Friedman: Penguins interested in Max Domi

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I feel like I've heard talks of Domi to the Penguins before, so this may not be anything that new. I have no idea what the Penguins would offer nor what the Yotes would be willing to accept, but it's fun to speculate.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think either fanbase here is that interested in a trade involving Domi lol.

Idk, I'd love Domi to be on the Penguins. I just don't know what the Penguins could offer that would entice the Coyotes. The most logical names I can think of are Rust and Sprong, but I'm not sure those are enticing enough to convince Arizona to move Domi. Arizona wouldn't want Maatta for Domi, who's the most logical trade candidate if we're talking about a young NHL proven winger.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Domi for Kessel. Kessel can be reunited with Tocchet. :sarcasm:

Yeah, maybe Domi +++. Kessel was among the leading scorers this year, the asking price should be WAY higher than Domi, who seems like he it bottoming out.

Reactions: THall4

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Kessel was among the leading scorers this year, the asking price should be WAY higher than Domi, who seems like he it bottoming out.

Of course we'd have to add some to Domi to get Kessel (although its very arguable that we should be trading assets for a winger, who although elite is also on the wrong side of 30 and is not someone who alone will make the Yotes legitimate playoff contenders), but Domi finished the season on a very strong note with 23 points in the final 28 games and 15 in the last 14. He found chemistry with Strome and those two produced at a PPG in the final 10 games despite having Zac Rinaldo as their RW. He's still a touch below his very strong rookie season but he's also not bottoming out, and if a true triggerman can line up at RW next to him and Strome I don't see why he couldn't have a 55-60 point campaign next year.

Reactions: Jakey53 and rt

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Yeah, maybe Domi +++. Kessel was among the leading scorers this year, the asking price should be WAY higher than Domi, who seems like he it bottoming out.

You don’t watch a lot of coyotes games, do you? I’m sure you’re a stat line guy like most. Domi isn’t even close to bottoming out, in fact it’s the exact opposite. He was lights out the second half of the year. Moreso when Duclair was dealt.

But, yes it would take more than Domi to acquire Kessel, but not as much as you’d think.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
No he’s not. One of the best in the business. He reputation has “declined” on HF thanks to idiotic fans who misinterpret or even blatantly misrepresent a column called “31 thoughts” and other radio musings.
A bit of both in my opinion, he throws 100 darts at the wall and gets one to stick and everyone thinks he has credibility. And at the same time yes people interpret his “thoughts” as facts to often. But the more I read of his content the more annoyed I get because his speculation is no different then you or I writing a blog. Where as an “insider” he should be able to provide more insight to his thoughts then what he thought about while talking to his buddy

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Friedman is a hack.

If you can’t tell the difference between speculation and actual insider info idk what to tell you.

His 31 thoughts page isn’t all insider information. Sometimes he likes to put his opinion on players teams should look at out there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know why people are suggesting Kessel for Domi, Kessel won't waive his NTC to go to Arizona, so that kills that. If Domi is coming to the Penguins, I imagine it would either be something like Rust and a smaller asset for Domi or Sprong and a more noticeable asset for Domi. I could see Sheary and Sprong for Domi and another piece being a possibility.

Would Yotes fans do Sheary and Sprong for Domi and a D prospect? I think Dineen might be too much, but someone like Mayo may be doable.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You don’t watch a lot of coyotes games, do you? I’m sure you’re a stat line guy like most. Domi isn’t even close to bottoming out, in fact it’s the exact opposite. He was lights out the second half of the year. Moreso when Duclair was dealt.

But, yes it would take more than Domi to acquire Kessel, but not as much as you’d think.
I would take Domi and run if I were Pittsburgh.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
No he’s not. One of the best in the business. He reputation has “declined” on HF thanks to idiotic fans who misinterpret or even blatantly misrepresent a column called “31 thoughts” and other radio musings.

He's not a hack, but he shouldn't have a "blue" tag on this forum. All he has to offer is musings. Anyone who follows the league has musings.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Let's add a touch of context here regarding Kessel and Domi and perceived values:

Kessel last year: 82gp 34g 58a 92pts
Domi last year: 82gp 9g 36a 45pts

Those thinking that Domi hold as much or more value than Kessel are absolutely outside their minds. You are flat out wrong. Now, sure there may be the argument that Kessel plays on a better team and that's valid...except Kessel score TWICE as many points. That's not just the team one man plays for. Period.

That said, here are some other considerations:

1. Kessel is an elite wing. "Making" $8mil but his cap hit is only $6.8mil and his salary is basically $ 6/6/5.1/5.1 for the remainder of his contract. Paying Kessel $6mil for 2 years and then $5mil for two years, getting what you get, could be VERY attractive for Arizona especially when the cap hit is $6.8mil.

2. The buffer between Sullivan and Kessel was always Tocchet. Kessel and Tocchet have a very good relationship with each other and given Kessel's performance in 16 and 17, I think it's fair to say that Tocchet was able to get A LOT out of Kessel. That said, Kessel does indeed have a NTC but I could see him including or waiving for Arizona due to Tocchet.

3. Domi has regressed his three years in the league. Not sure how much that injury will affect him but numbers don't lie.

4. I think the best 1:1 for both teams would be Rust for Domi. Similar ages, both RFAs, both gonna get similar contracts. Going back to Tocchet, I think Rust was a favorite of Tocchet and I think we arguably say that Rust has proved more than Domi. Domi may have an edge on RS points but Rust has proven himself to be a playoff warrior. His speed and tenacity and knack for scoring big goals has served him well in Pittsburgh. Arizona would not be getting a slug that's for sure.

5. I don't see big names moving between the two unless someone specifically asks (player wise). Rust, Sheary, Sprong for Domi as a base with each side adding to even things out is something I could see.

Reactions: nickdawg95

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Let's add a touch of context here regarding Kessel and Domi and perceived values:

Kessel last year: 82gp 34g 58a 92pts
Domi last year: 82gp 9g 36a 45pts

Those thinking that Domi hold as much or more value than Kessel are absolutely outside their minds. You are flat out wrong. Now, sure there may be the argument that Kessel plays on a better team and that's valid...except Kessel score TWICE as many points. That's not just the team one man plays for. Period.

That said, here are some other considerations:

1. Kessel is an elite wing. "Making" $8mil but his cap hit is only $6.8mil and his salary is basically $ 6/6/5.1/5.1 for the remainder of his contract. Paying Kessel $6mil for 2 years and then $5mil for two years, getting what you get, could be VERY attractive for Arizona especially when the cap hit is $6.8mil.

2. The buffer between Sullivan and Kessel was always Tocchet. Kessel and Tocchet have a very good relationship with each other and given Kessel's performance in 16 and 17, I think it's fair to say that Tocchet was able to get A LOT out of Kessel. That said, Kessel does indeed have a NTC but I could see him including or waiving for Arizona due to Tocchet.

3. Domi has regressed his three years in the league. Not sure how much that injury will affect him but numbers don't lie.

4. I think the best 1:1 for both teams would be Rust for Domi. Similar ages, both RFAs, both gonna get similar contracts. Going back to Tocchet, I think Rust was a favorite of Tocchet and I think we arguably say that Rust has proved more than Domi. Domi may have an edge on RS points but Rust has proven himself to be a playoff warrior. His speed and tenacity and knack for scoring big goals has served him well in Pittsburgh. Arizona would not be getting a slug that's for sure.

5. I don't see big names moving between the two unless someone specifically asks (player wise). Rust, Sheary, Sprong for Domi as a base with each side adding to even things out is something I could see.

But not one person thought that. Not even 1. The nearest reach to that was, Kessel holds more value, but the difference isn't as much as you think - which could be anything.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad