Proposal: Penguins need to blow it up

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He has an 8 team NTC list that is likely the same, so the Wild, Flyers, Bruins, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Kings and Rangers.

Penguins were on his list 4 years ago but they've likely been replaced with a mystery team.

Of those teams right now, I'd eliminate the Wild, Bruins, Canadiens, Blackhawks and Kings.

Rangers and Flyers are very unlikely, but if they strike out on Panarin and other free agents, his contract is 6.8 million for the next 3 years. I could see one of them biting.

Aside from that, maybe Arizona is on his list, with Tocchet.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
cherry-picking a part of the comment can be fun, but Staal wasn't the featured piece,
i gave reasons why (Cap balance, Sully)

and after watching these 3 Pens games,
despite the overstated internet disrespect for Staal,
it's hard not to be convinced he could only have helped ...

gotta defer some of Geno's Cap Hit somehow,
does Pens fan base prefer Brendan Smith?

We already have 30M tied up on mediocre, overpaid D-men, and the solution when moving out a franchise forward is to.....add another 5.7M with term? We would need to jettison alot more money before we could ever think of adding another blueliner with that kind of pay. Jack Johnson is already going to make 3+M for years to come.

I understand cap needs to come back for a 9.5M AAV player, but not like that. Even if Malkin was traded it wouldnt be a in a "one dollar for 2 quarters, 3 dimes and a few nickels" kind of trade. It would have to be for a major piece on the right side of 30 coming back. And in conjunction with a whole lot of other moves. With respect, trading 71 for a mixed bag of futures (as enticing as they may be) and salary doesnt work. Trading him for 1 or 2 "win now" pieces is the only way it

But he wont be traded. Not unless he wants it.

Oh, and also, watching the Pens games in this series, the D isnt the big culprit for why they are where they are. 1. They cant score consistently and their prime offensive players look like garbage 2. the Isles are clowning them by coming right back after every goal and tying it back up (aka breakdowns and lack of focus immediately negating any advantage) 3. They're going behind against a team with a good system, thereby playing the NYI's strength. And the days of four lines that had speed to burn and could break down even organized teams are over.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
The Pens need to get in on the Bobrovsky sweepstakes before San Jose gets to him.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby and Malkin can still play at a high level. Nothing's being blown up. A retool is definitely needed though, and pretty much anyone other than those two+Guentzel+Murray is fair game.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
I consider Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Guentzel and Murray as the core players on that team. The only one of those guys I could see being moved is Kessel, but I still think Pittsburgh should hold onto him unless they get a deal they really like or they think he's gonna start to decline.

Guys like Hornqvist, Rust and Maata are most likely to be moved.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The Pens definitely need a shakeup but it would not be smart to trade Murray. They need to shed some cap and get younger.

My ideal moves:

1. Kessel to AZ for 14th OA + Fischer

2. Pens 2019 1st for JT Miller

3. Maatta to MTL for 2019 2nd

4. Bjugstad to any team that needs a solid 3rd liner (Looks like Buffalo could use him) for a 2019 2nd

5. Jack Johnson + 2019 2nd to a team with a lot of cap space for a 2019 3rd

Cleans up a bunch of cap on the back end, gives us a top 15 pick, and a much better 3C in Miller.

Maata is too slow for the Habs style of play. Pens would have to add a sweetener to get the Habs to take on his cap.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Kessel, Hornqvist, Bjugstad, Maatta, Johnson, and Cullen need to be off the team next year.

We need a top pairing LHD, a 3C, and more grittier bottom 6 forwards because our forecheck was embarrassing this series.

Love the idea of Kessel to AZ for 14th OA+

Hornqvist would also ideally be shipped out west (Blues, Blackhawks, or Stars would be a good fit)

Bjugstad just doesn’t fit what we need at 3C. We need a guy better on draws and the PK.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Only untouchables are Crosby/Malkin/Guentzel I assume. Everyone else needs to be shopped. Murray needs to go. Sullivan should be gone.

They look embarrassing out there. Even in the regular season they looked embarrassing against teams like the Rangers at the end of the year. Really hard to watch.

P.S. I really think Malkin could use a change of scenery, for the right price.

Please explain why Murray needs to go because that is laughable.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Ah yes, the stupid HF thing that HF is trying to convince itself is reality. Good joke.

Maatta's a #4D making #4D money. If you think he sucks or that a GM wouldn't want him, I don't really know what to tell you because you're living in fantasy land.
This is funny. Mattaa was a healthy scratch for 3 out of the 4 games. There are threads on your board talking about how slow and terrible he is. Then you guys come to the trade boards and try to turd polish him.

I guess your right though, some foolish GM will want him. Just like someone overpaid Alzner when he was clearly done. Or JR overpaying Jack Johnson after he was healthy scratched for an entire PO series.

But at best I think you will get another needs a change of scenery player if you can move him.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Murray should be available. This fan base got all over Fleury when he struggled, no reason not to for Murray. One minute he makes a save he has no business making, the next he's letting in a goal from 2 feet out cause he forgot his post is actually another 6" over. He just lets in too many soft goals at all the wrong times. He is a 1.5x starting Stanley Cup winning goalie. The return on him would help rebuild this team faster than anything you get for Maatta/Kessel.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Penguins just need to retool the D. But the Maata and Johnson contracts look pretty bad. That said - 7.25M in bad D contracts sounds worse than it is.

The real problem is their farm system doesn't seem great and they've got only their first rounder.

I think the strategy should be to move Kessell and Malkin, retool the D via trades and free agency, and load up on young forward talent because it transitions quickly.

Last edited:

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Idk maybe he just plays well against the Islanders (he did in FL), but he looked fine to me.
He wasn't the reason the Pens lost, he did make an egregious error on the second goal last night, but 4 million is about 2 million more than he brings as a bottom pair guy. If he made 2 million he wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: dano16

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Whats the ask on Bjugstad ?
Does EDM have the cap space to take his 4 million? If so, I would trade him for your 2nd rounder.

He’s solid he’s just not what we need as a 3C at all, not sure what JR was thinking with that trade. We need a defensive minded 3C that is better on the PK and draws than Bjugstad is.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The Pens definitely need a shakeup but it would not be smart to trade Murray. They need to shed some cap and get younger.

My ideal moves:

1. Kessel to AZ for 14th OA + Fischer

2. Pens 2019 1st for JT Miller

3. Maatta to MTL for 2019 2nd

4. Bjugstad to any team that needs a solid 3rd liner (Looks like Buffalo could use him) for a 2019 2nd

5. Jack Johnson + 2019 2nd to a team with a lot of cap space for a 2019 3rd

Cleans up a bunch of cap on the back end, gives us a top 15 pick, and a much better 3C in Miller.

Lehkonen + Armia for Hornqvist + Simon/Maatta

I'd love to see Hornqvist and Gallagher on the same team.

Bergevin's going to need to rehire those bodyguards if he brings in another slow D-man. Maatta's better than Alzner, but Montreal doesn't need Maatta, even before you remember his contract.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Does EDM have the cap space to take his 4 million? If so, I would trade him for your 2nd rounder.

He’s solid he’s just not what we need as a 3C at all, not sure what JR was thinking with that trade. We need a defensive minded 3C that is better on the PK and draws than Bjugstad is.
With the cap increase and after signing our RFA we should have about 5.5 million . Can we send back cap ? Like Manning 1 year left at 2.25 cap hit . We have him in the minors so he only counts as 1 million against the cap

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
With the cap increase and after signing our RFA we should have about 5.5 million . Can we send back cap ? Like Manning 1 year left at 2.25 cap hit . We have him in the minors so he only counts as 1 million against the cap
Likely no, the Pens already have an embarrassingly high percentage of our cap spent on D that are sub par. Adding Manning is not the best idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad