Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Conor Sheary (3 years, $3M AAV)

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Decent, but I still hope he's on the move for a center. Not because I don't like him, but Guentzel surpassed him and Sprong and ZAR could end up top 6 (big "ifs" but the point here is that it would be trading from a position of depth to fill a hole). Good contact either way.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
Decent, but I still hope he's on the move for a center. Not because I don't like him, but Guentzel surpassed him and Sprong and ZAR could end up top 6 (big "ifs" but the point here is that it would be trading from a position of depth to fill a hole). Good contact either way.

the way they club is messaging it on social media (e.g., Sid & the kids are back), I wouldn't expect this is a sign and trade.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
the way they club is messaging it on social media (e.g., Sid & the kids are back), I wouldn't expect this is a sign and trade.

Good deal. Of the three, I think Schultz was most overpaid, but that's part term, part leverage. None of these deals will be crippling unless Schultz reverts to Edmonton days. I look for a cheap 3C like Karlsson unless it's someone like Duchene and Sheary is going the other way.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well this is a really fair deal IMO. Feared he'd get more and would become someone you would want to deal because of his contract.. but for 3 mil I can't complain.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Finally a deal where we didn't overpay as with other contracts...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Finally a deal where we didn't overpay as with other contracts...

Whaaaat? Name all the overpaid pens right now. And then name me the underpaid ones. :laugh:

And i disagree ogre. I think hags is a 4m versatile player on pretty much any team. We are just solid at that position so it's more of a luxury right now

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Good deal. Of the three, I think Schultz was most overpaid, but that's part term, part leverage. None of these deals will be crippling unless Schultz reverts to Edmonton days. I look for a cheap 3C like Karlsson unless it's someone like Duchene and Sheary is going the other way.

That's the name I zero in on if I'm GMJR at this point. His 1M cap hit and RFA status next year means he will fit in very nicely here, and with his usage shouldn't demand a massive contract. If a 2nd gets it done, I do that right now.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Move Hagelin or Maatta and we can grab whoever we want at 3C. JR da man.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Whaaaat? Name all the overpaid pens right now. And then name me the underpaid ones. :laugh:

And i disagree ogre. I think hags is a 4m versatile player on pretty much any team. We are just solid at that position so it's more of a luxury right now

He's overpaid for what he brings to the Penguins based on their cap and roster situation

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's the deal I wanted, maybe a little under. Happy days.

REAVES

Jun 24, 2017
It means I would have prefered under 3m and 2yr.

Quite amazing to see everyone love this considering all the *****es he got during the playoffs and how he has been up there with Maatta as top trade bait.

2 years puts him at UFA. It was always 1 in arbitration to keep him RFA or a 3+. You are not getting the top 5 on 5 per 60 scorer in the NHL for 2+ mill lol.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
How can somebody even think that he is overpayed? The closest comparison I can made is Tyler Johnson that signed a 3 years/10 million $ after one good season, and that was in 2014 ... and Sheary's contract is 1 million less.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West

Overpaid: Dumo, Hagelin, Reaves

Underpaid: Crosby, Sheary, Guentzel, Rust, Schultz, arguably Horny and Wilson. Also, based on his contribution to the individual teams that pay him, Kessel is an underpaid Penguin and an overpaid Leaf :laugh:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Underpaid: Crosby, Sheary, Guentzel, Rust, Schultz, arguably Horny and Wilson. Also, based on his contribution to the individual teams that pay him, Kessel is an underpaid Penguin and an overpaid Leaf :laugh:

Overpaid: Hagelin

Fairly Paid: Letang, Schultz, Maatta, Dumoulin, Sheary, Hornqvist, Hunwick, Kuhnhackl, Reaves, Rowney, Archibald, Niemi, Pouliot

Underpaid: Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Cole, Guentzel, Rust, Wilson, Murray

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
FINALLY a deal where I feel that we are saving some cash, felt like both Dumo and Schultz got what they deserved or slightly above but here we got a player on a good contract for us.

Yeah, this was my first reaction. This is the first deal that feels a bit like a "hometown discount". The Dumoulin and Schultz deals seemed more like fair market value without any sort of loyalty discount.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Yeah. I keep forgetting Reaves exists (If only JR had) and Dumoulin is someone I think is a bit overpaid but it's not worthy of full on complaining. Hagelin is overpaid and you can ignore it as long as there's isn't a cap problem. It's a minor thing but it's there and someone like Dumoulin is a necessity so you suck it up. They have a lot of good contracts to balance it out and I don't think anyone is unmovable so eh.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Overpaid: Hagelin

Fairly Paid: Letang, Schultz, Maatta, Dumoulin, Sheary, Hornqvist, Hunwick, Kuhnhackl, Reaves, Rowney, Archibald, Niemi, Pouliot

Underpaid: Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Cole, Guentzel, Rust, Wilson, Murray

I would put Malkin and Kessel in the "fairly paid" category, given that Malkin plays only 60+ games a year and Kessel doesn't play defense or fight for pucks during the RS. I might put Letang in the overpaid category because he says often not available

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
This is awesome!

I can't see HOW some are upset with this. We finally have two young wingers that mesh well with Sid at bargain prices, and there are complaints. :facepalm:

First world problems.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I would put Malkin and Kessel in the "fairly paid" category, given that Malkin plays only 60+ games a year and Kessel doesn't play defense or fight for pucks during the RS. I might put Letang in the overpaid category because he says often not available

To be honest I'm happy for Kessel to coast during the regular season as it keeps him healthy come playoff time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad