Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Conor Sheary (3 years, $3M AAV)

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
the way they club is messaging it on social media (e.g., Sid & the kids are back), I wouldn't expect this is a sign and trade.

OK, now i want him traded just to stop that line nickname. Or any of the 3, really, including Crosby. Just make it stop.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
About half a million less than I was expecting. Solid.

I still wonder if he's going to be moved for that coveted 3C though, and that's why JR hasn't pulled the trigger on any deals yet.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Good deal. I got one right.

Now that we're done, here were my predictions. Actual numbers underlined.
Dumo 5 at 3.9m 6 at 4.1
Sheary 3 at 3m 3 at 3
Schultz 5 at 5.2m 3 at 5.5
Bones 4 at 3.9m 4 at 4.1 NSH
Here's a link to the thread if anyone wants to dig for some of the predictions.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=134019537#post134019537

I feel like we did pretty well. JR has us pretty well taken care of for a 3 year window, with some flexibility built in. And then a separate two year window. We're so damn lucky to be Pens fans.

17-18 Done
18-19 Horny and Cole UFA, Rust and Sprong RFA
19-20 Hags UFA, Jake RFA

Then we have a bit of a retooling.
20-21 Sheary, Schultz, and Hunwick are UFA, Murray is RFA
21-22 Nothing notable yet

Too far out to predict anything at this point.
22-23 Geno, Letang, Phil, Maatta all UFA.

Last edited:

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Awesome :) I thought his cap hit would be around the $3.5m mark..

I have to say that the deals that JR is signing players to are all reasonable value and attractive enough that they can be moved if necessary.. good stuff

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I found this in my travels too, just in case anyone here thinks about using Kovacevic as any kind of talent evaluator:

Guentzel's statline against the big bad Jackets AND Caps:

9 goals and 14 points in 12 games.

Good call.

While I love patting myself on my own back, it's amazing how so many HF members knew right away prior to camp and definitely in camp that Guentzel was about as ready as you can be for the NHL. That quote was in February and we all knew that. How in the WORLD do DK and Madden not see the same thing? How was it even a question?

They literally said Guentzel wouldn't be able to play against the Caps or CBJ in the playoffs. :biglaugh: Woooops! Over a ppg. Thanks for your insight, DK/Madden!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Good deal. I got one right.

Now that we're done, here were my predictions. Actual numbers underlined.

Here's a link to the thread if anyone wants to dig for some of the predictions.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=134019537#post134019537

I feel like we did pretty well. JR has us pretty well taken care of for a 3 year window, with some flexibility built in. And then a separate two year window. We're so damn lucky to be Pens fans.

17-18 Done
18-19 Horny and Cole UFA, Rust and Sprong RFA
19-20 Hags UFA, Jake RFA

Then we have a bit of a retooling.
20-21 Sheary, Schultz, and Hunwick are UFA, Murray is RFA
21-22 Nothing notable yet

Too far out to predict anything at this point.
22-23 Geno, Letang, Phil, Maatta all UFA.

Excellent predictions. You were really close on every one of them. I think we were all off on the Schultz one. I figured if it went that high, that the team would be 5 years or more. I guess he wanted a few years and then one more big cash in contract (that or the team didn't want to commit long term).

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
OK, now i want him traded just to stop that line nickname. Or any of the 3, really, including Crosby. Just make it stop.

100% agree. I cringe when i see someone call it that. Or refer to Jake or Sheary as Crosby's kids. So weird.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I guess Dumoulin and Schultz took a lot of discounts compared to Conor.This really isn't a good deal considering the playoffs he just had.Just my opinion.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
It's 3 million....there is no way possible that its a bad deal. 53 points in 61 games. We're lucky we got him at 3 million.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They literally said Guentzel wouldn't be able to play against the Caps or CBJ in the playoffs. :biglaugh: Woooops! Over a ppg. Thanks for your insight, DK/Madden!

It's literally impossible for him to have been more wrong. He listed off the teams that would "smash" Guentzel by name, then the kid goes out and lights them up one after the other to the tune of 9 goals in 12 games en route to leading the playoffs in goal scoring.

But being the accountable person he is, I'm sure he'll acknowledge his mistake if it's brought to his attention.

The Gobfather*

May 2, 2014
While I love patting myself on my own back, it's amazing how so many HF members knew right away prior to camp and definitely in camp that Guentzel was about as ready as you can be for the NHL. That quote was in February and we all knew that. How in the WORLD do DK and Madden not see the same thing? How was it even a question?

They also said Kunitz would be on the top line by game two cause guentzal was so afraid of big teams and coaching staff needed a veteran

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I was away all weekend and only saw this late last night.

I think it's a good deal.

If he continues to explode with Sid on the top line, we have a kick arse winger on a sweetheart of a contract. At the end of which, we can likely trade for a fortune (edit .. If they can't afford to keep him of course)

Or

He turns into an avg winger who is still on a decent contract

Or

He turns into a pumpkin and his contract isn't handcuffing the team like these stupid 7 and 8 year contracts.

I can't really say anything bad about this.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I was seriously hoping for 3 years @ 10M total. We got 1m saved. Wow I think this is a terrific deal. Short term, too, so he can go get paiiiiid when it's done.

Really great stuff.

It is a decent deal both ways but I don't see a huge payday in the future. I hope he is smart and banks his money.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
They also said Kunitz would be on the top line by game two cause guentzal was so afraid of big teams and coaching staff needed a veteran

Pgh sports media protects its favorite players... always has and always will.. see the disdain for Matt Murray cause he had the audacity to displace MAF for an example...

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
For the 15/16 season, the league average salary was 2.9M (https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...n-major-american-sports-leagues/#1800b40e1050). Back then, the cap was 71.4M, and for this coming season, it will be 75M. That's a gain of 3.6M, which spread over 23 players means an average gain of 0.156M.

So we can safely estimate that the League Average Salary for the 17/18 season will be at least 3M.

If you think Sheary is an above average player, this is a good contract for the Pens.

If you think Sheary is an average player who is producing above his natural ability due to being on Crosby's wing, this is still a very reasonable deal.

If you think Sheary is a below-average player, you're wrong.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That's the "I want to stay with Sid and Geno and win more Cups" deal.

Sure I guess. But it's also a deal that gives Sheary 9m to fall back on if he can't produce as a top 6 scoring winger.

What happens if he'd taken a 1 yr arbitration award for 3m (or even 3.5m)? and stumbled big next season (say 12g/31pts)... the odds of making that up are not great. This contract (assuming he doesn't drop off big time) also means he's likely staying in Pittsburgh. If he's staying here, he could really boost his numbers for when he's a UFA.

This is just another example of the player taking the guaranteed money to ensure his long term financial well being.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Sure I guess. But it's also a deal that gives Sheary 9m to fall back on if he can't produce as a top 6 scoring winger.

What happens if he'd taken a 1 yr arbitration award for 3m (or even 3.5m)? and stumbled big next season (say 12g/31pts)... the odds of making that up are not great. This contract (assuming he doesn't drop off big time) also means he's likely staying in Pittsburgh. If he's staying here, he could really boost his numbers for when he's a UFA.

This is just another example of the player taking the guaranteed money to ensure his long term financial well being.

I'm sure it factored in. Just like the risk of getting the one year in arbitration, getting traded and floundering on a different team had to be a concern. This is guaranteed money and a good chance of staying on a team he's fit quite well on so far. Even if he's away from Crosby he'll still fit the style, won't be playing with crap, won't be out of an offensive role, won't be in front of a bad defense struggling to move the puck or accentuating his defensive gaffes every time and Murray won't constantly let in goals from those screw ups. It's a flattering situation for a player like him.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Excellent predictions. You were really close on every one of them. I think we were all off on the Schultz one. I figured if it went that high, that the team would be 5 years or more. I guess he wanted a few years and then one more big cash in contract (that or the team didn't want to commit long term).

Thanks. I got lucky this year. I'm usually way too low and then grumbling about the cost. :help:

I agree. My guess with Schultz, I'm leaning towards JR wanting to limit the risk and give us some flexibility down the road. When he saw the numbers his agent was tossing around, he probably thought that there's no way he can risk a long term deal at that hit. Not with the young guys we're going to have to sign. Just a guess though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad