Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Bryan Rust (4 years, $3.5 million AAV)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
A touch more than I'd have liked per year, by like $500k or so, but not bad. I think Rust is as underrated player as far as importance to this team goes, so having him around for several more years is great.

See ya, Sheary. Good riddance.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

seabs926

Jun 14, 2009
It's a fair deal, but I think it shows a trend for JR. He's done a great job overall as a GM, but he rarely gets the better of the contract vs the player. Not a terrible thing as pissing off players in contract negotiations has risk involved, but it would be nice to get a few bargain contracts on proven players.
He just did on Dumo.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's a fair deal, but I think it shows a trend for JR. He's done a great job overall as a GM, but he rarely gets the better of the contract vs the player. Not a terrible thing as pissing off players in contract negotiations has risk involved, but it would be nice to get a few bargain contracts on proven players.

He also is showing the Shero thing where he is attached to the Cup winner players that are tough decisions. Dumo, Schultz, Rust, and Sheary.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He also is showing the Shero thing where he is attached to the Cup winner players that are tough decisions. Dumo, Schultz, Rust, and Sheary.

None of those players are unmovable though. In the case of Dumo and Schultz it isn't like we had a flood of defensive prospects that were ready to fill those roles.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sorry, had to spend some time with my Rust Body Pillow, in celebration.

CSC2yJE.gif

DOA54Vg.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
None of those players are unmovable though. In the case of Dumo and Schultz it isn't like we had a flood of defensive prospects that were ready to fill those roles.

They aren’t “unmovable”, but are being paid good contracts for winning the cup.

I guess if you believe our forward group and top four D moving forward can win another it is fine.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Seems like a fair deal with neither side clearly wining. I sort of assume I side more with the team, so if I would have preferred a little less AAV then this is likely his value.

Also agree with some of what others are saying, signing Rust to this contract seems like the writing is on the wall to move a contract. Unless this team is giving up on Sprong either Hags or Sheary has got to go.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Look up how much wingers hovering around 45pts a season get paid. Then how many of those can pk (successfully) and play either a defensive or offensive role on any line? Rust < 4M is a steal imo.

Hovering around 45 points and scoring 45 points are two different things. His career PPG translates to 35 points in an 82 game season. And he probably only averages like 65 games per season, which is an even lesser amount of points. And where does he even fit? Fourth line RW? Third line LW? Not exactly big time point production lines there. And with minimal PP time. He’s going to have to really show me something for me to get on board with this deal.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think someone is going to have to move from RW to LW after this deal because I can’t see Rust playing on the fourth line at that price and Sprong is not best used on the fourth line....

Since Rust is better at RW, I hope Sully tries Sprong at LW...as a RH shot, he might even be better defensively there....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think someone is going to have to move from RW to LW after this deal because I can’t see Rust playing on the fourth line at that price and Sprong is not best used on the fourth line....

Since Rust is better at RW, I hope Sully tries Sprong at LW...as a RH shot, he might even be better defensively there....

Rust shouldn't be on the LW. He's a possession driver and good 200 foot player on the RW, not even close to as much on the LW.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rust shouldn't be on the LW. He's a possession driver and good 200 foot player on the RW, not even close to as much on the LW.

Agree...that’s what I said....I’d like Sully to try Sprong at LW

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
None of those guys are over paid, if anything, he's got them at market value or a little less than. That's actually what you call a magnificent GM with getting that shit done because on the open market, those guys would have received more. Even Sheary, getting 18 goals on a bad year for 3m/yr is better than most trash people pay way more. People need to pump their hate breaks a little.

JR has done a great job with those contracts so far. It's just a numbers game, Sheary has to go if you want the balance on D that he wants. Unfortunately. Oh and Sheahan being a fantastic bottom 6 C needs to be kept.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agree...that’s what I said....I’d like Sully to try Sprong at LW
Rust is actually half decent at LW and he won't try him there for more than a few games, but then he'll play Horny on LW and Kessel on LW for absolutely no logical reason at all.

Good luck with that hope.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
None of those guys are over paid, if anything, he's got them at market value or a little less than. That's actually what you call a magnificent GM with getting that **** done because on the open market, those guys would have received more. Even Sheary, getting 18 goals on a bad year for 3m/yr is better than most trash people pay way more. People need to pump their hate breaks a little.

JR has done a great job with those contracts so far. It's just a numbers game, Sheary has to go if you want the balance on D that he wants. Unfortunately. Oh and Sheahan being a fantastic bottom 6 C needs to be kept.

Cool. Can’t wait to see your mind change in two years :)

Reactions: Shady Machine

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
They aren’t “unmovable”, but are being paid good contracts for winning the cup.

I guess if you believe our forward group and top four D moving forward can win another it is fine.

So what would you have done? tried to sign replacements through Free Agency?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Re: Sheary.

Let's look at his goals, out of his 18, 16 were ES.

Draisaitl had 16
Zuccarello had 15
Athanasiou had 15
Voracek had 15
Nelson had 15

Etc.

Sheary might be crap here, but if you actually look at his numbers, his situation, etc, without the bias, he's a solid bottom 6 depth winger that can produce well at even strength.

A lot of wingers suffered on the Pens with the constant shifting, the biggest issue for me was that, constant changes when it wasn't so much that as the problem as it was the system needing adjustments and the coaching staff failed miserably there. I have no issues with the players, because if they were kept on a line and given units to stick with, which was supposedly "the plan" but never f***ing stuck, we'd see better production.

The team/staff was all about "2-man units with 1 interchangeable winger" and well, that was a flat out lie last season.

Reactions: Lomez

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Hovering around 45 points and scoring 45 points are two different things. His career PPG translates to 35 points in an 82 game season. And he probably only averages like 65 games per season, which is an even lesser amount of points. And where does he even fit? Fourth line RW? Third line LW? Not exactly big time point production lines there. And with minimal PP time. He’s going to have to really show me something for me to get on board with this deal.

That's the beauty of Rust. He fits anywhere. KIRK may hate him on Sid's wing - but he has shown chemistry there before. Players have their ups and downs and I'm not sure anyone outside of Hags/Horny/Malkin (Edit: Horny and Malkin actually didn't come into their own until Spring) and Sid/Guentzel have shown consistent chemistry night in and night out. There were times when Sheary looked lost with Sid and times he looked like he could read his mind. Neal had his moments with Geno and plenty of absolute idiotic moments in between.

I personally hate hedging bets on guys who only fit in one part of the lineup. That's where teams fail - because guys will have off nights / off series and/or injuries...then what? When Sheary left Sid he went through a nasty slump..THAT'S a case of a guy getting overpaid. Kessel in this past playoffs? Does anyone have the true answer? He looked f'n terrible away from Geno. I'd much rather have guys like Rust, Hornqvist, and Hags who can be moved up and down the lineup - without complaint - when needed. Gives coach flexibility which believe it or not helps you win hockey games. Sully doesn't change things up just for shts and gigs. We got worked this year because we had no legs and Trotz figured out how to best us outside of the top line.

It's a mindset thing that some folks around here have - that I honestly don't understand. Which is fine I'm not bashing it. I just prefer not to spend eternity moaning about finding the 'perfect' wing for Sid or Geno, when you've got a cheap guy who causes NO drama signing at freakin 3.5 mil. How in the world does that translate to Sprong (@750k) moving? Rust is a known commodity - which is perhaps where this griping is coming from (folks who need change for the sake of change - mistaking change for progress) - we know what we're getting out of him and what he can bring, yet we'd rather take a chance on someone else? And for what? Maybe 1M savings?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad