Penguins Off-Season Thread: You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll hurl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Which sports app do you lot use for penguins news?

The score app pisses me off as they use "the hockey writers" as a penguins source for news and they're about as good as a shitty tumblr blog with hot takes that are never based in any reality.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As I mentioned in another thread, it totally boggles the mind.

Riikola by himself is a fine no. 6, but instead we have to pay 4.5 million for our 3rd pairing guy or 3.5 million for the 4th line LW, and that shit adds up incredibly quickly. They whole point of depth contracts in a salary cap system is to find cheap talent in the bottom 6 and 3rd pairing, not to make a 6 million+ 4th line.
Penguins "source" for news "The Hockey Writers" claim the Pens should go after Ryan Suter. Because we need more LHD when in reality we need to move Pettersson and give POJ his spot and release Riikola in a trade to let the lad actually get playing time with a team not coached by a :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Then we have cap to use on a lw.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Guentzel and Zucker playing in Da Beauty league

So he’s able to play pickup hockey and golf all summer with his devastating shoulder surgery? Can we stop using his surgery as an excuse if he vanishes in the playoffs again? According to the doctors of hfboards, his arm and shoulder were close to being amputated and stuff.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
So he’s able to play pickup hockey and golf all summer with his devastating shoulder surgery? Can we stop using his surgery as an excuse if he vanishes in the playoffs again? According to the doctors of hfboards, his arm and shoulder were close to being amputated and stuff.
My guess is golf and da beauty league are less physical than the NHL and his shoulder has had more time to heal. It may even be good for his shoulder. I think people can blame whatever they want, but we will never know for sure why he has sucked so bad in the last few playoffs, he is not alone in the suckage. Perhaps the entire team had shoulder surgeries recently? Who knows! The Doctors on hfboards are experts in many fields. Sometimes I wonder if they were to be more trusted if they were only doctors and not also professional GM’s.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The theory is that he hadn't had the opportunity to build up the strength. It was healed, but weak.

Him doing normal activities like playing in Da Beauty League would seem to support that - he doesn't need rest. He needs physical conditioning to get to where he needs to be.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The theory is that he hadn't had the opportunity to build up the strength. It was healed, but weak.

Him doing normal activities like playing in Da Beauty League would seem to support that - he doesn't need rest. He needs physical conditioning to get to where he needs to be.
upload_2021-7-14_19-54-8.gif

The conspiracy theories are getting more and more specific. I’ll give you points for being creative in concocting this one. I thought last off season he needed rest?

Last edited:
Reactions: LOGiK

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
View attachment 453050

The conspiracy theories are getting more and more specific. I’ll give you points for being creative in concocting this one. I thought last off season he needed rest?
I never said he needed rest last year. He need more time to rehab and strengthen, something made more difficult by the parameters of the world situation. Same reason why Malkin was out of sorts early on.

He has a real off-season in front of him. If he sucks and shies away from contact this season, then he deserves legit criticism.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I never said he needed rest last year. He need more time to rehab and strengthen, something made more difficult by the parameters of the world situation. Same reason why Malkin was out of sorts early on.

He has a real off-season in front of him. If he sucks and shies away from contact this season, then he deserves legit criticism.
So he couldn’t buy work out equipment last summer? Interesting. Times are tough.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So he couldn’t buy work out equipment last summer? Interesting. Times are tough.
No. Think this through.

Guy had major shoulder surgery, the kind that takes months to recover from properly. The type of rehab involved is typically done with a physical therapist. It's not just a set of instructions and you work out at home. The physical therapist is there to work directly on form, to ensure you're specifically addressing the injured area, and to assess your status.

Considering the world was amidst a global pandemic, there is no way Guentzel had a normal rehab. They likely found a way to help him heal and recover from the injury in time to play in the bubble, but it would have been hard to prepare him for the rigors of another season and get his strength up.

It's not as simple as just lifting some weights in his garage.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My guess is golf and da beauty league are less physical than the NHL and his shoulder has had more time to heal. It may even be good for his shoulder. I think people can blame whatever they want, but we will never know for sure why he has sucked so bad in the last few playoffs, he is not alone in the suckage. Perhaps the entire team had shoulder surgeries recently? Who knows! The Doctors on hfboards are experts in many fields. Sometimes I wonder if they were to be more trusted if they were only doctors and not also professional GM’s.

He's sucked in the playoffs the last 3 years with Sid. We've never had a chance to see him with Malkin or even a shake up to see him with Malkin for half a game in the playoffs and Guentzel with Malkin is a different animal altogether, he's not trying to feed it to Sid or just skate around and be open, he's a game changer with Malkin so the fact that when the chips were down and Sullivan needed more and he didn't even use that, it's beyond frustrating for me.

So all we can rely on is conjecture about his shoulder and if it's healed or not.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No. Think this through.

Guy had major shoulder surgery, the kind that takes months to recover from properly. The type of rehab involved is typically done with a physical therapist. It's not just a set of instructions and you work out at home. The physical therapist is there to work directly on form, to ensure you're specifically addressing the injured area, and to assess your status.

Considering the world was amidst a global pandemic, there is no way Guentzel had a normal rehab. They likely found a way to help him heal and recover from the injury in time to play in the bubble, but it would have been hard to prepare him for the rigors of another season and get his strength up.

It's not as simple as just lifting some weights in his garage.

He played 56 games out of 56.

Also, do you really trust this Penguins Team's medical staff? Like at all? I wouldn't let them draw blood, that's how incompetent I really think they are and have been for over a decade.

As for Jake, he produces with Sid in the regular season, that's fine, but in the last 3, he hasn't when the playoffs have started and I think the fact that nothing was changed to that top line to spark anything is a tough thing to really nail down what is wrong with Jake.

In his last 3 playoffs - 6pts in 14 games.
In his previous 2 before that - 42pts in 37 games - In this he spent parts of his first playoffs up and down the line-up to change things up, but the 2nd one he was almost exclusively with Sid and Sheary.

His production with Malkin is still the best he's ever shown us with any line mate.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I can't believe a professional hockey player is wasting his time playing hockey this off-season instead of weeping about how he let Pens x down in the playoffs.
Hey I’m glad he’s playing. But people here gotta stop with his shoulder is still bothering him bs. I don’t want to hear he needs more rest or anything else again.

So his shoulder is only an issue for playoff games? Let me guess the next conspiracy theory: his shoulder aggregates him when the weather is warmer than 75 degrees or if there is pollen in the air.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
He played 56 games out of 56.

Also, do you really trust this Penguins Team's medical staff? Like at all? I wouldn't let them draw blood, that's how incompetent I really think they are and have been for over a decade.

As for Jake, he produces with Sid in the regular season, that's fine, but in the last 3, he hasn't when the playoffs have started and I think the fact that nothing was changed to that top line to spark anything is a tough thing to really nail down what is wrong with Jake.

In his last 3 playoffs - 6pts in 14 games.
In his previous 2 before that - 42pts in 37 games - In this he spent parts of his first playoffs up and down the line-up to change things up, but the 2nd one he was almost exclusively with Sid and Sheary.

His production with Malkin is still the best he's ever shown us with any line mate.
The shoulder theory has nothing to do with production and everything to do with style of play.

He was hesitant on contact. Yes, he took abuse and went to the front of the net. But he wasn't as strong on the boards, wasn't as strong on the puck, and generally seemed to be off even while he kept producing in the regular season.

He was like Crosby was after the core surgery. It was clear the effort was there, but something was still off with him physically.

Like I said, if Guentzel struggles again in the postseason this year, there will be no excuse. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt the last two years because of what he's been through physically.

Reactions: EightyOne

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Shoulder surgeries are a pain in the ass and really do linger well beyond when they should be healed. Like I'm sure Jake's doctor was better than mine when I had my shoulder surgery (broken clavicle, torn rotator cuff), but man, I still feel that shit like 10 years later when I do things like overhead press or bench, let alone shoot a puck or do something more fun like randori.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

The wind up!

View attachment 453050
The delivery!

Playing in a beer league doesn't indicate shit on either side of yall's arguments
The zinger!

you guys make me laff...
In a good way!

:thumbu:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The wind up!

The delivery!

The zinger!

you guys make me laff...
In a good way!

:thumbu:
Haha. You just gotta get on the conspiracy theory train. Jake’s shoulder hurts when the humidity rises. It really bothers him when he’s playing in eastern standard time. It flares up against teams from Quebec and New York.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Shoulder surgeries are a pain in the ass and really do linger well beyond when they should be healed. Like I'm sure Jake's doctor was better than mine when I had my shoulder surgery (broken clavicle, torn rotator cuff), but man, I still feel that shit like 10 years later when I do things like overhead press or bench, let alone shoot a puck or do something more fun like randori.

Yeah that shit doesn't just go away... or heal after the few month or year of rehab... it's a part of you forever.

I'm sure he'll get over it... in time it'll fade into a memory... but .... yeah.... needs time both ways, rest and heal, then rebuild and condition...

How'd I do for my doctor logiks advice bit?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Yeah that shit doesn't just go away... or heal after the few month or year of rehab... it's a part of you forever.

I'm sure he'll get over it... in time it'll fade into a memory... but .... yeah.... needs time both ways, rest and heal, then rebuild and condition...

How'd I do for my doctor logiks advice bit?

C-

you needed to use your anecdotal evidence or made up situation as to what JG should do to stop being a baby about it and start one handing 500lb shoulder presses like a real hockey player

And also give a hard, concrete timeline for when he'll be 100% and for sid to get dropped to 2nd line to stop holding him back

Reactions: HandshakeLine

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Sample size. 6 points in his last 14 playoff games. 42 in the previous 37. I think I’m going to fret about the expansion draft and goaltending and not allot any anxiety to Jake.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
The rumors of Jake’s demise have been greatly exaggerated. He started off the postseason buzzing, and then Sorokin “accidentally” triggered his PTSD.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The thing that really grinds my gears about the whole playoffs is that we had - Zucker, Carter, Kapanen, Guentzel, Tanev, Blueer, and Rust all healthy to play. Malkin played 4 out of 6.

In all this time, not once did it occur to our coach that wow I f***ing have options for once with a deep set of f***ing wingers. A deep set. I mean even McCann was back.

Yet he stuck to GCR and didn't once figure maybe I throw Kapanen and Zucker with Sid and drop down the other 2 and see if they produce. Blah blah blah Jarry wasn't good, he missed about what 7-10 days before the playoffs, I still think starting Lagace that 1st game like the Pens did Zatkoff that one year, would have been wiser, I mean even Bylsma wasn't that dumb to throw in a cold goalie.

But to have that many winger options and not once make a change and then to blindly think he will figure it out, still.

Jake's issue is the way the top line plays. Crosby wants to play a grind'em out along the boards and take abuse style to open a winger up. Jake can't do that, he's shown he's better suited to play Malkin's game. But the gritty game that Zucker and Kapanen showed, even Tanev, not once did it occur to him, let's f***ing try that. Not even Carter.

I am still legit pissed.

Btw, Phil Kessel is the perfect embodiment of Mike Sullivan.

Great during the 2 cups. Slowly has fizzled into shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad