.
Probably the reason I most want Rasmussen to make the squad.

Let me see Mantha rip shots on the PP instead of getting hit by rippers.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They played four of their seven likely D-man on the team... I am not saying that is a world beater Pens team... But the guys he is beating down low are NHL players on the game winner to be sure.

Again 5 goals in 6 games with AHL, NHL and high draft picks. One of Canada's best forwards in the Summer Showcase, dominant WHL playoff and finish to the regular season after coming back from playing through injury for a calendar year. Rasmussen has been killing it for a while and I am just tired of people trying to dump on him. I saw a fairly responsible player with a ton of physical gifts and talent. He is still a project but he looks like he is ready for this step. I see no point in sending him back to junior at all. Rasmussen is ready to play with men and in the NHL right now in my opinion.

Again, 5 in 6 games where veterans look like they are sleep walking, and against teams like the Pens tonight, that feature the bottom of their defense and literal scrubs on forward. If Letang and Crosby were out there, you'd have a point, but their best defenders were a past his prime Johnson and Schultz, whose only claim to fame was being a rat of the sinking ship that was Edmonton a few seasons ago and their forwards were the whose who of "who the hell?"

I'd put this game well behind even the Red vs White game for evaluating players based on the team the Pens iced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad