Speculation: Penguins interested in Jimmy Howard

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Detroit can get a 1st round pick from the 20th (Pit) or 30th (Stl) place team in the league right now they need to jump on it.

Nobody is traded a 1st that isn't lottery protected for Howard.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
No how no way should the Pens give up assets to get Howard. Hard Pass!
Absolutely. If the Pens brass are that worried about MM’s form or his health, I can see them going with a DeSmith/Jarry tandem. No way they depend assets and cap space on Howard when there are plenty of other holes to fill.

If they really don’t believe in MM, revisit the situation in the off-season and find suitors for him then.

Reactions: Ryder71

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre-five-goaltenders-who-could-be-on-the-move-1.1217436

I don't know about this one, chief. But honestly, if the Wings retain a lot of money and it works with the cap....it doesn't make no sense.

I completely agree with you OP. Not that dumpster diving is better but for no cost they can try the recently waived Pickard. Philly is where goaltending goes to die. It may as well be fact. I give the guy slack for that. The worst thing that can possibly happen to Pitt is that they don't claim him or it doesn't work out.

I doubt people are tripping over their shoelaces to get Howard.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Howard for the Pens first would be an absolutely disastrous trade. However you slice it, the difference between the Penguins flaming out and the Penguins winning the cup is not Jimmy Howard.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If trading Howard, now, not at the deadline is the time to move Howie if you are going to move him. There are about 4 or 5 teams looking for goalies, and at the deadline maybe 1 or 2 would still want a goalie. In Pittsburgh and St. Louis's cases, it can be about trying to save their season before it is too late, at the deadline, those teams will either be in, or near in, and won't pay as high a price or any price for a UFA goalie.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think he could return a conditional 2nd and a conditional 3rd. If Pens make the playoffs, 2nd becomes a 1st. If Howard signs back in Detroit, Pens don't surrender their 3rd.

Something like that, I dunno. I think the conditional 2nd is the new "top-10-protected 1st rounder" when it comes to deals for UFAs.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
He can always just be traded and then come back similar to Vanek/Plekanic (spelling)

That's what I was thinking. If the wings want to resign him then why not make a handshake deal with him that after the season they will sign him back and then get an asset for him now while he's a pending UFA?

But as a Pens fan, no way would I give up a 1st rounder to rent Howard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad