Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Tristan Jarry [2 years/675k AAV]

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like we've got three good-odds shots and we only need to make two. It would be nicer if they were more established and the odds felt more certain, but its still a good situation.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not worried about DeSmith being the backup, there are definitely some worse backups than him in the NHL. DeSmith was really solid for the Penguins last year, I don't see any reason to not expect that going forward. It's not like they need him to be crazy good or anything.

Jarry is probably being traded in the future, next offseason is a fair guess IMO.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I hope Jarry shows out AND Murray has a bounce back year. That gives you a very valuable trade asset. I actually think it’s more likely Murray proves to be ‘only’ an average starter than Jarry flames out, and that’s more about Jarry than Murray. I worry it sets up a difficult decision for us about who to keep moving forward.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not worried about DeSmith being the backup, there are definitely some worse backups than him in the NHL. DeSmith was really solid for the Penguins last year, I don't see any reason to not expect that going forward. It's not like they need him to be crazy good or anything.

Jarry is probably being traded in the future, next offseason is a fair guess IMO.

Why is Jarry being traded? Unless he gets to play 20+ games and looks like a stud and some team is willing to trade him as a starter, I see no reason to trade him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why is Jarry being traded? Unless he gets to play 20+ games and looks like a stud and some team is willing to trade him as a starter, I see no reason to trade him.

Because if DeSmith proves to be a solid backup, then Jarry remains one of our semi-valuable semi-expendable assets.

How much bigger of a role can DeSmith expect? He's not a NHL starting goalie, so he's just going to be a backup anywhere he goes.

Which is more than he'll be here if Jarry usurps him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Which is more than he'll be here if Jarry usurps him.
But his point was that they wouldn't trade Jarry because deSmith would leave for a bigger role. If they traded Jarry, deSmith's role in Pittsburgh would be as big of a role as it would be anywhere else in the NHL (if not bigger given Murray's injury history).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But his point was that they wouldn't trade Jarry because deSmith would leave for a bigger role. If they traded Jarry, deSmith's role in Pittsburgh would be as big of a role as it would be anywhere else in the NHL (if not bigger given Murray's injury history).

Ah, I missed that part.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because if DeSmith proves to be a solid backup, then Jarry remains one of our semi-valuable semi-expendable assets.

Sure, but again, unless he gets enough playing time to prove he's starter material, he isn't going to return all that much IMO. I'd prefer to keep a Murray/Jarry tandem as long as it's financially feasible.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sure, but again, unless he gets enough playing time to prove he's starter material, he isn't going to return all that much IMO. I'd prefer to keep a Murray/Jarry tandem as long as it's financially feasible.

Maybe not (although post-Gustavsson trade, I'm no longer quite so bearish on dman trades), but its a possibility.

Although Empo seems to be thinking mainly about the expansion draft... which also weighs heavily, but I see no need to act on that one before you absolutely have to.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because there is going to be another expansion draft and Jarry doesn't have a spot here long term.

We are going to have to lose somebody in the expansion and it's possible that Jarry is the best guy to lose. Not saying that, but it's too early for me to say we should trade him next off season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We are going to have to lose somebody in the expansion and it's possible that Jarry is the best guy to lose. Not saying that, but it's too early for me to say we should trade him next off season.

Its quite possible that we'd count losing only a back-up goaltender as a relatively cheap price to pay for an expansion draft. Depends on how much trade value he can accumulate vs the other guys (although, if its for two seasons time, I think we might be in a very strong position in that we can protect all our dmen easily in a 7-3).

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I truly like this, solid deal. That 1-way/2-way is interesting, not sure if I have seen that one before.

I thought the same thing. I was under the impression a deal was either one way or two way.

Either way, nice signing. Best case scenario, IMO, is that DeSmith plays well and we're able to trade him for something. I feel better about Murray/Jarry long term.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Few years ago, before MM came in and stole the show, everyone was saying how Jarry is next Pens starter. He had better pedigree and was overall better goalie than Murray skills wise. MM lit it up 1st 2 years, but last year was just ok. Hopefully he can get a full season in without injuries so that Pens can see what they actually have in MM. I would not be surprised if MM is traded for kings ransom one day and Jarry stays as #1.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
DeSmith will be a UFA next year. Jarry will be an RFA in 2 years. I could understand DeSmith backing up Murray this year, but why would he re-sign here knowing there would be a good chance of Jarry coming up the next year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Agreed. There doesn't seem to be any point in trading him unless it's for a starter's package (ie. what a guy like Martin Jones got for LA), and at this point Jarry's not proven enough to land that kind of deal.

The return would be underwhelming in comparison to what Jarry can provide for the Pens currently.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I hope Jarry shows out AND Murray has a bounce back year. That gives you a very valuable trade asset. I actually think it’s more likely Murray proves to be ‘only’ an average starter than Jarry flames out, and that’s more about Jarry than Murray. I worry it sets up a difficult decision for us about who to keep moving forward.

I'd still take the time though before trading anyone away
It's a great asset sure, but with Murray and the little injuries he has suffered in the last 2 seasons I would trade anyone just yet, not before the 19-20 season

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
DeSmith will be a UFA next year. Jarry will be an RFA in 2 years. I could understand DeSmith backing up Murray this year, but why would he re-sign here knowing there would be a good chance of Jarry coming up the next year.
Maybe I'm misreading your original post, but I took your point as "They won't trade Jarry because deSmith might leave for a bigger role." But if they traded Jarry, then deSmith has as big of a role in Pittsburgh as he would anywhere else, so why wouldn't he resign with the Pens?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I hope they don't trade Jarry. deSmith is a fine back-up, but I think Jarry could be more than that.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Maybe I'm misreading your original post, but I took your point as "They won't trade Jarry because deSmith might leave for a bigger role." But if they traded Jarry, then deSmith has as big of a role in Pittsburgh as he would anywhere else, so why wouldn't he resign with the Pens?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I hope they don't trade Jarry. deSmith is a fine back-up, but I think Jarry could be more than that.
When I said bigger role, I meant if he thinks there is a big chance after this year he won't be backing up Murray, I could see him going somewhere that he would be a legit backup.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I feel like we've got three good-odds shots and we only need to make two. It would be nicer if they were more established and the odds felt more certain, but its still a good situation.
It’s a nice change I have to say, rather than veteran and hoping the wheels stay on. We have young and hoping for potential. It maybe different flavor same dinner table. But it is refreshing to be on the other side of the goalie position. And if goes downhill, goalie prices are never THAT high we can’t find a temporary solution.

Reactions: Peat

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
League minimum salary in NHL for both of these years - can't get any better than that. And because of that his AAV in 2019-20 is actually less than league minimum salary that season!

Hopefully he'll have a great season in AHL, while getting a few games in NHL (hopefully just during b2b's over DeSmith and not because of injuries), and then he'd be ready for full-time backup duty in 2019-20 season as DeSmith moves on as an UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad