Speculation: Penguins interested in Jimmy Howard

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Kinda makes sense. Idk what it would cost. And Pittsburgh has spent so much of their capital on making moves like this. I know they have a window that could close in the next 3-5 years depending on Crosby & Malkin, but they should also try to be responsible towards the long term health of the franchise.

This is a team that has time after time given up draft picks and prospects for the now. And it’s understandavle, but at some point it needs to slowly start to work the other way around. They need to try to hit on some 1st rounders and have those guys form a cheap young fast support system around Crosby and Malkin instead of trading for Jimmy Howard and guys like Iginla.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Pens need a solid D-man way more than they need a backup rental goalie.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Pens need a solid D-man way more than they need a backup rental goalie.

Defenseman on the right side, top 9 LW, and production from the 4th line are way more a need than a goaltender. I’m good if we roll with Tom & Jarre and Desmith.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This isn't really surprising, Howard is held in higher esteem by NHL execs than he is by message board posters, he has been for his entire career seemingly. I don't think he winds up going for a 1st round pick, but Holland has no current reason to open talks with less.

You have to consider the message. I think Holland has to take the first and he knows that, but trading Jimmy in early December for anything but a solid deal is going to go over terribly in his own dressing room. You cannot spend as much time talking about culture and make a move that out of touch with how your dressing room would receive it. I know people hope it is for a nothing return but that is closer than the deadline. If he is dealt before Christmas it will be for a bad deal for the other teams fans.

My real problem if I am Pittsburgh or St. Louis is that Howard has an abysmal track record injury wise at this point and after each time he goes down during the season he can never seem to regain his form. He has done this look like a top 10 goalie in the league start a few times. I mean ideally somebody does offer too much as a Detroit fan. To me Pittsburgh's window matches up well with him, I think his troubles as a puck handler could cause some issues for their back-end but they are a team that shouldn't be wasting what time they have left with Crosby and Malkin. That justifies a little over-payment in a scenario like this. I just don't think anybody is willing to pay Holland's asking price yet and I don't think that drops until after the New Years. Given that when I look at the schedule I think December is going to be a debacle for the Wings I am not sure that is wise, but I am really not sure what options Holland truly has.

By the way I would be fascinated to see Nyquist on the Pens, that is a name off Detroit that I think would improve their top 6 a lot and make a big impact playing with their two centers. Again salary would be tough, but that is one that intrigues me if the Pens get it back on the rails and get some of this sorted, they make a ton of sense as a rental for him in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tatar Shots

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This isn't really surprising, Howard is held in higher esteem by NHL execs than he is by message board posters, he has been for his entire career seemingly. I don't think he winds up going for a 1st round pick, but Holland has no current reason to open talks with less.

You have to consider the message. I think Holland has to take the first and he knows that, but trading Jimmy in early December for anything but a solid deal is going to go over terribly in his own dressing room. You cannot spend as much time talking about culture and make a move that out of touch with how your dressing room would receive it. I know people hope it is for a nothing return but that is closer than the deadline. If he is dealt before Christmas it will be for a bad deal for the other teams fans.

My real problem if I am Pittsburgh or St. Louis is that Howard has an abysmal track record injury wise at this point and after each time he goes down during the season he can never seem to regain his form. He has done this look like a top 10 goalie in the league start a few times. I mean ideally somebody does offer too much as a Detroit fan. To me Pittsburgh's window matches up well with him, I think his troubles as a puck handler could cause some issues for their back-end but they are a team that shouldn't be wasting what time they have left with Crosby and Malkin. That justifies a little over-payment in a scenario like this. I just don't think anybody is willing to pay Holland's asking price yet and I don't think that drops until after the New Years. Given that when I look at the schedule I think December is going to be a debacle for the Wings I am not sure that is wise, but I am really not sure what options Holland truly has.

By the way I would be fascinated to see Nyquist on the Pens, that is a name off Detroit that I think would improve their top 6 a lot and make a big impact playing with their two centers. Again salary would be tough, but that is one that intrigues me if the Pens get it back on the rails and get some of this sorted, they make a ton of sense as a rental for him in my opinion.
Howard & Nyquist (both 50% retained) to Pens for 1st, 2nd & 3rd & Sprong/D-prospect.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Please no, gramps Rutherford.

We already have 3 awful goalies, we don’t need 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad