Rumor: Penguins prepared to sign Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Should be an upgrade on Hunwick. I'm not sure where he fits though, assuming Dumo, Maata, and Oleksiak play left. If they play Oleksiak on his off side, they have to minimize his ice time, meaning Letang still plays 27 minutes a night. I feel like moves still need to be made

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Should be an upgrade on Hunwick. I'm not sure where he fits though, assuming Dumo, Maata, and Oleksiak play left. If they play Oleksiak on his off side, they have to minimize his ice time, meaning Letang still plays 27 minutes a night. I feel like moves still need to be made

Oleksiak is better on the right side, and it's the side he prefers.

Reactions: Trade

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I could have lived with it at 1-2 years but I just do not understand at all how this guy gets 5 years. Like did they really have to do that to beat other teams offers? Mind-boggling.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Could find a better player for 1 mil anywhere. If there is not more to this it’s a wretched deal.

$1 mill might be a bit low, but definitely for far less than the rumored amounts being bandied about. On the bright side, maybe it will dilute the vitriol here for Pens' D.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could have lived with it at 1-2 years but I just do not understand at all how this guy gets 5 years. Like did they really have to do that to beat other teams offers? Mind-boggling.

It's actually a pretty standard UFA top-4 defenseman contract, just with a much lower AAV. That is, if you think Johnson is a top-4 defenseman.

Also, Kovacevic is saying that the deal is 5 years at $3.25 million per year. Getting a firm number and not just some estimates.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

This is the main issue. We shouldn’t be giving out contracts like this and with our success we shouldn’t have to.

Rutherford’s evaluation of D the past two years has been Carolina bad.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The interesting thing about this deal is how boom/bust it is. I don't see much middle ground here, it's either going to be a great contract or a horrendous contract. The deal is too long for Johnson to not suck during it, regardless of what you think about him now, he's not going to be an effective player at age 37.

The deal will be great if he gives 3+ years of top-4 D performances, regardless of whether he sucks at the end. The deal will suck if he does any less than that. I don't think there's a middle ground where he just plays to his salary level every single year, I see him falling way off near the end of this deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad