Friedman: Penguins interested in Max Domi

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A bit of both in my opinion, he throws 100 darts at the wall and gets one to stick and everyone thinks he has credibility. And at the same time yes people interpret his “thoughts” as facts to often. But the more I read of his content the more annoyed I get because his speculation is no different then you or I writing a blog. Where as an “insider” he should be able to provide more insight to his thoughts then what he thought about while talking to his buddy
No, he has a bunch of thoughts, which you could interpret as the darts at the wall, but he is open about those being just random thoughts and having no sources behind those. As an insider, he is almost always among the first to break stories because he has connections. He hears rumours, and will say if there are rumours or not. The problem is with the inability of the plebian readers to take any time at all to understand the difference between "I think" and "Sources tell me".

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
4. I think the best 1:1 for both teams would be Rust for Domi. Similar ages, both RFAs, both gonna get similar contracts. Going back to Tocchet, I think Rust was a favorite of Tocchet and I think we arguably say that Rust has proved more than Domi. Domi may have an edge on RS points but Rust has proven himself to be a playoff warrior. His speed and tenacity and knack for scoring big goals has served him well in Pittsburgh. Arizona would not be getting a slug that's for sure.

I agree that Rust for Domi is probably the most logical thing here, but I think the Penguins would have to add a little. Nothing much, their production really isn't that far apart at this point and Rust is known as a defensive winger first and foremost. It's mostly age and perceived upside that makes me think that the Penguins would have to add. Rust right now is probably a 2-way 2nd line winger, but I'm not thinking his upside is much higher than that. The best he'll be is a defensive winger capable of chipping in 50 points a season, I think his upside is being a Silfverberg clone from the Ducks. Domi? His upside is a legit top line player that can carry a line. He may not hit it, but that's his upside.

I don't think the add would be significant because like I said, Rust isn't that far off from Silfverberg (in terms of talent, play style, age or value) at this point and I don't think a Silfverberg for Domi is very far off.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I agree that Rust for Domi is probably the most logical thing here, but I think the Penguins would have to add a little. Nothing much, their production really isn't that far apart at this point and Rust is known as a defensive winger first and foremost. It's mostly age and perceived upside that makes me think that the Penguins would have to add. Rust right now is probably a 2nd line winger close to on par with Silfverberg, but I don't think his upside is any higher than that. The best he'll be is a defensive winger capable of chipping in 50 points a season, similar to what Silfverberg did last season. Domi? His upside is a legit top line player that can carry a line. He may not hit it, but that's his upside.

I don't think the add would be significant because like I said, Rust is pretty similar to Silfverberg at this point and I don't think a Silfverberg for Domi is very far off.

I really like Rust, but Rust+ for Domi is a breakeven lateral move when Domi's value is at a low - something I'm not really interested in.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Value aside, why does Arizona do this? I don't see Kessel replicating last year's totals in Arizona and he's already on the other side of 30. Given Arizona's organizational direction at this point, this move make absolutely no sense for them.

Maybe Chayka might be under pressure from management to make some other moves that would indicate to OEL that they're for real about competing in the immediate future? I'm not sure of how a move like that would make sense otherwise.

I just don't get how Kessel would fit in with their plan.

As for those who keep saying Friedman, Dreger and so on are "hacks", with my experience in the business so far, I can tell you that things get said so many times that don't materialize for a plethora of reasons that none of us ever really know about. To call them "hacks" is disingenuous and hypocritical, considering that there are tons of rumors that even the best (McKenzie, LeBrun, Lavoie) report that never materialize that no one talks about because they like to play favorites on here.

Are they hacks also?

Reactions: Freedom

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I like domi a lot and think Pitt should be all over him if he’s available. Sheary+Sprong for Domi+2018 3rd??

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Friedman sometimes has solid sources, sometimes he uses his interactions with players and execs to speculate and throw stuff at the wall. He’s not a hack, he’s one of the best connected hockey media people that shares what he hears. Calling him a hack is stupid.

Reactions: SniperHF

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Of course we'd have to add some to Domi to get Kessel (although its very arguable that we should be trading assets for a winger, who although elite is also on the wrong side of 30 and is not someone who alone will make the Yotes legitimate playoff contenders), but Domi finished the season on a very strong note with 23 points in the final 28 games and 15 in the last 14. He found chemistry with Strome and those two produced at a PPG in the final 10 games despite having Zac Rinaldo as their RW. He's still a touch below his very strong rookie season but he's also not bottoming out, and if a true triggerman can line up at RW next to him and Strome I don't see why he couldn't have a 55-60 point campaign next year.
Wow that production with Rinaldo as the 3rd piece is even more impressive. Obviously that's a small sample size but still makes those numbers even more impressive. I would assume a top 6 RW is something your looking for then to move Rinaldo off that line? What play style are you looking for to play with the two? Filling via free agency or by trade?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Wow that production with Rinaldo as the 3rd piece is even more impressive. Obviously that's a small sample size but still makes those numbers even more impressive. I would assume a top 6 RW is something your looking for then to move Rinaldo off that line? What play style are you looking for to play with the two? Filling via free agency or by trade?

Top 6 RW (who is preferably a RH shot) is indeed a roster need. Personally I'm not too picky beyond "willing to shoot a lot of pucks on net," although the more skilled the better.

There are options in UFA like Perron and Neal but those two will probably stay in Vegas and are likely going to get paid big. So we'll likely have to go through trade or through the draft.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Top 6 RW (who is preferably a RH shot) is indeed a roster need. Personally I'm not too picky beyond "willing to shoot a lot of pucks on net," although the more skilled the better.

There are options in UFA like Perron and Neal but those two will probably stay in Vegas and are likely going to get paid big. So we'll likely have to go through trade or through the draft.
Any interest in Gagner then? Not really shoot first mentality but fills the right shot criteria.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Any interest in Gagner then? Not really shoot first mentality but fills the right shot criteria.

There are a few Yotes HFers who would be fine with Gagner returning, especially since he provides positional flexibility. At this point he's not on my list of preferred targets, but if we strike out on filling the position and if the Canucks aren't asking too much in return, I wouldn't be opposed to him either.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
There are a few Yotes HFers who would be fine with Gagner returning, especially since he provides positional flexibility. At this point he's not on my list of preferred targets, but if we strike out on filling the position and if the Canucks aren't asking too much in return, I wouldn't be opposed to him either.
Something could easily be worked out for like a 3rd or a RHD prospect preferably if you have one? This is more so like you said if you were to strike out and we are able to sign a guy who will be playing 2C next year. As of now Gagner is basically slotted into that spot.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Something could easily be worked out for like a 3rd or a RHD prospect preferably if you have one? This is more so like you said if you were to strike out and we are able to sign a guy who will be playing 2C next year. As of now Gagner is basically slotted into that spot.

Gagner for one of our three 3rds this year is fine.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Gagner for one of our three 3rds this year is fine.
Just curious as well if you would have any interest in Hutton/MDZ as well?
Even without them being added, this could be perfect from a Canucks POV in all honesty. We add an additional pick which would have the Vancouver fans very elated. Then we lock in 8M/ 1 year to Thornton (what he got from SJ this year). This would allow us to move Thornton @50% retention for another pick in 2019 when we host the draft. Going into next year:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Thornton-Pettersson
Leipsic/Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen
Gaunce-Sutter-Granlund

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
We already have plenty of LHD on our roster, so Hutton/MDZ wouldn't really have a place on our blueline.
Figured as much, just wanted to see if the deal could be made a little bigger. Regardless, I really like a 3rd rounder for Gagner- especially when all 3 of those picks are from lottery teams.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Value aside, why does Arizona do this? I don't see Kessel replicating last year's totals in Arizona and he's already on the other side of 30. Given Arizona's organizational direction at this point, this move make absolutely no sense for them.

Maybe Chayka might be under pressure from management to make some other moves that would indicate to OEL that they're for real about competing in the immediate future? I'm not sure of how a move like that would make sense otherwise.

I just don't get how Kessel would fit in with their plan.

As for those who keep saying Friedman, Dreger and so on are "hacks", with my experience in the business so far, I can tell you that things get said so many times that don't materialize for a plethora of reasons that none of us ever really know about. To call them "hacks" is disingenuous and hypocritical, considering that there are tons of rumors that even the best (McKenzie, LeBrun, Lavoie) report that never materialize that no one talks about because they like to play favorites on here.

Are they hacks also?

"Value aside..."

I think a top flight scoring winger would really bolster Arizona. Phil seems like a good fit to me. Keller and Phil would be lethal on the PP, an area that Arizona finished 6th last in 2018.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
"Value aside..."

I think a top flight scoring winger would really bolster Arizona. Phil seems like a good fit to me. Keller and Phil would be lethal on the PP, an area that Arizona finished 6th last in 2018.

Kessel is an elite scoring winger, no one is doubting that. But he's also on the wrong side of 30. We're probably a playoff bubble team with him for a couple of years but we'd still be a couple of top six forwards (and a 1C) short of being a serious playoff team. And the last thing a young team like the Yotes need is Kessel being a mercurial presence in the locker room because he's not playing alongside whomever he wants.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't know why people are suggesting Kessel for Domi, Kessel won't waive his NTC to go to Arizona, so that kills that. If Domi is coming to the Penguins, I imagine it would either be something like Rust and a smaller asset for Domi or Sprong and a more noticeable asset for Domi. I could see Sheary and Sprong for Domi and another piece being a possibility.

Would Yotes fans do Sheary and Sprong for Domi and a D prospect? I think Dineen might be too much, but someone like Mayo may be doable.
I like how you know what Phil Kessel will or will not do.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I like how you know what Phil Kessel will or will not do.

It's highly unlikely Phil would have the Coyotes as one of the 8 teams he can be traded to. Not a stretch to assume that much ...

That is, if he were being dealt at all.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's highly unlikely Phil would have the Coyotes as one of the 8 teams he can be traded to. Not a stretch to assume that much ...

That is, if he were being dealt at all.
Again. As probable as it is, it's all purely speculation on your parts. Presenting it as fact is just wrong.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

How do you feel about Sprong then if that's what you need? I know you said Rust for Domi wouldn't be a smart move by the Yotes, but Sprong does fill a need if you do need a top-6 goal scoring RWer.

The issue with the Penguins is that they have a big imbalance of RWers and LWers. They currently have 2 legit proven top-6 RWers (Kessel and Hornqvist), a 2nd line or high end tweener RW (Rust) and a NHL ready RW prospect who should be in the top-6 (Sprong). On LW, they have Guentzel and a bunch of bottom-6ers. Something has to give on RW and something needs to be given on LW.

If Rust wasn't that appealing, I'd suggest Domi for Sheary and Sprong as a base. The Yotes get an immediate replacement in the top-9 for Domi in Sheary, and a NHL ready goal scoring RW prospect with high upside. The Yotes won't lose a high upside player like they would if it was just Domi for Rust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad