Rumor: Penguins prepared to sign Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He is a #5 on this team you can acquire that or a # 4 to put Maatta on the bottom pairing all the time. Hainsey, Daley, Kempny all acquired for scraps in season.

JR wants someone to begin the season. It’s part of the team plan. They want someone who can play more minutes and also bring some physicality.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If he was 24 and not 31 I might agree...he’s never put it together...if they needed a long term to keep the cap hit down, then they shouldn’t be signing him..let someone else give him that bad contract...there are other cheaper and as good (or bad) alternatives...

That's just it. I do not see this as a bad contract. A bad contract is an immovable contract. We don't know yet what the actual cap hit is but a six-year deal under $3 million per works for me. And when you say he has never put it together, I would agree to a point. I mean, he has never become a superstar despite the tools for superstardom. That said, we are three seasons removed from his last 40-point campaign. Just a year ago, he was a plus-23 on Columbus. Yeah, Columbus was a good team but he was a part of that. He averaged almost 22 minutes/game and was plus-23. That was the season before they acquired Panarin.

JR was able to deal Hunwick and he may have gotten a third rounder out of it. He was able to deal Scuderi and he got back a key contributor to two Cup championships. OK, he only played in the playoffs one of those years, but still.

The point is, JR wants the player because he thinks he can contribute, and he wants him for as little cap hit as possible. He knows that if Jack Johnson is a major bust here, like Hunwick was, or like Scuderi was the second time around, he is confident he can get something done to remove himself from this contract. I have the utmost faith that JR can move this deal, which in my opinion will be a lot easier to move than either of the aforementioned contracts.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
This is the only thing that gives me some hope about this deal

27.25 / 22.31

His average ice time per year (most recent to oldest). Even the last 2 years where his time is down is mostly due to him not getting any PP time, he is still being used as much as ever the other times.

If he is this terrible borderline defensemen then why have teams played him this much for so many years?

Probably playing over his head, like Schultz in Edmonton, but to a lesser extent. Both in terms of minutes and quality of competition. If we can give him 2nd-3rd pairing assignments and minutes, then that's sure to help.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Enstrom would be better...Folin....pateryn...who knows what these guys would sign for but I bet we could get 2-4 year contracts for less or at least not much more, and all three are better players...

I don’t consider any of them better. I’d much rather have Johnson

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
K. Wrong plan.

And I love that Jack Johnson is suddenly a huge, physical specimen.

I think Demelo is who the Pens should target.

I take it the plan is someone who Sully trusts to play more minutes to reduce Letang’s.

Johnson would be our 2nd biggest player only behind Big O.

DeMelo played 14:12 minutes a game last season.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well, he is almost 230 pounds and he can skate very well even at that weight. What would you call it if not physical specimen?

I can’t wait to look back on this thread like the Hunwick one this year where people tried to defend a player that has just been downright bad his whole career.

Johnson may have been above his head in terms of minutes, but when pushed down the line up he doesn’t have enough sense to play defensively. He had one good year with Savard in Columbus in a defensive role.

Also, when we realize this. We will have to cut even more into Schultz and Letang’s offensive minutes to make him play worthwhile hockey.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think as someone that watched the Kings live in Johnson’s prime, I have no hope.

He’s not that great of a skater which people keep on citing. He’s always been a defensive liability. And his offensive abilities have diminished massively in CBJ.

It’ll be interesting to see where he’s lined up in the roster. I wonder if running something like..

Dumo - Johnson
Oleksiak - Letang
Maatta - Schultz

Is the correct usage..

One thing I’ve noticed that has been completely overlooked is I believe JFJ leads active defensemen in PPG during the playoffs.

No....Olek and Letang on a line would be a disaster...we can only afford one stupid D man per line....

I see it as...
Dumo- Letang
Maatta-Johnson
Olek-Schultz...

Some people think JJ being signed to that term means they want him in the top 4 and therefore, Maatta is expendable in a trade....I see them thinking more that Johnson may be the Schultz replacement, and if he plays well, they might look to move Schultz next summer....

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No....Olek and Letang on a line would be a disaster...we can only afford one stupid D man per line....

I see it as...
Dumo- Letang
Maatta-Johnson
Olek-Schultz...

Some people think JJ being signed to that term means they want him in the top 4 and therefore, Maatta is expendable in a trade....I see them thinking more that Johnson may be the Schultz replacement, and if he plays well, they might look to move Schultz next summer....

Yeah, I guess that is the right pairings.

I think viewing Johnson last year he has definitely lost a step though. And I’d be very worried about him and Maatta being burned left and right.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I can’t wait to look back on this thread like the Hunwick one this year where people tried to defend a player that has just been downright bad his whole career.

Johnson may have been above his head in terms of minutes, but when pushed down the line up he doesn’t have enough sense to play defensively. He had one good year with Savard in Columbus in a defensive role.

Also, when we realize this. We will have to cut even more into Schultz and Letang’s offensive minutes to make him play worthwhile hockey.

For the record, I never liked the Hunwick signing. He was on our team so I didn't want him to suck, but I was not surprised in the least that it ended the way it did. The surprise was that we actually got a decent pick for him and Sheary.

I look at Johnson the way I looked at Hainsey. Yeah the stats are ugly but if he helps us win who gives a bleep? Ditto Rob Scuderi. Ditto Hal Gill.

Now, if Johnson can't defend his position then it will probably not pan out. Because that is what we need him to do here. That said, he can provide more offense than all three of the aforementioned D-men combined. So, we'll get something out of him for sure. The question will be, will we get what this team needs?

JR is gambling that we will.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Probably playing over his head, like Schultz in Edmonton, but to a lesser extent. Both in terms of minutes and quality of competition. If we can give him 2nd-3rd pairing assignments and minutes, then that's sure to help.
But for 10 years? None of his coaches looked at his performances and thought this guy doesn't deserve the minutes we are giving him?

I just find it hard to believe that a player can spend 10 years in the league playing top 4 minutes without at least 1 coach noticing he is out of his depth.

Maybe I am just trying to hold onto a little bit of hope because I do not understand why we would make this signing. He surely cant be as bad as people are saying if teams have been playing him that much for so many years right?

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, I guess that is the right pairings.

I think viewing Johnson last year he has definitely lost a step though. And I’d be very worried about him and Maatta being burned left and right.

Agree...I’d rather see them as the third pairing with less minutes against speedier teams....

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
But for 10 years? None of his coaches looked at his performances and thought this guy doesn't deserve the minutes we are giving him?

I just find it hard to believe that a player can spend 10 years in the league playing top 4 minutes without at least 1 coach noticing he is out of his depth.

Maybe I am just trying to hold onto a little bit of hope because I do not understand why we would make this signing. He surely cant be as bad as people are saying if teams have been playing him that much for so many years right?

I have no idea what was going on in LA, but in Columbus they didn't have a #1D until Jones came over, and that wasn't that long ago. And even then, Jones was young and they seemed to shelter him. I don't think anyone thinks of JJ as a shut-down defender like Dumo, but he sure was played that way. He should be deployed as a two way defender or an OFD at this point, and that's how we'll deploy him.

So I am hopeful he'll be better here. I mean, he just needs to be better than Oleksiak when he was playing with Ruh, which doesn't seem that high a bar.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
For the record, I never liked the Hunwick signing. He was on our team so I didn't want him to suck, but I was not surprised in the least that it ended the way it did. The surprise was that we actually got a decent pick for him and Sheary.

I look at Johnson the way I looked at Hainsey. Yeah the stats are ugly but if he helps us win who gives a bleep? Ditto Rob Scuderi. Ditto Hal Gill.

Now, if Johnson can't defend his position then it will probably not pan out. Because that is what we need him to do here. That said, he can provide more offense than all three of the aforementioned D-men combined. So, we'll get something out of him for sure. The question will be, will we get what this team needs?

JR is gambling that we will.

Hainsey has always been a top 4 statistically.

Scuderi and Gill are fine comparisons for Hainsey. But, you’re talking about Johnson. He is a worse Justin Schultz that played above his head on a team that ran up 20+ wins in a row. That is his one good season.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Hainsey has always been a top 4 statistically.

Scuderi and Gill are fine comparisons for Hainsey. But, you’re talking about Johnson. He is a worse Justin Schultz that played above his head on a team that ran up 20+ wins in a row. That is his one good season.

I suppose we just have to wait and see.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I take it the plan is someone who Sully trusts to play more minutes to reduce Letang’s.

Johnson would be our 2nd biggest player only behind Big O.

DeMelo played 14:12 minutes a game last season.
Not to reopen old wounds, but reducing Sid and Geno's minutes was a big reason some wanted a C before the season last year and were told it's not part of the plan. One or two other people brought it up earlier, but I think it's interesting how it seems like an entirely different strategy this year vs last year, even more so when you consider our defense is probably in a better position right now than our centers were at the same time last year.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Not to reopen old wounds, but reducing Sid and Geno's minutes was a big reason some wanted a C before the season last year and were told it's not part of the plan. One or two other people brought it up earlier, but I think it's interesting how it seems like an entirely different strategy this year vs last year, even more so when you consider our defense is probably in a better position right now than our centers were at the same time last year.

Sully has mentioned that he has minute target for Sid, Geno and Phil where he thinks they play their best (probably has it for everyone too).

My guesstimates based on that interview were 20 mins max for Sid and 19 max for Geno (not sure of Kessel). They basically did that over the whole season but because of our centres it was definitely higher at some stages, mainly earlier in the season and that’s when Sid looked more fatigued.

EDIT: They have talked about reducing Letang’s minutes even last season but I guess Sully didn’t think we had good enough depth to do that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Do you honestly believe we are going to have a bad Jack Johnson playing here for five straight seasons? Come on.

Nope...they’re going to have to buy him out or “pay” Seattle to take him with a high draft pick or pay someone else in a trade.....it’s bad asset management....don’t sign him to the five- year contract to begin with and you won’t have to worry about that potential problem...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Do you honestly believe we are going to have a bad Jack Johnson playing here for five straight seasons? Come on.

I mean, judging by people’s reactions to Letang around here, I think JJ will be a scapegoat by December. Just like I thought Hunwick would be a HS by the playoffs last year.

JJ is basically Letang only worse in every facet of the game. I think he’s alright, but for where he’ll play in our line-up he’s going to get beat so often it’s going to be silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad