Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Zach Aston-Reese (2 years, $1m AAV)

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
With how the team is currently constructed, I don't think ZAR is worth $1 million to this team. He's the 13th forward that doesn't really play the style of game that the Penguins thrive with. However, get back to me after they become cap compliant and that may change.
13th forward but there is zero chance that we have no injuries. We are gonna need some solid depth and ZAR is exactly that. Very fine deal, IMO. After ZAR, there is really not much NHL material in our system, so yeah, this was needed. Once again, very fine deal.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
As it stands currently:

Jake - Crosby - Kahun
Chuck - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Tanev - Teddy - Simon
ZAR, AJ

Why is this an issue?

That is a legit dope lineup and I keep getting yelled at for saying Tanev is a 4th liner, but that's the same spot i keep penciling him in at.

Now remember - may the best man win in camp. That's what I want. May the best man win. But damn I LOVE that forward group. We are going to miss the snap of the wrist game change in Phil, but when I want to see a team focused around speed/youth and that mixture of grit - that's the lineup I see. Now just hide my eyes when you show me the defense.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'll make the counter argument to those who are defending this contract: is ZAR a difference maker? Is his presence or absence going to make/break our playoff chances? Is the dude not injury prone?

If not, then why re-sign him?

He's already useful, and he's 24 with about 60 career games. What if he becomes a difference maker? And what's the risk if he doesn't?

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
He's already useful, and he's 24 with about 60 career games. What if he becomes a difference maker? And what's the risk if he doesn't?

Weird, the exact same things were said about Sprong to defend him.
But something something too cocky, doesn't hit, something something

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
ZAR is a solid player. I'm fine with this.

Now trade JJ and get Petts signed already and call it a summer.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That is a legit dope lineup and I keep getting yelled at for saying Tanev is a 4th liner, but that's the same spot i keep penciling him in at.

Now remember - may the best man win in camp. That's what I want. May the best man win. But damn I LOVE that forward group. We are going to miss the snap of the wrist game change in Phil, but when I want to see a team focused around speed/youth and that mixture of grit - that's the lineup I see. Now just hide my eyes when you show me the defense.

To be fair at one point last season Kessel just seemed to be there on the powerplay. Not even close to how dangerous he was in the past. He was obviously checked out and disinterested. That Kessel I would not miss.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

It’s funny, because if we had Pettersson and Riikola patrolling the bottom two pairings with say Benn at 2 million x 2 on the LD bottom pairing we’d have a remarkable line-up.

Instead we have two of the worst D contracts in the league.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
GarbageOutdoors-625x352.jpg

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It’s funny, because if we had Pettersson and Riikola patrolling the bottom two pairings with say Benn at 2 million x 2 on the LD bottom pairing we’d have a remarkable line-up.

Instead we have two of the worst D contracts in the league.
Two? Gudbranson the other? He's been fantastic for us and if that continues he's worth is contract. But JJ is the only guy I see that is a bad contract. I would have still signed Benn and we would have been fine sans JJ.

Even without JJ we are fine because of the set up.

Dumoulin, Letang
Pettersson, Schultz
Riikola, Gudbranson

That is good to get shit rolling for this team. Riik and Pettersson together is not fair to either guy. We have enough vets to make it easy on these two to grow and there is some competition in wbs. The only annoyance I have is the whole Prow thing.

Reactions: canadianguy77

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Yes, I am...that’s not to say you can’t more production out of him by putting him in better spot to succeed, or that he can’t stay healthy and improve that way...but he’s 25 and that’s peak for non elite forwards, so he is what he is at this point...

My feeling is that is not necessarily the peak for college-route power forwards.

Also, it seems like that would be the peak for elite forwards. Non-elite forwards are much more of a mixed bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And for all the bitching that we have done about the Tanev signing, if they can keep this lineup realtively intact becoming cap compliant this is on paper at least MUCH more competitive a lineup, and one who fits exactly what we have been screaming for.

Faster.

Younger.

And, again at least on paper, a nightmare to play against. Possession numbers should be through the roof.

Scoring might be slightly lower, but I would rather a team like this one seems to be in the playoffs. Especially if Malkin can bounce back.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
And for all the *****ing that we have done about the Tanev signing, if they can keep this lineup realtively intact becoming cap compliant this is on paper at least MUCH more competitive a lineup, and one who fits exactly what we have been screaming for.

Faster.

Younger.

And, again at least on paper, a nightmare to play against. Possession numbers should be through the roof.

Scoring might be slightly lower, but I would rather a team like this one seems to be in the playoffs. Especially if Malkin can bounce back.

The problem with Tanev is not the player. The player is a great add. The contract... that's the problem.

Hopefully we can get rid of JJ without having to sacrifice a premium asset and sign Pettersson to a good contract.

Reactions: tom_servo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Two? Gudbranson the other? He's been fantastic for us and if that continues he's worth is contract. But JJ is the only guy I see that is a bad contract. I would have still signed Benn and we would have been fine sans JJ.

Even without JJ we are fine because of the set up.

Dumoulin, Letang
Pettersson, Schultz
Riikola, Gudbranson

That is good to get **** rolling for this team. Riik and Pettersson together is not fair to either guy. We have enough vets to make it easy on these two to grow and there is some competition in wbs. The only annoyance I have is the whole Prow thing.

I’ll hold off on declaring players fantastic until they prove it for more than 20 games. Oleksiak was “fantastic” by many people’s measures as well.

Reactions: tom_servo

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The problem with Tanev is not the player. The player is a great add. The contract... that's the problem.

Hopefully we can get rid of JJ without having to sacrifice a premium asset and sign Pettersson to a good contract.

As Kirk said that is the million dollar question which will make or break this off-season.

What will be the cost to become Cap compliant?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Why? Not about the contract but about his place on this team. I guess you never know what happens with injuries etc, but I’d rather have someone who’s waiver exempt called up from the WBS to replace him and be the 13th forward or compete for a place on L4...

You would rather not sign him instead of.. losing him to waivers?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’ll hold off on declaring players fantastic until they prove it for more than 20 games. Oleksiak was “fantastic” by many people’s measures as well.
No he wasn't. People were very torn on Oleksiak and he was also misused and miscast in a role he wasn't fit for.

Gudbranson is a vet that brought an element they knew he could bring and got him for that.

I know you like to just disagree with everything. But if you couldn't even figure that out, step away

Reactions: Pens17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad