Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Zach Aston-Reese (2 years, $1m AAV)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With how the team is currently constructed, I don't think ZAR is worth $1 million to this team. He's the 13th forward that doesn't really play the style of game that the Penguins thrive with. However, get back to me after they become cap compliant and that may change.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Great deal.

I think if Aston-Reese can remain healthy there's no reason he couldn't produce 10-12 goals and 20-25 points on the 4th line.

Reactions: Jacob

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
His production seemed very lucky last year but if he's healthy scratch material most of the year, it's not a lot of money.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Fair deal. Nothing to complain about as long as he's played in the bottom 6 when they are healthy.

Now dump JMFJ, sign Petts to a 3-ish year deal, and let's get the season started.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
This is fine in a vacuum. ZAR is a competent bottom 6 player. Still, I can't shake the sinking feeling that it's one more domino in the chain reaction that results in Rust getting traded for peanuts.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Pretty solid deal, its low enough that the team probably isn't forced to move him on.

Lets see how he goes.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why? Not about the contract but about his place on this team. I guess you never know what happens with injuries etc, but I’d rather have someone who’s waiver exempt called up from the WBS to replace him and be the 13th forward or compete for a place on L4...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why? Not about the contract but about his place on this team. I guess you never know what happens with injuries etc, but I’d rather have someone who’s waiver exempt called up from the WBS to replace him and be the 13th forward or compete for a place on L4...

First off, I dislike the idea of having a youngster jerked out of his developmental pathway just to be 13th forward and there's nobody in WBS who's a serious contender for L4 as things stand - maybe halfway through the season, there's some close ones, hell maybe even post-camp, but not right now.

But in terms of ZAR's place on the team - we do know we've got several injury prone forwards. We do know we've possibly got a forward trade coming. We do know we've got several inconsistent forwards and a very strong 13th forward, if that's what he is, to keep the pressure on them is good. And hell, if it comes to it, there's worse things than having someone that good at 13F if you can afford it... and maybe we can't given the defence, but fixing the defence probably means trading a good forward for a good dman, at which point enter ZAR.

As such, given the myriad of ways this could work out with him having a sensible place in the team, it makes sense to me. Maybe two months down the line he's 13th forward and we're in a weird cap place and it makes no sense why we kept him... but we can always trade him then. No need to race to conclusions about his place imo.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad