Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Bryan Rust (4 years, $3.5 million AAV)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d like to see this top 9 given a chance because if Sprong could work on LW (and he’s the only RW with a chance to work there), then most of our problems will be solved because all of our best offensive players will be in the top 9

Jake- Sid- Horny
Sprong-G- Rust
Hags-Brass-Kessel

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I would’ve move Maatta last season for a better Sheahan and signed Hainsey to the deal he got in Toronto. Likely would have signed Bonino to the Nashville deal.

I would have played Sprong in our top nine last year to get a feel for who he was moving forward and either moved him or Rust this off season for a LW improvement depending on how good he was.

I wouldn’t give every player 3 years + at their UFA value.
What is with you and Hainsey? He 's 37 and not good.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Nice gamble, JR. This is a player I wish we could clone.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Average over the last 2 seasons and 161 games in total (includes playoffs)

Per 82 games
Goals: 19
Assists: 24

Reactions: Star67

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I’d like to see this top 9 given a chance because if Sprong could work on LW (and he’s the only RW with a chance to work there), then most of our problems will be solved because all of our best offensive players will be in the top 9

Jake- Sid- Horny
Sprong-G- Rust
Hags-Brass-Kessel
I'd definitely move Rust to LW before Sprong. Sully doesn't seem to want to keep him there, but he's looked good there.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Really solid numbers. My worry with Rust is that he cannot stay healthy for more than 60 games a year.

This and if one of the injuries permanently effects his skating/game. I’m happy he’s here for 4 more years and it’s a better contract than what Hagelin got but the injuries will hurt more now.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd definitely move Rust to LW before Sprong. Sully doesn't seem to want to keep him there, but he's looked good there.

I would tend to agree. I would like to see Sprong get a couple shifts at LW out of curiosity. Having his stick to the inside of the ice to release shots...very Jimmy Neal.

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Average over the last 2 seasons and 161 games in total (includes playoffs)

Per 82 games
Goals: 19
Assists: 24
Only 5 of his 79 career points are on the PP.

He’s basically as productive as any top 6 winger at ES, despite not even always playing there.

Reactions: Star67

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We had Bryan's left handed brother Matt in the system at one point.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Really not thrilled at $3.5M. Not awful, but I think it's a tad too much.

A possible silver lining is this makes Sheary more likely to be moved.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Nothing against Rust, but I'm not a fan of paying him this much money for this long.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
The salary is a little higher because we are buying 2 years of his UFA Status.

Watch over the next couple of days what comparable UFA wingers are going to end up getting and $3.5 is going to look pretty reasonable.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Nothing against Rust, but I'm not a fan of paying him this much money for this long.

Yeah. I really like Rust and I'm glad he's in the team's plans going forward. But I just can't love this contract too much.

I'd love to see him stay healthy and make this deal a bit friendlier.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Yeah. I really like Rust and I'm glad he's in the team's plans going forward. But I just can't love this contract too much.

I'd love to see him stay healthy and make this deal a bit friendlier.

RYAN REAVES

Vegas Golden Knights

Right wing
Cap Hit: $2,775,000

You may begin your process of feeling better about this now.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Another fun way of looking at this -

Rust and JvR scored the same number of non-PP points last season. Rust will cost half as much as JvR for the next four seasons.

Reactions: EightyOne

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
RYAN REAVES

Vegas Golden Knights

Right wing
Cap Hit: $2,775,000

You may begin your process of feeling better about this now.

That's a silly contract, for sure. But I don't really see what that has to do with Rust and the Penguins.

It's no huge deal. I like Rust well enough (though didn't really like how they used him on Crosby's wing a lot of last year), I'm just not head over heels about this contract. A bit too rich... a bit too long. Like I said, if the guy can stay healthy for a change and keep on producing, it'll go from "meh" to "great." But he's no longer a bargain, that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad