GDT: Penguins @ Red Wings, 7:30 PM ET (preseason Game 1)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Again, 5 in 6 games where veterans look like they are sleep walking, and against teams like the Pens tonight, that feature the bottom of their defense and literal scrubs on forward. If Letang and Crosby were out there, you'd have a point, but their best defenders were a past his prime Johnson and Schultz, whose only claim to fame was being a rat of the sinking ship that was Edmonton a few seasons ago and their forwards were the whose who of "who the hell?"

Most of those guys are good AHL pros. I disagree with your assessment of the talent level, it is a lot better than major junior for instance and probably in the middle of NHL and AHL. So like a KHL level game, it isn't nothing to be constantly productive in that level of hockey. It is a strong indicator actually.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am starting to have a hard time seeing how they can argue Cholowski isn't one of their 6 best D-man.

If Custance was telling the truth hopefully they move Jensen and keep both Cholowski and Hronek up. Rotate the old vets. Guessing they won't go that far, but Cholowski shouldn't be too long from playing at the NHL level. He skates really well, has gotten ton bigger and thinks the game really well. I really like him a ton as a player.

Ideally we get a sure fire #1, but I think Cholowski could be a really good number 2 in my opinion. Eat a lot of ice-time, he looks like he is really developing into a useful player.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Interesting Larkin and Mantha were split after the 1st.

Agree with many of the comments. Saarijarvi had a good game, nice to see him slowly improving. Cholo looks like an NHL player. I don't think his skating up ice is as fantastic as some are saying but he's solid. Curious who gets the 1st call-up or is 7th D between he and Hronek.

The PP at the end made up for a fairly dull game. It was like a vision into the future when we might be an actual threatening hockey team.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Plenty of room. Kid's good, just glad to hear people talking about it finally,

With very few opportunities to see him, I've always come away impressed. I do not see any panic in his game and he seems to think the game at a high level.
Looking forward to seeing Hronek tomorrow night; will only be my second chance to see him and he has not impressed me as Cholo has, but I don't doubt the people here who are so high on him - so, I want to see some of the qualities I've been reading about.

Reactions: Ezekial and izlez

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I am starting to have a hard time seeing how they can argue Cholowski isn't one of their 6 best D-man.

If Custance was telling the truth hopefully they move Jensen and keep both Cholowski and Hronek up. Rotate the old vets. Guessing they won't go that far, but Cholowski shouldn't be too long from playing at the NHL level. He skates really well, has gotten ton bigger and thinks the game really well. I really like him a ton as a player.

Ideally we get a sure fire #1, but I think Cholowski could be a really good number 2 in my opinion. Eat a lot of ice-time, he looks like he is really developing into a useful player.

That's a tough one. I don't think he's yet shown to be heads above any of the current D (maybe Kronwall?). Jensen is not the atrocious player some claim. When Holland went on the other night about prospects, not ruing their confidence and playing in key moments in other leagues, unfortunately I was thinking Zadina and Cholowski.

I agree though, in 5 months he could be the Wings #3, if they chose to invest earlier in his NHL development. I'm sure he or Hronek would beat out Daley's 4(yes 4!) assists last season. It takes years to acclimate and peak in the league. Thinking of Gostisbehre and Provorov, they've had some bumps in the road growing as players. Or a mid-upper level guy like Nurse has taken time. I seems like every other team has prospects making the jump and Detroit is falling behind. "Rebuilding" should be a prime opportunity to get these guys going earlier at the highest level.

Oh well at least they both are starting sometime this season.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Is Cholowski NHL ready or would you rather have Hronek? Cholowski looked impressive this game. Ras did what he does. He looked ok. Maybe there's some chemistry between him and Mantha?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That's a tough one. I don't think he's yet shown to be heads above any of the current D (maybe Kronwall?). Jensen is not the atrocious player some claim. When Holland went on the other night about prospects, not ruing their confidence and playing in key moments in other leagues, unfortunately I was thinking Zadina and Cholowski.

I agree though, in 5 months he could be the Wings #3, if they chose to invest earlier in his NHL development. I'm sure he or Hronek would beat out Daley's 4(yes 4!) assists last season. It takes years to acclimate and peak in the league. Thinking of Gostisbehre and Provorov, they've had some bumps in the road growing as players. Or a mid-upper level guy like Nurse has taken time. I seems like every other team has prospects making the jump and Detroit is falling behind. "Rebuilding" should be a prime opportunity to get these guys going earlier at the highest level.

Oh well at least they both are starting sometime this season.
Gostisbehere made the NHL in his d+4. Nurse and Provorov were top 10 picks. Cholo and Hronek are not behind the curve at all, Hronek is actually tracking ahead of most non-1st rounders if he makes the NHL this year.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Is Cholowski NHL ready or would you rather have Hronek? Cholowski looked impressive this game. Ras did what he does. He looked ok. Maybe there's some chemistry between him and Mantha?

I think Cholowski spends the majority of the season in the AHL getting top minutes then gets promoted towards the end after the trade deadline.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
No idea what they're plans are for cholo. But I'm willing to bet with our defense that only excels at being made of glass he'll probably be up pretty early. Really happy with his development.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Today's new building codes didn't allow for them to bring over the horn. The goal horn at the Joe was gas fueled, pulled by a rip cord*, which wasn't allowed. Okay, so then make a better, similar goal horn. Not that hard.

*Seevideo now if you can, of rafters, over blue line, wings score 2x, there will be a small flame outburst when horn was pulled. I noticed this a lot as my seats were on that blue line and it was very noticable when knowing to look for it, as there was a small delay btwn goal scored/horn pulled. I asked my STH account manager why they had this recording of the JOE's horn, and his response was strictly about building code and that they are working on a new horn.

Any word on whether it will be the same as the JLA? I sure hope so, I don’t want a completely new sound.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Gostisbehere made the NHL in his d+4. Nurse and Provorov were top 10 picks. Cholo and Hronek are not behind the curve at all, Hronek is actually tracking ahead of most non-1st rounders if he makes the NHL this year.

Thanks for putting it into perspective. Of the 70 or so defense drafted in their class only 5 have played any real amount of NHL games. Still after years of witnessing the busts of Almquist, Marchenko, Sproul, etc.(and the void left behind) it's hard not to be anxious as a Wings fan.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If they want to do it right, keep both Cholo and Hronek. They're both huge upgrades in terms of passing, skating, and offense. God knows they have enough veterans and stay at home types to insulate those two.

DeKeyser-Green
Kronwall-Hronek
Cholowski-Daley

Ex: Ericsson

Sent off to the farm to frolic in the boundless, idyllic, ultimately fictional pastures: Jensen

Last edited:
Reactions: mantha39

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Plenty of room. Kid's good, just glad to hear people talking about it finally,
To be fair, if more people had any inclination of his continued physical growth, let alone poise against better competition, he probably would have been taken higher.

The kid has had a (pleasantly) surprising acceleration to his development, post-draft. (As has Hronek, for that matter.)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I've not been as annoyed about a pronunciation as Daniels' of Rasmussen in a long time.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
As I mentioned in my previous comment, the wings were playing against AHLers with their best prospects and most, if not all of, their top line. The Pen's top line was anchored by Bryan Rust, a guy who is the definition of a replacement level player. Their next two highest TOI forwards are even worse. Their goalie was a subpar backup last season. Not saying the goal tonight doesn't count, but it wasn't like he did it on a team featuring much NHL talent, and featuring literally none of the top players on the Pens.
Seems weird to focus so much on the "low" talent level of these games. Preseason hockey, a mix of NHL, AHL and top-level drafted prospects, is probably the 2nd highest level of hockey talent in the world.

I'd hate to see what you think about CHL production

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
-I <3 Tyler Bertuzzi
-Rasmussen was really good. Don't understand why people complain...not enough fancy stick-handling I guess.
-I'm becoming a big fan of Cholowski. Can't wait to see more of him.

Tonight's game should feature Hronek and Zadina, 2 guys I'm skeptical of at the moment from the tiny bit I have seen. Hopefully they can start to show me something.

Reactions: Deas and Pavels Dog

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Thanks for putting it into perspective. Of the 70 or so defense drafted in their class only 5 have played any real amount of NHL games. Still after years of witnessing the busts of Almquist, Marchenko, Sproul, etc.(and the void left behind) it's hard not to be anxious as a Wings fan.

The only one of those really considered a bust was Sproul. Marchenko was a 7th rounder that played over 100 NHL games. That I consider a success. Almquist was also a 7th rounder so no one expected him to make the NHL.

Reactions: Hinterland

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
What is correct? I'm guessing "RASS-muh-sin" right? Not "rass-MYOO-sin"?

I remember last preseason ken daniels told us he asked ras and confirmed it was RasMUssen. Go back and watch WHL highlights and interviews etc they all pronounce it that way.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Aside from the Red/White game, this is the first time I've gotten to watch a lot of a propects.

I'll echo the positive statements about Cholowski, I thought he played very well.
Saarijarvi stood out to me in a positive way. He looks like he's almost ready to take the next step.
The only positive I see regarding Jensen over Hicketts is being a right-hand shot. Otherwise, I'd rather have Hicketts.
Hamilton's smile after scoring that goal was priceless.

Rasmussen seems a little timid. I'm sure once he gets past the point of going from playing with boys to men, he'll be fine.
Veleno is absolutely a keeper.
Ehn has impressed me from what I've seen. He's definitely going to be a solid 3rd line center in the league, and if I had to choose between him and Holmstrom, I take Ehn every day of the week.

I thought Sateri looked really sharp for the most part. He's quick laterally, maybe a little too active, but should easily be a solid NHL backup. Should be good competition in Grand Rapids between him and Rybar, who I also thought looked solid.

If they want to do it right, keep both Cholo and Hronek. They're both huge upgrades in terms of passing, skating, and offense. God knows they have enough veterans and stay at home types to insulate those two.

DeKeyser-Green
Kronwall-Hronek
Cholowski-Daley

Ex: Ericsson

Sent off to the farm to frolic in the boundless, idyllic, ultimately fictional pastures: Jensen

If Blashill can find a way to keep Kronwall's time minimized and/or something happens with injuries, I'd have Hicketts penciled in there as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->