Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Zach Aston-Reese (2 years, $1m AAV)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes there's plenty of depth that is cheaper behind him
That's why it was a dumb signing

If this were last offseason where we're going "who is going to play LW?" this would be a reasonable re-signing

But this off season we've got TOO many winger options on 1 way NHL deals, why add another one to the mix who isn't a difference maker in anyway shape or form?

As it stands currently:

Jake - Crosby - Kahun
Chuck - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Tanev - Teddy - Simon
ZAR, AJ

Why is this an issue?

Reactions: tom_servo

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
As it stands currently:

Jake - Crosby - Kahun
Chuck - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Tanev - Teddy - Simon
ZAR, AJ

Why is this an issue?

Because we're over the cap with Petts needing re-signed (a player who is going to play a major role this year)
People aren't understanding the context of what this team needs- league min players as the 11th, 12th, 13th and beyond F roles

We added a guy who makes MORE than the min

Reactions: Trade

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Because we're over the cap with Petts needing re-signed (a player who is going to play a major role this year)
People aren't understanding the context of what this team needs- league min players as the 11th, 12th, 13th and beyond F roles

Yes. Tanev’s was a stupid contract.

ZAR or not we’d essentially be paying this amount for any bottom sixer.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

How about we get out of the adjustment period known as the off-season before sounding the alarm.

You already said ZAR is not a difference maker. Neither is his salary. Get a grip.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Yes. Tanev’s was a stupid contract.

ZAR or not we’d essentially be paying this amount for any bottom sixer.

No argument here
Heck I wouldn't be arguing if Tanev came at a reasonable price

This is why I've stated JR tripled down on dumb these past 2 off seasons

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
How about we get out of the adjustment period known as the off-season before sounding the alarm.

You already said ZAR is not a difference maker. Neither is his salary. Get a grip.

I'll make the counter argument to those who are defending this contract: is ZAR a difference maker? Is his presence or absence going to make/break our playoff chances? Is the dude not injury prone?

If not, then why re-sign him?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Again no argument
But this ZAR thing is like buying a cord of firewood and throwing it onto a raging tire fire
It was a waste of money....

A 30 pt pace player for his past two years that has solid analytics defensively and offensively is hardly a waste of money. If anything this is a great deal..

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think the individuals that have an issue with this deal are the same people who take issue with JJ and Tanev signings. Because those deals are bad as it pertains to AAV as well as term, everything that comes after it will have a heightened level of scrutiny. I choose to take a myopic approach and judge this deal on it's own merit. But yes when the dominoes are falling and we're up against the cap, every little bit counts. Still, it's a good deal.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Arbitrators can only award one year deals so I guess ZAR wanted that second year for security.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I think the individuals that have an issue with this deal are the same people who take issue with JJ and Tanev signings. Because those deals are bad as it pertains to AAV as well as term everything that comes after it will have a heightended level of scrutiny. I choose to take a myopic approach and judge this deal on it's own merit.
I think the term and partial no trade clause for Tanev were absurd but I have no problem with the ZAR signing.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Are people that convinced that ZAR is done developing as a player? Because it doesn't take a lot in this league for $1 million to become a bargain.

Thats my take. I didn't really want to move on yet since we did see flashes here and there. But he would get hurt and then struggle after. So this is a perfect deal imo.

And also a contract that can be used as an asset if needed.

I see nothing to complain about with this one.

Reactions: tom_servo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Are people that convinced that ZAR is done developing as a player? Because it doesn't take a lot in this league for $1 million to become a bargain.

Yes, I am...that’s not to say you can’t more production out of him by putting him in better spot to succeed, or that he can’t stay healthy and improve that way...but he’s 25 and that’s peak for non elite forwards, so he is what he is at this point...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think the term and partial no trade clause for Tanev were absurd but I have no problem with the ZAR signing.
Same here. My point is however that IF JJ and Tanev weren't signed to those contracts I think this deal would be universally praised. There's no real downside because the contract in terms of AAV and term aren't overly cumbersome, and could in fact turn out to be a bargain. But again there are a few people who have might have angst about it due to our cap scenario. My apologies to the board if my post seems ''choppy'' as I'm posting in haste, my computer has been freezing up a lot lately. So I'm trying to be more concise, as I'm afraid my post will get deleted or won't post properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooManyHumans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->