Rumor: Penguins make Jeff Petry available

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Pens fans who say he's been good have had a thing for the guy for ages. He can do no wrong in their eyes.

During his time in Pittsburgh, he has been acceptable. Not good. Not bad.

I didn't like the acquisition from the beginning because he's not worth $6.3M now at age 35, and he's certainly not worth that until he's 37.

I’m not sure I understand the fans that are critical of Petry other than that they are the type that are critical of everything.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No, my entire argument is that he doesn't bring $6.3M of value to the Penguins now, and he most definitely won't two years from now. Don't deliberately misrepresent what I said.

Your second point just reinforces what I've said. Underwhelming goal scoring impact. Effective defense. Acceptable player.

You have brought up Petry's age multiple times to shit talk him.

You should probably go look at what UFAs of Petry's caliber actually get in UFA if you think he's overpaid. A 23 minutes a night, all situations defenseman who brings both offense and physicality aren't getting $3 million a year. A horrendous version of that in Ristolainen got $5 million a year.

• Haha
Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
No, my entire argument is that he doesn't bring $6.3M of value to the Penguins now, and he most definitely won't two years from now. Don't deliberately misrepresent what I said.

Your second point just reinforces what I've said. Underwhelming goal scoring impact. Effective defense. Acceptable player.
There are many NHL Dmen that played well after their 36 year old season.

Not saying Petry Will be one of them but the eye test looks pretty good. He hasn't slowed down.

I think he's been pretty solid for us.

You should probably go look at what UFAs of Petry's caliber actually get in UFA if you think he's overpaid. A 23 minutes a night, all situations defenseman who brings both offense and physicality aren't getting $3 million a year. A horrendous version of that in Ristolainen got $5 million a year.
I never understood the age argument.

Doesn't matter if you're 35 years old or 25 years old. As long as You are getting the job done.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Loved Jeff up until Covid when he went full pouty baby. Guy gave up on his team more then any player I can remember - he really was never much of a player from the SCF run onwards.

Edit to add; looks like Pens fans are happy with him, I would have expected more output but don't watch him play. His last games in MTL were pathetic.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Loved Jeff up until Covid when he went full pouty baby. Guy gave up on his team more then any player I can remember - he really was never much of a player from the SCF run onwards. Seems to have long Covid but not in a health related way.

Habs were lucky to get out from under that deal.

Lol Petry is better than Matheson is and the Habs threw Poehling on top of Petry to complete the deal.

Reactions: BillPrep

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Yeah, man. That's a whole 'lotta shit talkin'. You bring up a really good point.

Doesn't matter if you're 35 years old or 25 years old. As long as You are getting the job done.
I agree completely.

It also isn't unreasonable or unfair to want to move on from a player preemptively. GMs do it all the time.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Lol Petry is better than Matheson is and the Habs threw Poehling on top of Petry to complete the deal.
Fair enough. You have to have watched Petry play his last 40 games in MTL, it amazing we got anything for him. Glad you guys are happy with his play, when he is on he is solid. although his game tends to decline in the playoffs. And thought he would have better numbers with you guys TBH.

Matheson has been pretty productive when healthy for MTL, with 12 in 22. 23 mins a game. That deal could age very well and very likely he is a better player then Petry in the near future at 2MM less. And Poehling is a plug, was just a throw in.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm aware that you've loved Petry for ages.

Yes I love 23+ minute players that produce at 40 pt rates and have good underlying metrics.

Fair enough. You have to have watched Petry play his last 40 games in MTL, it amazing we got anything for him. Glad you guys are happy with his play, when he is on he is solid. although his game tends to decline in the playoffs. And thought he would have better numbers with you guys TBH.

Matheson has been pretty productive when healthy for MTL, with 12 in 22. 23 mins a game. That deal could age very well and very likely he is a better player then Petry in the near future at 2MM less. And Poehling is a plug, was just a throw in.

Wild how such horrible players are playing good games on a decent team yet were plugs and awful on one of the worst teams I. the league.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Look Pens had to have a reliable RD who could be on the PP and give them decent D with some size as well the next couple of years. Spare me the Marino as he is soft as hell when it counts. Petry is on a roughly 2 year deal from here and is not the issue. Plus how many RD of quality out there that are cheap? Pens have zip in the WB or for that matter in the system that will be ready for prime time in the near future. I for one would not be unhappy to miss the playoffs as it will give the Pens a top 15 pick or higher to get a RD. Plus by the TDL who knows what will happen.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Loved Jeff up until Covid when he went full pouty baby. Guy gave up on his team more then any player I can remember - he really was never much of a player from the SCF run onwards.

Edit to add; looks like Pens fans are happy with him, I would have expected more output but don't watch him play. His last games in MTL were pathetic.
I was mostly annoyed at how he bailed when he'd just signed an extension what, a year earlier ? Asking for a trade, to one of a handful of teams, shortly after signing an extension, is not a good look.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F25d3d3b9-b79e-4270-b6d1-7b602adbef28_500x300.gif

star-wars-harrison-ford.gif

I still like Matheson. Younger fella, could skate like the wind. Our defense now is old and decrepit, skates like molasse.

Reactions: Just Linda

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
“Great” is a stretch.
Agreed, I would say he's been slightly underwhelming relative to what I would deem as reasonable expectations, He's certainly far from a disaster however. That said if we can move on from him we should. He's old, chances are if we do make some sort of move we will get younger. It's almost impossible to consider we wouldn't if we move him. I wouldn't expect much in the way of return unless more pieces were involved.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Pens fans who say he's been good have had a thing for the guy for ages. He can do no wrong in their eyes.

I didn't like the acquisition from the beginning because he's not worth $6.3M now at age 35, and he's certainly not worth that until he's 37.
Maybe if we retained a bit that would enhance our value and return. I could see us doing that at least minimally. Maybe pick up an additional asset for our trouble. One could hope. That's, if this is even a possibility. It wouldn't surprise me if it was, time will tell. But at least it was free up a pretty decent amount of cap space. Unless it just goes right back out for another depth asset.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Matheson has been decent enough in Montreal, much better than Petry was last year. I knew Petry would bounce back but the situation was getting pretty toxic with him in Montreal and he just had to be dealt. I think it's a win-win deal in all honesty. Poehling is all kinds of meh so I don't really mind that throw-in.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How anyone believes the other idiot DK is beyond me, the fact that none of us pens fans do yet so many coming in here to say told you so is interesting.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Is he though? Matheson got hurt in preseason and missed a ton of time. Has only played 23 Games. with 3G 11A for 14 points. prorated to 82 that is a 50 pt pace on a crap team. Petry has 19 pts in 40 games that prorates to a 39 pt pace.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
We know Petry well here in MTL.

He's the kind of guy who has all the physical tools. Athletically he's a thoroughbred.

But you know, his problem is between the ears. Very fragile mentally.

He'll have stretches where he plays like a Norris trophy, that will last about a month or so.

Then he gets on interminable slumps, where he plays like shit.
He's losing confidence and plays like a deer in the headlights.

When on these slumps his panic threshold gets very low, he then start to dump pucks randomly even when lightly pressured.

Petry is the Dr Jekyll and mister Hyde of hockey .

Not my type of defenseman.. you never know what you're gonna get from him.

Matheson has been great for us lately.
He produces points and he's a force all around.
27 minutes played yesterday. 2 pts. +5 on a bottom feeder.

He's been a good veteran for our youngsters.

And he's a proud local boy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: zeeto

RSPens

May 25, 2015
My opinion of Petry is that he started the season strong, when the Pens went through their long losing streak, he sucked (but so did everyone else), but he hasn't looked nearly as good since coming back from his injury. He has been consistent, but would be a much higher value player if he made about $2M/year less. I know he is a completely different player than Dumo, but Petry is supplying as much value to the team today as what Dumo was when he earned his current contract.

As to whether or not Petry should be traded, I agree that he should only be traded if he brings in a player of higher value with a lesser contract or if he is packaged to bring in a replacement. If Hexy could find a way to turn Petry and Dumo into Chychurn with cap savings, do it. But short of that, Petry is too valuable to a team who's #1 D is basically guaranteed to miss about 20-30 games a year.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I don't think Poehling is a plug. Has skills that certainly flash and a nice burst of speed, Along with being our best bottom 6er arguably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad