Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Zach Aston-Reese (2 years, $1m AAV)

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
If we shot ZAR into the sun, would it even marginally hurt this team considering the depth we have at Wing?

Mark this as "another player who is destined to be traded so we can create cap room". Nice work JR

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
If we shot ZAR into the sun, would it even marginally hurt this team considering the depth we have at Wing?

Mark this as "another player who is destined to be traded so we can create cap room". Nice work JR
Even if it is true that he is destined to be traded for cap room, I don't see the objection to a 2 year deal that is barely above the minimum. I would think that at that low AAV having an extra year should make him a little more attractive in a trade.

Reactions: Pens17

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Even if it is true that he is destined to be traded for cap room, I don't see the objection to a 2 year deal that is barely above the minimum. I would think that at that low AAV having an extra year should make him a little more attractive in a trade.

Why even agree to this deal at all then?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
First off, I dislike the idea of having a youngster jerked out of his developmental pathway just to be 13th forward and there's nobody in WBS who's a serious contender for L4 as things stand - maybe halfway through the season, there's some close ones, hell maybe even post-camp, but not right now.

But in terms of ZAR's place on the team - we do know we've got several injury prone forwards. We do know we've possibly got a forward trade coming. We do know we've got several inconsistent forwards and a very strong 13th forward, if that's what he is, to keep the pressure on them is good. And hell, if it comes to it, there's worse things than having someone that good at 13F if you can afford it... and maybe we can't given the defence, but fixing the defence probably means trading a good forward for a good dman, at which point enter ZAR.

As such, given the myriad of ways this could work out with him having a sensible place in the team, it makes sense to me. Maybe two months down the line he's 13th forward and we're in a weird cap place and it makes no sense why we kept him... but we can always trade him then. No need to race to conclusions about his place imo.

I hear what you’re saying and it might work out for us, or he could be traded down the line, but imo this signing just shows how JR has really messed up the Pens asset management ...we’re not really in a position to sign someone for a two year contract at over the minimum wage who’ll be competing for a 13th forward spot...our cap situation, forward log jam and the number of projected bottom 6 forwards in our system who are waiver exempt make this difficult...maybe it’ll be fine and ZAR will be great ... but it just seems our strategy for team building this summer has been a wing and a prayer...there’s a lot of “hoping” going on with regard to our forward depth and production...meanwhile, the ineffective D remains status quo...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I hear what you’re saying and it might work out for us, or he could be traded down the line, but imo this signing just shows how JR has really messed up the Pens asset management ...we’re not really in a position to sign someone for a two year contract at over the minimum wage who’ll be competing for a 13th forward spot...our cap situation, forward log jam and the number of projected bottom 6 forwards in our system who are waiver exempt make this difficult...maybe it’ll be fine and ZAR will be great ... but it just seems our strategy for team building this summer has been a wing and a prayer...there’s a lot of “hoping” going on with regard to our forward depth and production...meanwhile, the ineffective D remains status quo...

Is it really messed up beyond what's normal at a cap NHL org with an expensive core? And how many NHL orgs aren't on a wing and a prayer, hoping that someone out there will have the trade they want or that the FA they need will come to them?

You could say it makes this difficult. You could also say it presents an opportunity down the line to trade a forward and strengthen the team. Both seem true enough. I think the reality of cap situations like these in the NHL are that they're always going to be long and dictated by events - in the long run, the situation will rationalise itself one way or another, and as long as it doesn't harm us it's alright. And I don't really see it harming us.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Is it really messed up beyond what's normal at a cap NHL org with an expensive core? And how many NHL orgs aren't on a wing and a prayer, hoping that someone out there will have the trade they want or that the FA they need will come to them?

You could say it makes this difficult. You could also say it presents an opportunity down the line to trade a forward and strengthen the team. Both seem true enough. I think the reality of cap situations like these in the NHL are that they're always going to be long and dictated by events - in the long run, the situation will rationalise itself one way or another, and as long as it doesn't harm us it's alright. And I don't really see it harming us.

We’ll see..I just don’t like us loading up our 13 forward spots with all non waiver exempt spots...we should have more flexibility there....making hockey trades when you want to isn’t always easy and you hate to dump good forwards just for the cap space...let’s hope some team really wants/needs JJ or that he develops an allergy that prevents him from playing hockey, if that’s what you can call what he does on the ice...

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Because a player who is known to be a reasonable NHL player at a reasonable price is more of sure thing than a prospect that you don't know about, who might be slightly cheaper, but might also turn out to be completely ineffective?

Again, if ZAR isn't on this roster does it even matter? He's not the difference between a playoff spot considering the depth behind him

If we were flush with cap space, I'd be all for this deal as he's cheap depth.
The problem is that the Pens need cheapER depth, even if those dollars don't seem significant (~250k)

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
From the team perspective you couldn't do much better. No complaints about this whatsoever. Not that ZAR or Blueger had much leverage but you have to like these two deals.

And under the circumstances I thought JR got good value for both Maatta and Kessel. One significant obstacle remains, but I think we're a better team now than we were to finish last season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
With how the team is currently constructed, I don't think ZAR is worth $1 million to this team. He's the 13th forward that doesn't really play the style of game that the Penguins thrive with. However, get back to me after they become cap compliant and that may change.

Frankly, I think we all should withhold judgment until ZAR's mom posts her thoughts in this thread. :D

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Again, if ZAR isn't on this roster does it even matter? He's not the difference between a playoff spot considering the depth behind him

The problem is that the Pens need cheapER depth, even if those dollars don't seem significant (~250k)

ZAR's contract alone was never going to make the difference between whether the Pens had to trade someone to be cap-compliant or not. At best, they gain 250k for going with a prospect (and most of the ELCs aren't actually league-minimum at the NHL-level, so the difference would be even less), which doesn't leave enough room to re-sign Pettersson. The only way to avoid paying this would have been to not give him a QO, since otherwise, he was going to arbitration, and that would have almost certainly been a higher cap hit, but not high enough they would be allowed to walk away from. So they would have been giving up an asset for nothing and reducing their depth, all to, what, save an amount that wouldn't even prevent them from having to trade someone?

ZAR's contract isn't the problem. Gudbranson at 4.0M, Tanev at 3.5M, and Jack Johnson at 3.25M are the problems.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I am guessing that Pettersson will agree to play for free.

For now, I believe that a team can go over the cap by up to 5% without having to be compliant.

Presumably, Pettersson's eventual signing will hasten Johnson's departure, although I suspect it will be one of Bjugstad or Rust.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

There is no depth behind him?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
For now, I believe that a team can go over the cap by up to 5% without having to be compliant.

Presumably, Pettersson's eventual signing will hasten Johnson's departure, although I suspect it will be one of Bjugstad or Rust.

They can.

Someone obviously has to go.

To be honest JR has done well in filling out the roster at a reasonable cost after getting hammered and signing Tanev to that overpay contract.

Reactions: Peat

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They can.

Someone obviously has to go.

To be honest JR has done well in filling out the roster at a reasonable cost after getting hammered and signing Tanev to that overpay contract.

I'll say what I said before he signed Tanev and what I said after he signed Tanev: Johnson is the whole ballgame.

If he can get out of this summer moving Johnson and Maatta without giving up a significant asset in the process, then this summer qualifies as a success.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
There is no depth behind him?

Yes there's plenty of depth that is cheaper behind him
That's why it was a dumb signing

If this were last offseason where we're going "who is going to play LW?" this would be a reasonable re-signing

But this off season we've got TOO many winger options on 1 way NHL deals, why add another one to the mix who isn't a difference maker in anyway shape or form?

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2