Speculation: Penguins interested in Jimmy Howard

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre-five-goaltenders-who-could-be-on-the-move-1.1217436

The Blues are reportedly sniffing around Detroit’s Jimmy Howard, but they may not be alone. The Pittsburgh Penguins are very much in ‘win now’ mode, are believed to have interest, and, unlike the Blues, the Pens have a first-round pick to dangle.

I don't know about this one, chief. But honestly, if the Wings retain a lot of money and it works with the cap....it doesn't make no sense.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Check back at the deadlines
Do you think the market will increase for Howard at the deadline? If anything even with retention, I think that might backfire. I don't think that Detroit can snag a wildcard spot in the Atlantic this year, why not maximize the return on Howard?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Don't disagree with you. But how much more do you think you get out of, lets say, 30% retained Howard?

You'd get more based on more teams being able to acquire Howard, it would drive up the price because you'd have maybe 3 or 4 teams bidding on him, instead of 1. If you just trade Howard at full salary, you may have Carolina seriously interested, but not many others because of his cap hit. But at 50%? Suddenly the Penguins, Flames and Blues could afford that, so more teams enter the bidding.

I don't know how retaining 30% would impact his value, but I do know that retaining 30% would cause more teams to be interested in him, which drives up the price based on simple supply and demand. I think that may raise the price from a 2nd and a meh prospect to a 1st.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Do you think the market will increase for Howard at the deadline? If anything even with retention, I think that might backfire. I don't think that Detroit can snag a wildcard spot in the Atlantic this year, why not maximize the return on Howard?
I’m saying Detroit has no intention on trading him and will extend him for a couple years

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't like the fact the Pens are rumored to be giving up that 1st round pick. Unless Murray is either out for the year or the Pens organization doesn't think Murray can ever rebound, it doesn't make sense to pay big for Howard while DeSmith is handling the starter duties fine in Murray's absence/struggles.

At the very least, JR better make sure it's lottery protected.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I don't like the fact the Pens are rumored to be giving up that 1st round pick. Unless Murray is either out for the year or the Pens organization doesn't think Murray can ever rebound, it doesn't make sense to pay big for Howard while DeSmith is handling the starter duties fine in Murray's absence/struggles.

At the very least, JR better make sure it's lottery protected.

A solid top 4 dman would be a much better use of a 1st rounder.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A solid top 4 dman would be a much better use of a 1st rounder.

Exactly.

I think that's a bigger need -- both short and long term -- than a starting goalie. We have in-house solutions to the goalie thing (unless they truly believe Murray is a write-off), but don't have in-house solutions for another legitimate top four D-man.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I’m saying Detroit has no intention on trading him and will extend him for a couple years
Holland already tried to move him once before. They may re-sign him this off season, but they'll certainly trade him this year, especially if they can get a 1st round pick.

Reactions: Adityase

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Id like seeing Howard moved to a contender.. Hes a good goalie and getting older and id like to see what he can do on a contending team

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
I doubt he gets traded but would love to see him get a chance at a cup. He is a decent goal tender and doesn't deserve the hate he gets.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Holland already tried to move him once before. They may re-sign him this off season, but they'll certainly trade him this year, especially if they can get a 1st round pick.

I disagree with the bolded. Yes, I think Howard gets traded if Holland gets a surprisingly big offer like a 1st or Kyrou, etc.

A late 2nd might pry him out of Holland's hands. I'd probably bet against it though.

I'd be very surprised to see Howard moving if a 3rd or less is offered.

Mlive released a report admitting the wings want to resign him. Further, shipping out Howard for less than what would be perceived as an over-payment just seems to go against Holland's MO. He seemingly prefers to support his young players with veterans rather than going the scorched earth method of rebuilding. His history as a GM and his approach through the rebuild thus far would lead me to believe he would rather keep his goalie than settle for a late 2nd or 3rd rounder.

For clarity sake, I wouldn't expect anyone to offer more than a late 2nd. I just think that is what it would take for Holland to actually engage with a trade.

Last edited:

The Tank

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
I have a hard time seeing the Red Wings get a 1st rounder out of Howard, but if someone offers one Holland needs to pounce straight away.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3