Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Conor Sheary (3 years, $3M AAV)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I find myself agreeing with Jacob and WC way too much lately. What the hell is going on?! :laugh: Now i don't even remember what I was disagreeing very much so with in regards to WC just 4-5 months ago. It was something.. I just cannot remember.

I am just ecstatic with that Sheary deal today. I love when a deal works great for both sides.

I forgot what it was too, but curiosity got the best of me.

Turns out it was a squabble about lines and just how far-reaching "The Kunitz Effect" was haha.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Turns out it was a squabble about lines and just how far-reaching "The Kunitz Effect" was haha.

I think the only thing I continually disagree with you about is your mancrush for Ray Shero and how well he did as GM. :D

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I found this in my travels too, just in case anyone here thinks about using Kovacevic as any kind of talent evaluator:

I typically listen to Sirius XM NHL Radio if i ever have the rare want to listen to crap sports talk, but today I tuned into Madden/DK as they talked about the Pens. Yikes.... I completely understand differing opinions, but DK/Madden seem to have no ****ing clue and just generalize comments at times.

Here are just the few things DK said:

3) Guentzel is going to get smashed if we play the Caps or Blue Jackets in the playoffs, therefore Sprong is more valuable because he has a bigger frame. This was said by DK.

Why this is dumb: We need speed to beat Washington or CBJ. We do not want to combat physicality. We shouldn't even be thinking about taking the approach of physicality. That is ****ing ridiculously stupid.

Guentzel's statline against the big bad Jackets AND Caps:

9 goals and 14 points in 12 games.

Good call.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Overpaid: Hagelin

Fairly Paid: Letang, Schultz, Maatta, Dumoulin, Sheary, Hornqvist, Hunwick, Kuhnhackl, Reaves, Rowney, Archibald, Niemi, Pouliot

Underpaid: Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Cole, Guentzel, Rust, Wilson, Murray

Crap, I was only thinking about skaters and completely forgot about goalies! Good call with Murray.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sprong 6'0 180
Guentzel 5'11 180

All about that bigger frame, yo. :help:

Artist's conception of a shared afternoon off during training camp:

charlesatlasad1.jpg

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Eh, I think Sprong has a bigger build and could put on more muscle than Guentzel but who knows if he will/should. Shockingly players aren't ****ing bodybuilders trying to get as big as possible.

Yeah, you can tell Sprong has wider shoulders and thus has the potential for more upper body growth, but that's irrelevant to how they would perform right now and I see no reason to believe that will significantly alter the long term outlook for either player. Even if Guentzel's frame is closer to being maxed out, the impact is negligible. Like you said, they aren't bodybuilders.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sprong is much more stout than Jake at this point, I don't care what the numbers say.

I'm pretty sure Sprong himself said he's up around 190. He also had pretty thick legs even before he was drafted.

But it doesn't matter much. Some guys are twigs but are well-balanced and slippery. Some guys build themselves up like tanks but can barely move.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Guentzel's pretty damn good at winning battles for his size. Sprong wasn't last time he was in the NHL. Good news that he's added some muscle.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Guentzel's pretty damn good at winning battles for his size. Sprong wasn't last time he was in the NHL. Good news that he's added some muscle.

Sprong was also 18, but I digress. It does appear Sprong has more room to grow 'physically.'

And listing Guentzel at 5'11 would be fairly generous I would say.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Overpaid: Hagelin

Fairly Paid: Letang, Schultz, Maatta, Dumoulin, Sheary, Hornqvist, Hunwick, Kuhnhackl, Reaves, Rowney, Archibald, Niemi, Pouliot

Underpaid: Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Cole, Guentzel, Rust, Wilson, Murray

I'd move Phil to the "Fairly Paid" category, otherwise I completely agree.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
While it's great to have lower body and core strength, winning board battles is as much about will and leveraging your angles/weight as it is about muscle. Some guys beef up but never get that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

He's been off the team for 1 month and i've completely erased him from my mind. #14 will go back to being Milan Kraft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad