Proposal: Penguins need to blow it up

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Only untouchables are Crosby/Malkin/Guentzel I assume. Everyone else needs to be shopped. Murray needs to go. Sullivan should be gone.

They look embarrassing out there. Even in the regular season they looked embarrassing against teams like the Rangers at the end of the year. Really hard to watch.

P.S. I really think Malkin could use a change of scenery, for the right price.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am not sure they need to blow up but Kessel may be a luxury they can't afford(and trade him for Defense)

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Blowups don't really happen...teams generally just tinker. Even fully rebuilding clubs generally don't resort to trading a host of pieces. I won't be surprised if Kessel is moved, and the defence seems to badly needs remaking in Pittsburgh, but I imagine the core will otherwise stay intact.

I'm guessing the plan will be to remake the forwards along a 'younger, faster, harder working' mantra, and the D will have a couple pieces reshuffled, maybe a bonafide top four brought in.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Blowups don't really happen...teams generally just tinker. Even fully rebuilding clubs generally don't resort to trading a host of pieces. I won't be surprised if Kessel is moved, and the defence seems to badly needs remaking in Pittsburgh, but I imagine the core will otherwise stay intact.

I'm guessing the plan will be to remake the forwards along a 'younger, faster, harder working' mantra, and the D will have a couple pieces reshuffled, maybe a bonafide top four brought in.

Not when you have a core that begins with Crosby and Malkin that can still play they don't. As a CAPS fan I hope they keep the team, management and coaching staff as is. lol

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Only untouchables are Crosby/Malkin/Guentzel I assume. Everyone else needs to be shopped. Murray needs to go. Sullivan should be gone.

They look embarrassing out there. Even in the regular season they looked embarrassing against teams like the Rangers at the end of the year. Really hard to watch.

P.S. I really think Malkin could use a change of scenery, for the right price.

With the gm they have, Some would say he already has been blowing things up with stupid deals

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The OP isn't a Penguins fan. They're obviously not going to blow up the team. The absolute furthest I can see them going is trading Maatta plus 2 of Kessel, Hornqvist, Rust and Schultz. They're definitely not moving any of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Dumoulin, Guentzel or Murray.

Kessel and Hornqvist would be of interest to the Oilers for sure.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Nothing like an opposition fan starting a "blow up" thread.

Here's a helpful hint:

No actual fan of the team wants that, so your proposal's terrible.

Reactions: td_ice

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel and Hornqvist would be of interest to the Oilers for sure.

I don't know if the Oilers have what the Penguins would want for Kessel. Using Nashville as an example, I'd expect a return like Smith, Tolvanen and a 2nd for Kessel. Or using Minnesota, I'd expect something like Zucker and Eriksson-Ek. The Oilers do have a Tolvanen/Eriksson-Ek caliber prospect in Yamamoto, but I don't think they have a Smith type of RWer.

I do think Hornqvist would be doable if the Penguins are aiming for picks and prospects, though (something like Benson and Edmonton's 2nd for Hornqvist or something like that). The problem with trade possibilities with the Oilers is that the Penguins would probably want replacement top-9 forwards for anyone they'd be trading and the Oilers don't have anyone like that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't know if the Oilers have what the Penguins would want for Kessel. Using Nashville as an example, I'd expect a return like Smith, Tolvanen and a 2nd for Kessel. Or using Minnesota, I'd expect something like Zucker and Eriksson-Ek. The Oilers do have a Tolvanen/Eriksson-Ek caliber prospect in Yamamoto, but I don't think they have a Smith type of RWer.

I do think Hornqvist would be doable if the Penguins are aiming for picks and prospects, though (something like Benson and Edmonton's 2nd for Hornqvist or something like that). The problem with trade possibilities with the Oilers is that the Penguins would probably want replacement top-9 forwards for anyone they'd be trading and the Oilers don't have anyone like that.

Fair points. Basically all that we could give up would be either defensemen or futures we likely aren't good trading partners.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fair points. Basically all that we could give up would be either defensemen or futures we likely aren't good trading partners.

If you want to go big with something around Klefbom, Nurse or Larsson, I certainly wouldn't object to that :laugh:

The Penguins have a good bottom pair in Pettersson-Gudbranson, they have a good 2nd pair LD in Dumoulin and a good top pair RD in Letang. They need a 2nd pair RD to replace Schultz and a 1st pair LD to push Dumoulin to the 2nd pair. I certainly would be intrigued with any of Klefbom, Nurse or Larsson. I'd throw out something around Hornqvist for Larsson as an interesting suggestion. Klefbom and Nurse are probably aiming too high but the Penguins would need one of those 2 to justify moving Kessel. Larsson and Hornqvist are the next guys down on the list.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If you want to go big with something around Klefbom, Nurse or Larsson, I certainly wouldn't object to that :laugh:

The Penguins have a good bottom pair in Pettersson-Gudbranson, they have a good 2nd pair LD in Dumoulin and a good top pair RD in Letang. They need a 2nd pair RD to replace Schultz and a 1st pair LD to push Dumoulin to the 2nd pair. I certainly would be intrigued with any of Klefbom, Nurse or Larsson. I'd throw out something around Hornqvist for Larsson as an interesting suggestion. Klefbom and Nurse are probably aiming too high but the Penguins would need one of those 2 to justify moving Kessel. Larsson and Hornqvist are the next guys down on the list.

Larsson would be a possibility IF we were able to make a trade for Spurgeon ie. 8th OA for Spurgeon. So has Schultz worn out his welcome? I haven't watched many Pens games these last few years but last I remembered he was piling up points for you guys in a big way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad