Proposal: Penguins need to blow it up

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Eh, agree to disagree I guess. I just don't see how a bad 20-30 game run means Hornqvist is "regressing hard". I do think the age gap is a legit reason why the Oilers would say no to the swap, I just don't think Hornqvist is at the point you're saying.
Just a bad year for Hornqvist. Players get them, the guy is important for our PP and his energy levels are OFF THE CHARTS, you win with Hornqvist types. Horny will cum back STRONG next year.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
If you want to go big with something around Klefbom, Nurse or Larsson, I certainly wouldn't object to that :laugh:

The Penguins have a good bottom pair in Pettersson-Gudbranson, they have a good 2nd pair LD in Dumoulin and a good top pair RD in Letang. They need a 2nd pair RD to replace Schultz and a 1st pair LD to push Dumoulin to the 2nd pair. I certainly would be intrigued with any of Klefbom, Nurse or Larsson. I'd throw out something around Hornqvist for Larsson as an interesting suggestion. Klefbom and Nurse are probably aiming too high but the Penguins would need one of those 2 to justify moving Kessel. Larsson and Hornqvist are the next guys down on the list.

Just curious what makes you rate Dumoulin as 2nd pair LD. I don't think he's a #1 D by any means, but he seems to be a solid 1st pair defensive defenseman. By that, I mean he's not out of place on a 1st pair with an established 1st pair dman like Letang; but he's not going to elevate say a 2nd pair guy to 1st.

If he were actually deployed on a 2nd pair somewhere, he'd instantly become the best 2nd pair dman in the league.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Murray needs to go?

You mean the guy who is their best player right now and dragged them to the playoffs? HE needs to go?!!?

Reactions: go comets

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just curious what makes you rate Dumoulin as 2nd pair LD. I don't think he's a #1 D by any means, but he seems to be a solid 1st pair defensive defenseman. By that, I mean he's not out of place on a 1st pair with an established 1st pair dman like Letang; but he's not going to elevate say a 2nd pair guy to 1st.

If he were actually deployed on a 2nd pair somewhere, he'd instantly become the best 2nd pair dman in the league.

I view Dumoulin as being worse than Paul Martin, and Martin was a #2 at his best with the Penguins. I think Dumoulin's a guy that you'd be happy to have on your top pair, but I don't know that I'd call him a "top pair D". He's someone who's ideally anchoring your 2nd pair IMO.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The guys that are untouchable are

Letang
Murray
Malkin
Crosby
Guentzel
Dumoulin(his contract is so great)

The rest of the roster can be had.

Though I've really liked McCann, wouldn't move him bar an overpay.

Bjugstad has impressed but can be had.

Hornqvist and Kessel gots to go.

Whats the best Dman we can get for Kessel?

Spurgeron for Kessel? Fair? Ill add picks

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I'd be interested in Horqvist on the Sabres a mentor for all the younger Swedish players on the roster. Hard to gage his value with his age and length of contract. Futures??

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
The Habs have the assets for Malkin. I don't think they are contenders enough to do that trade; but just for fun what would the Penguins ask?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
In my opinion Pittsburgh should shuffle things by moving Kessel and Hornqvist. You don't blow it up when you have Crosby and Malkin still dominating.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I wouldn't call Larsson a top pair D under any circumstances and me calling him a middle pair D is ignoring he had a down year this year. Why is Hornqvist "regressing pretty hard" when Larsson's bad season means nothing? Hornqvist over his entire career has been around a 25-30 goal, 50-55 point player per 82 games. He was that last year and was on pace for about 45 points this year in mostly a 3rd line role.

I think you're just overrating Larsson and underrating Hornqvist. Hornqvist is still a 2nd line forward and has been consistent with his production. His age and his dry spell to end this season are the only knocks against him, but that doesn't mean he's "regressing pretty hard".

Because when a player is 32 they dont get the benefit of the doubt that they would rebound vs being 24 and having a down season context matters. Larsson is 26 at a position that traditionally takes longer for players to hit their prime vs a forward being in their prime from 23-28.

Hornqvist has a history of injuries with multiple concussions, plays a style that can produce a sharp and sudden decline that Simmonds, Kesler, Lucic, and Mike Richards, etc all had. Heading in to next season teams would rather have Larsson over Hornqvist by age alone and thats not even factoring contracts. No one wants to be stuck holding on to him when he does fall off and when you are in the 32-35 age range where most players statistically fall off you dont get the benefit of the doubt that they will rebound.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
True, but I don't trust us to not **** up by hiring Chia if we **** canned JR.
Wouldn't it be comparable to who he was before he was hired? Both won a cup, then nuked a team too shit? (Chia almost did it twice to two teams.) Funny how that is.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The OP isn't a Penguins fan. They're obviously not going to blow up the team. The absolute furthest I can see them going is trading Maatta plus 2 of Kessel, Hornqvist, Rust and Schultz. They're definitely not moving any of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Dumoulin, Guentzel or Murray.

Pretty much this, trading draft picks and prospects have caught up to them, might not have a deep run in them again for a long while.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Habs have the assets for Malkin. I don't think they are contenders enough to do that trade; but just for fun what would the Penguins ask?

I think a combination of Danault + Mete / Gallagher would do it.

TBH, I don’t see Malkin playing in the league after the next lockout. His wife and child are back in Russia and you could clearly see how it effect his game this year. He’s won everything he’s needed to in the league.

Reactions: KIRK and FF de Mars

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I may be a little more open to sending some out after this year. Not because of the poor playoff performance but more to keep things more fresh.

I'd say: Sid, Geno, Jake, McCann are my only untouchable forwards. Dumo and Pettersson for the dmen. That said, there will have to be impressive offers for guys like Kessel and Letang. Murray is highly unlikely but...hey...crazier things happen.

Kessel - I'd like to a get a younger winger and a pick/prospect. Couple thoughts: Zucker+Ek or Fischer+2nd

Rust - Equal player.
Bjugstad - Equal player.
Simon - Equal player. Suggestion - Perlini
ZAR, Bleuger, Wilson - not sure they are worth sending out...but equal player.
Schultz - solid top 6 winger. Similar player.
Johnson - with pick for similar struggling player.
Maatta - pick/prospect/or young winger.
Hornqvist - I would do a younger, grittier winger with a pick. Suggestion - B. Lemieux + 2nd.

Ottawa, New Jersey, Anaheim, and Montreal all look like teams that could use defense.

I would love to figure out how to get Athansiou out of Detroit.

In my completely unbiased opinion the Penguins need leadership, locker room presence, and physicality.

We have an ever so slightly past his prime Milan Lucic available.

But then they would still need leadership, locker room presence, and physicality.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
He has had the 5th best SV and like top three in terms of starters since December.

He's allowed 3+ goals against in 6 of his last 8 games, and he's getting beat clean. They're beating him glove side, blocker side, from awkward angles. He's slow out there. Brendan Smith and Ryan Strome are sniping on him.

Reactions: Khelandros

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's allowed 3+ goals against in 6 of his last 8 games, and he's getting beat clean. They're beating him glove side, blocker side, from awkward angles. He's slow out there. Brendan Smith and Ryan Strome are sniping on him.

You obviously haven’t watched the Pens. Murray was a huge part of the Pens getting the most points since the deadline besides the Caps and he has been literally the only
player to show up in the Isles series.

Reactions: Son Goku

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad