Friedman: Penguins interested in Max Domi

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
"Value aside..."

I think a top flight scoring winger would really bolster Arizona. Phil seems like a good fit to me. Keller and Phil would be lethal on the PP, an area that Arizona finished 6th last in 2018.

I definitely understand that adding Kessel to any offense helps it. It's my second paragraph that needs to be addressed here.

I just don't see how making a more of a win now move for a team whose core and direction screams "future" at you makes any sense. If they were further along, then yes. However, I fail to see how it makes sense now.

The only scenario I can see is if Chayka got some type of directive or ultimatum from upper management stating that they want to win now, which still makes no sense, given the composition of the team.

Reactions: IPreferPi

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I definitely understand that adding Kessel to any offense helps it. It's my second paragraph that needs to be addressed here.

I just don't see how making a more of a win now move for a team whose core and direction screams "future" at you makes any sense. If they were further along, then yes. However, I fail to see how it makes sense now.

The only scenario I can see is if Chayka got some type of directive or ultimatum from upper management stating that they want to win now, which still makes no sense, given the composition of the team.

That's true, but I think the part that makes this interesting is that I don't think you will find too many players like Kessel available as trade targets, and he fills a need almost perfectly. The age concern is valid, I am not sold on the personality concern someone else mentioned, but I think Phoenix needs to start winning more games and losing Domi in a Kessel deal doesn't hurt as bad as trading a top pick or more recent prospect.

Anyways, don't see it happening, but that's why I think Kessel is a good target for Phoenix.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
That's true, but I think the part that makes this interesting is that I don't think you will find too many players like Kessel available as trade targets, and he fills a need almost perfectly. The age concern is valid, I am not sold on the personality concern someone else mentioned, but I think Phoenix needs to start winning more games and losing Domi in a Kessel deal doesn't hurt as bad as trading a top pick or more recent prospect.

Anyways, don't see it happening, but that's why I think Kessel is a good target for Phoenix.

I do agree, you don't see elite offensive players as trade targets often, I just think that a different team would make a lot more sense for Kessel. I don't know much about the personality concern you referenced and I wouldn't comment on that, because I think it could be overblown for all that we know. If you're referencing the supposed rift between Sullivan and Kessel, none of us are in that locker room and none of us actually know. I'll reserve judgement for when more info becomes available.

I don't necessarily agree about losing Domi. Value and talent wise, yes, Kessel is clearly on another level. However, when you factor in Kessel's age and contract, it's a loss for Arizona, because they're not in a position to make that swap right now. Arizona would much rather have the RFA that needs a new deal but is still under control than the player with a far more expensive contract. Domi isn't going to make close to what Kessel is making even after the retention.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't know why people are suggesting Kessel for Domi, Kessel won't waive his NTC to go to Arizona, so that kills that. If Domi is coming to the Penguins, I imagine it would either be something like Rust and a smaller asset for Domi or Sprong and a more noticeable asset for Domi. I could see Sheary and Sprong for Domi and another piece being a possibility.

Would Yotes fans do Sheary and Sprong for Domi and a D prospect? I think Dineen might be too much, but someone like Mayo may be doable.

Trading Sprong is literally the dumbest idea that the Penguins could do. Not only is he our only blue chip prospect, but he is the heir to Kessel (whenever he leaves/declines) as the right-handed shooter who will be a force on our power play. Sprong will either add a significantly to the secondary scoring we need (and didn't have in these last playoffs), or take over the spot Kessel has now on our first PP if Phil is traded.

Reactions: Giskard

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
4. I think the best 1:1 for both teams would be Rust for Domi. Similar ages, both RFAs, both gonna get similar contracts. Going back to Tocchet, I think Rust was a favorite of Tocchet and I think we arguably say that Rust has proved more than Domi. Domi may have an edge on RS points but Rust has proven himself to be a playoff warrior. His speed and tenacity and knack for scoring big goals has served him well in Pittsburgh. Arizona would not be getting a slug that's for sure.

I disagree. Rust is a cost-controlled player who can play LW or RW and, importantly, can be used on the PK. He will likely be the replacement for Hagelin when the latter hits UFA status and we likely won't retain him. We need to have guys who can PK, especially because most of our top-6 do not. Plus, I think the Pens love Rust and don't think he gets moved -- especially if Kessel may be in play. We're not shedding multiple wingers.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
However, I fail to see how it makes sense now.

kessel would put more people in the stands and give the kids more time to grow pushing the rw down in the line up, plus a guy that's been there and done that. even with out a full blown win now. imo

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
No he’s not. One of the best in the business. He reputation has “declined” on HF thanks to idiotic fans who misinterpret or even blatantly misrepresent a column called “31 thoughts” and other radio musings.

FWIW I believe the quality of his reporting has dropped significantly over the past couple years.

He used to be the best connected and most trusted source in my books when it came to rumors. He only ever reported on verified items in his network.

Ever since Rogers made him a front and center show piece he puts out a lot more “thoughts” that seem to be entirely his own musings or very thinly sourced. Basically he has been forced to generate more rumors and has been filing the gaps with lesser quality items

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
No he’s not. One of the best in the business. He reputation has “declined” on HF thanks to idiotic fans who misinterpret or even blatantly misrepresent a column called “31 thoughts” and other radio musings.

4 years ago he was one of the best, now he just blows smoke.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, maybe Domi +++. Kessel was among the leading scorers this year, the asking price should be WAY higher than Domi, who seems like he it bottoming out.
Fat Phil is a top 10 scoring winger since the lock out.

If Pittsburgh only got Domi back for Kessel...JR would be stooping to Chiarelli's level of idiocy.

Reactions: domaug

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
kessel would put more people in the stands and give the kids more time to grow pushing the rw down in the line up, plus a guy that's been there and done that. even with out a full blown win now. imo

I disagree. There might be a few more ticket sales, but at what price? Assets that a rebuilding team that isn't close to contending shouldn't be moving? It makes no sense.

I understand the talent aspect to it and I acknowledge that Domi is good, but he will be lucky to be what Kessel is. However, it doesn't change the fact that Kessel just isn't a fit for Arizona right now.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Although an elite winger, Kessel is not a really the type of superstar player that drives attendance on his own. Most casual hockey fans would probably take one look at him and think he's some kind of IT office drone at best. What does Phil Kessel Do for a Living?

Sure, Kessel would probably add a few wins to our lineup, but given that the Yotes have not had a 1C since Roenick, we wouldn't get very far in the playoffs if we made it in. And we certainly wouldn't be in a position to add one given we would have just depleted significant assets for an elite winger.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I like domi a lot and think Pitt should be all over him if he’s available. Sheary+Sprong for Domi+2018 3rd??

anigif_original-grid-image-17906-1446608845-4.gif

Reactions: CoyoteSkyDiver

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Although an elite winger, Kessel is not a really the type of superstar player that drives attendance on his own. Most casual hockey fans would probably take one look at him and think he's some kind of IT office drone at best. What does Phil Kessel Do for a Living?

Sure, Kessel would probably add a few wins to our lineup, but given that the Yotes have not had a 1C since Roenick, we wouldn't get very far in the playoffs if we made it in. And we certainly wouldn't be in a position to add one given we would have just depleted significant assets for an elite winger.

Perhaps PITT could throw in some cosmetic surgery if that's what it takes for Arizona fans to show up. Or at least a Photoshop expert.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

ok i apparently forgot how to post pics on here.

but... answer is hell no

An entirely appropriate and expected reaction. But given that Domi is a under-25 top six forward with upside and that is also exactly what we need more of, we're gonna need one of those heading back our way if he moves. And I have no interest in Nylander.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
An entirely appropriate and expected reaction. But given that Domi is a under-25 top six forward with upside and that is also exactly what we need more of, we're gonna need one of those heading back our way if he moves. And I have no interest in Nylander.

Of course not.. Nylander doesnt hold enough value for Domi.

I'd listen on Reinhart if Yotes added

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Reinhart for Domi straight up is actually a pretty fair trade, I don't know why one side would have to add on that. Both are former high picks that have somewhat struggled recently (or have been somewhat of a disappointment with their development). Each of them are probably about 45-50 point players per 82 games right now, and both are RFAs this summer. Domi is only like 8 months older than Reinhart, too. I don't see why either has more value than the other one.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Of course not.. Nylander doesnt hold enough value for Domi.

I'd listen on Reinhart if Yotes added

I don't see why we'd have to add to Domi for Reinhart. Both have similar PPG over their first three seasons with similar deployment at even strength, although Reinhart has seen more PP time. Reinhart has better possession metrics at 5v5 but Domi has better P/60 (and G/60 and A1/60).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad