GDT: Penguins @ Red Wings, 7:30 PM ET (preseason Game 1)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Red Wings Roster : TBD

Penguins Roster:

GOALIES
1 CASEY DESMITH
35 TRISTAN JARRY

DEFENSEMEN
4 JUSTIN SCHULTZ
5 ZACH TROTMAN
6 JAMIE OLEKSIAK
50 JUUSO RIIKOLA
73 JACK JOHNSON
76 CALEN ADDISON
83 ANTTI PALOJARVI

FORWARDS
12 DOMINIK SIMON
17 BRYAN RUST
25 TOBIAS LINDBERG
36 LINUS OLUND
37 SAM LAFFERTY
38 DEREK GRANT
41 DANIEL SPRONG
47 ADAM JOHNSON
51 JOSEPH CRAMAROSSA
53 TEDDY BLUEGER
56 RYAN HAGGERTY
61 JUSTIN ALMEIDA
80 SAM MILETIC

Penguins vs. Red Wings Preseason Lineup - 09.19.18

Reactions: Larkin1578

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Via twitter... Our roster tonight:

J. Howard
H. Sateri

J. Hicketts
N. Jensen
D. Cholowski
V. Saarijarvi
T. Hamilton
D. DeKeyser
M. Crawford

J. Abdelkader
C. Terry
C. Campbell
J. Jokinen
W. Megan
M. Rasmussen
L. Witkowski
A. Mantha
T. Bertuzzi
C. Ehn
D. Larkin
M. Ford
J. Veleno

So that means:
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Rasmussen-Veleno-Abdelkader

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

J. Howard
H. Sateri

J. Hicketts
N. Jensen
D. Cholowski
V. Saarijarvi
T. Hamilton
D. DeKeyser
M. Crawford

J. Abdelkader
C. Terry
C. Campbell
J. Jokinen
W. Megan
M. Rasmussen
L. Witkowski
A. Mantha
T. Bertuzzi
C. Ehn
D. Larkin
M. Ford
J. Veleno

So that means:
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha

Are you aloud extra skaters in pre-season?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...So that means:
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha

I guess we won't see every other post proposing Abdelkader and Helm on the 4th line. Whether they deserve it or not the org. would never admit such failure.

After the R&W game I think Bertuzzi on the top line is questionable. I'd put Nyquist in his place. More experienced and just all around better player.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I’m going to tomorrow’s game. The two guys I wanted to see the most were zadina and Hronek. Neither in the lineup today :D

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm curious to learn how Rasmussen and Cholowski play for Detroit, and Addison for Pittsburgh. Otherwise a snoozer.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I guess we won't see every other post proposing Abdelkader and Helm on the 4th line. Whether they deserve it or not the org. would never admit such failure.

After the R&W game I think Bertuzzi on the top line is questionable. I'd put Nyquist in his place. More experienced and just all around better player.
Abby will, as always, slide up and down the lineup. Helm the same thing but less frequently in the top 6. Giving Ras and Veleno an experienced NHLer on their line is good though.

Reactions: RedMenace

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Bertuzzi was the best player from his line on the R&W game.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Why on earth would you propose playing Abby on the fourth line in a game where literally half the forwards are bound for the AHL.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Hopefully the DRW get a good amount of PP time. Want to see Cholowski run the first unit. It'll be nice to see Rasmussen and Veleno paired up. Maybe I'm just excited for hockey, but I'm defintely interested in watching tonight

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Why on earth would you propose playing Abby on the fourth line in a game where literally half the forwards are bound for the AHL.
I wouldn't rule it out specifically for that reason. Most of those prospects were drafted to play a scoring role, so grind duty doesn't provide a realistic evaluation (and nobody really cares if they lose a preseason game, since it's a time for experimentation, more than anything).

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

We'll still see that, it's what fans want so they're going to continue to post it.
I don't think Abby playing with two rookies in a preseason game with 4 of our NHL forwards from last season (Witter, Bert, Larkin Mantha) is indicative of where he'll play in October.

The red and white game was Bert's first action in months. He does things for Larkin and Mantha that Nyquist cannot.

Reactions: newfy

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

J. Howard
H. Sateri

J. Hicketts
N. Jensen
D. Cholowski
V. Saarijarvi
T. Hamilton
D. DeKeyser
M. Crawford

J. Abdelkader
C. Terry
C. Campbell
J. Jokinen
W. Megan
M. Rasmussen
L. Witkowski
A. Mantha
T. Bertuzzi
C. Ehn
D. Larkin
M. Ford
J. Veleno

So that means:
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha

On the twitter post, it looked like Sateri was starting... anyone have any further info on that?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
On the twitter post, it looked like Sateri was starting... anyone have any further info on that?

By Ansar Khan
[email protected]

DETROIT - The Detroit Red Wings' projected top line of Dylan Larkin centering Anthony Mantha and Tyler Bertuzzi will be on the ice for tonight's preseason opener against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Little Caesars Arena (7:30, Fox Sports Detroit).

Another line will feature Joe Veleno centering Michael Rasmussen and Justin Abdelkader.
Other forwards listed on the roster sheet are Luke Witkowski, Jussi Jokinen, Christoffer Ehn, Matthew Ford, Colin Campbell, Chris Terry and Wade Megan, one of whom is an extra who won't dress.

On defense, Joe Hicketts and Dennis Cholowski, two of the four players competing for one open spot, will play tonight, along with regulars Danny DeKeyser and Nick Jensen.
Vili Saarijarvi will dress, along with one of Marcus Crawford or Trevor Hamilton.

Jimmy Howard will start in goal. Harri Sateri is the backup.

Filip Zadina and Thomas Vanek, each dealing with a minor groin strain, are expected to play Thursday against Chicago at LCA (7:30 p.m., Fox Sports Detroit Plus).

The Penguins are not many playing regulars. Stars Sidney Crosby, Evgeny Malkin and Phil Kessel are not dressing.

Reactions: RedMenace

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Abby will, as always, slide up and down the lineup. Helm the same thing but less frequently in the top 6. Giving Ras and Veleno an experienced NHLer on their line is good though.

I agree, in these games, having lines like 2 kids and a goat allows the staff to evaluate a lot of factors. No need to fret over preseason line combos too much, especially this early.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

J. Howard
H. Sateri

J. Hicketts
N. Jensen
D. Cholowski
V. Saarijarvi
T. Hamilton
D. DeKeyser
M. Crawford

J. Abdelkader
C. Terry
C. Campbell
J. Jokinen
W. Megan
M. Rasmussen
L. Witkowski
A. Mantha
T. Bertuzzi
C. Ehn
D. Larkin
M. Ford
J. Veleno

So that means:
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha

Much more NHL and high tier prospect caliber talent than the Pens. If we don't win this one easy, I'll probably be a bit concerned, preseason or not.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I wouldn't rule it out specifically for that reason. Most of those prospects were drafted to play a scoring role, so grind duty doesn't provide a realistic evaluation (and nobody really cares if they lose a preseason game, since it's a time for experimentation, more than anything).

The organization does not need to evaluate AHL journeymen and players given PTOs as agent favors. Anyways, Abby in the top six will not hurt any of the young players people want to actually watch.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Not trying to conflate PS with regular, but my point is the Wings don't have Helm or Abdelkader penciled in on a 4th line. If anything Larkin's line could struggle early and Abdelkader takes Bertuzzi's place. Helm is already on a 3rd line. My guess is Svechnikov starts on the 4th line. Last year we saw Abdelkader/Helm with stints on the 4th line, but I think it was after injury or one of their numerous losing streaks. The Wings still think a lot more of Helm and Abdelkader than many of the fans.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
finally. i won't be able to watch this live, do you guys know if nhl.tv has the preseason games replays the next day?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

is that really the case in this game specifically though?

Witkowski is Witkowski,Terry/Campbell/Megan/Ford are late 20s-early 30s AHL lifer types

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad