Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Bryan Rust (4 years, $3.5 million AAV)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's a silly contract, for sure. But I don't really see what that has to do with Rust and the Penguins.

It's no huge deal. I like Rust well enough (though didn't really like how they used him on Crosby's wing a lot of last year), I'm just not head over heels about this contract. A bit too rich... a bit too long. Like I said, if the guy can stay healthy for a change and keep on producing, it'll go from "meh" to "great." But he's no longer a bargain, that's for sure.

Bargain status depends on comparables around the league. That's one of the comparables and I think once the rest of the free agency contracts come in, Rust's contract is going to look a tad less rich.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Some signings to compare Rust with

Blake Comeau 3 years @ 2.4m
Jay Beagle 4 years @ 3.0m
Antonie Roussel 4 years @ 3.0m
Matt Calvert 3 years @ 2.8m
Leo Komarov 4 years @ 3.0m
Michael Grabner 3 years @ 3.35m

So it would have cost 3 million to replace Rust with an older, inferior player.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I like that Calvert contract to be honest. Agree that Rust is better than all of those players, but I would have been happy with Rust and Calvert. Then sign a cheaper depth D. Oh well. Hope JJ is a stud here.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I mean, if we moved Rust it likely would’ve been through trade for a comparable LW or D.

Also, I think all of those players outside of Grabner and Comeau bring very different elements than Rust.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I don't think any of those players have near the potential Rust has. Grabner can put up goals, but that's about it. I think Rust, if he can stay healthy, has very legitimate 45-50 point potential. I would have taken the Calvert, Komarov, and Grabner deals though. I think they were all signed to good numbers.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think any of those players have near the potential Rust has. Grabner can put up goals, but that's about it. I think Rust, if he can stay healthy, has very legitimate 45-50 point potential. I would have taken the Calvert, Komarov, and Grabner deals though. I think they were all signed to good numbers.
Maroon, a guy that has put up 40+ the last couple of years, took a sub 2m/yr contract.

The UFA period is weird.

Reactions: Bryan Rust

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Maroon, a guy that has put up 40+ the last couple of years, took a sub 2m/yr contract.

The UFA period is weird.

Someone on one of the free agency shows talked about GM’s being concerned about skating. There were quite a few interested but something was holding them back.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Someone on one of the free agency shows talked about GM’s being concerned about skating. There were quite a few interested but something was holding them back.
I mean he's been around the league for a while now, if that was a concern, it seems odd for them to be pointing it out now, but hey good for Maroon heading back home to Misery.

Reactions: Bryan Rust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad