Rumor: Penguins prepared to sign Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Okay. I will accept that.

He also signed the deal at 24.

Yes. I would have to search a LOT harder to find a 5 year deal signed after the age of 30. I will give you that.

It is just hard to judge players.

If they are paid less, should we accept shitty play? Probably not. I mean, mistakes are mistakes and losses are losses.

If they are younger, should we accept shitty play? Probably not. I mean, mistakes are mistakes and losses are losses.

If they are older, should we accept shitty play? Probably not. I mean, mistakes are mistakes and losses are losses.

If they are paid more, should we accept shitty play? Probably not. I mean, mistakes are mistakes and losses are losses.

Like, is the bar set as young, stud of a player, signed for 750k on a fifteen year ELC magic contract required to not hate on players?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes. I would have to search a LOT harder to find a 5 year deal signed after the age of 30. I will give you that.

It is just hard to judge players.

If they are paid less, should we accept ****ty play? Probably not. I mean, mistakes are mistakes and losses are losses.

If they are younger, should we accept ****ty play? Probably not. I mean, mistakes are mistakes and losses are losses.

If they are older, should we accept ****ty play? Probably not. I mean, mistakes are mistakes and losses are losses.

If they are paid more, should we accept ****ty play? Probably not. I mean, mistakes are mistakes and losses are losses.

Like, is the bar set as young, stud of a player, signed for 750k on a fifteen year ELC magic contract required to not hate on players?

I think my issue without taking Johnson’s play into consideration is that it makes us hard to have any random players play their way up our line-up.

Obviously, our prospects sucks. But, it makes it really hard for someone to play their way up the line-up. And I don’t think that Johnson’s play is that much better than a 5 or 6 even with injury.

And I think the bar is set at cheap, easily moved deals with lack of term that are for bottom six defensemen or bottom six forwards. A couple of them is alright, but if these deals start becoming the norm they really f*** up our ability to bring in other players. Which is where we’ve been successful with Cole, Schultz and Oleksiak.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
As long as Kunitz doesn't resign I will be happy..but sticking with the topic I think JJ has a good chance of making it here

God! Why would you want him to keep playing!!!??!?!?!?!?!?! Let him go into the sunset!

Oh...re-sign...yes, I hope that too.

The Pens in general need to stay away from our own retreads.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Well, duh. Doesn’t mean he is right.

And given his long track record, I don’t think UFA d-men contracts are his speciality.

This move strikes me a lot like that Tomas Kaberle signing.

It doesn't make you right either. The organization deserves a bit of slack with some of the moves they have made. The Hunwick move didn't turn out well, but that wasn't a terrible move at the time. I think most of us fully expected him to fit in and do well.

There is nothing anyone who supports this move can say that will justify to some. You can use analytics, you can deep dive on stats, you can bring up age and contract situation - fact is, you're dealing with a human being at the end of the day. Analytics and stats take you only so far. I keep reiterating, but I think Johnson's situation in Pittsburgh is highly conducive to him being productive and my gut truly thinks he will be. He will be in a low pressure situation here...the lowest of his entire career. His financial woes are behind him and the longer term allows him to lay down roots somewhere for his young family for the time being. He's coming to a team that really wanted him where the captain has been one of his best friends for 15 years. There is a coaching staff in place that has turned other defensemen around. There's a lot working in favor here, but analytics will never show stuff like this.

I think Johnson finally being out of his financial situation is the biggest part of this. That has to weigh tremendously heavy on a guy's mind and really impact some stuff. This contract was a huge deal for him because at the end of the day, the money he makes on this deal is the money he is going to retire with. Now that it is over, I think you'll see a more focused Jack Johnson.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well, duh. Doesn’t mean he is right.

And given his long track record, I don’t think UFA d-men contracts are his speciality.

This move strikes me a lot like that Tomas Kaberle signing.

Which is odd, because all he does (recently) is win when it comes to trading for dmen. How can a guy be the shrewdest mofo alive when trading and questionable when signing free agents?

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I think my issue without taking Johnson’s play into consideration is that it makes us hard to have any random players play their way up our line-up.

Obviously, our prospects sucks. But, it makes it really hard for someone to play their way up the line-up. And I don’t think that Johnson’s play is that much better than a 5 or 6 even with injury.

And I think the bar is set at cheap, easily moved deals with lack of term that are for bottom six defensemen or bottom six forwards. A couple of them is alright, but if these deals start becoming the norm they really **** up our ability to bring in other players. Which is where we’ve been successful with Cole, Schultz and Oleksiak.

Hold the phone. Even if Johnson is as bad as the analytics say he is - a true #6-7 - he is still better than Cruzman or Trotman. The Penguins have no one beyond Ruhwedel who should be playing NHL minutes, except for maybe Riikola, who is an unknown at this point.

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cap hit doesn't bother me. Term makes me a little nervous however. That being said, I still like this contract a hell of a lot better than the Scuderi one...

I forgot the Penguins gave Scuderi a 4 year deal in 2014 when he was 34. The rumoured Johnson contract is close to the same cap hit as Scuderi with 1 extra year.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Pens fans are a fickle bunch when it comes to player signings/trades.

Not gonna lie, I get worked up in GDT’s more than I should, but not in free agency.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Yeah, that's not a surprise at all. Looks like it's official.

I can't wait to see Penguins fans on the internet react to this signing, it's going to be hell :laugh:

I don't get it. If that plays out, it's fine and fills a need. UFA defenseman are expensive and that's a reasonable deal even if it's a year or two longer than I'm sure most of us would like. I think JJ will be fine here with the type of system the Pens run. I can't see him slotting any worse than a 4/5 guy who helps keep Ruhwedel from playing higher than he should and a rando like Kevin Czuczman in WBS from playing at all. That's worth the price considering how totally awful their defense was last year as a group.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't get it. If that plays out, it's fine and fills a need. UFA defenseman are expensive and that's a reasonable deal even if it's a year or two longer than I'm sure most of us would like. I think JJ will be fine here with the type of system the Pens run. I can't see him slotting any worse than a 4/5 guy who helps keep Ruhwedel from playing higher than he should and a rando like Kevin Czuczman in WBS from playing at all. That's worth the price considering how totally awful their defense was last year as a group.

It's because people are obsessed with advanced stats today at this point and Johnson has bad advanced stats. I think that's mostly it.

Reactions: Corvidae

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
It doesn't make you right either. The organization deserves a bit of slack with some of the moves they have made. The Hunwick move didn't turn out well, but that wasn't a terrible move at the time. I think most of us fully expected him to fit in and do well.

There is nothing anyone who supports this move can say that will justify to some. You can use analytics, you can deep dive on stats, you can bring up age and contract situation - fact is, you're dealing with a human being at the end of the day. Analytics and stats take you only so far. I keep reiterating, but I think Johnson's situation in Pittsburgh is highly conducive to him being productive and my gut truly thinks he will be. He will be in a low pressure situation here...the lowest of his entire career. His financial woes are behind him and the longer term allows him to lay down roots somewhere for his young family for the time being. He's coming to a team that really wanted him where the captain has been one of his best friends for 15 years. There is a coaching staff in place that has turned other defensemen around. There's a lot working in favor here, but analytics will never show stuff like this.

I think Johnson finally being out of his financial situation is the biggest part of this. That has to weigh tremendously heavy on a guy's mind and really impact some stuff. This contract was a huge deal for him because at the end of the day, the money he makes on this deal is the money he is going to retire with. Now that it is over, I think you'll see a more focused Jack Johnson.

I am not a fan of this signing/term but this post is spot on. The negative reactions of a few that won't stop beating this up, if terms are accurate, has brought me to where I think the above is closer to what we will see.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If JJ can turn around his play and lock down that 2nd pairing, I don't care what the term is.

If Orpik can be moved, so can JJ if he busts here.

I would argue that Johnson would be easy to move in the future, as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff. His natural talent will be enough for teams to covet him, so him just having an okay season will let him be tradeable.

Reactions: Gold Diamond
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->