Maatta staying, Megna getting called up

ok what the **** is going

5a741c5d4456a922bcf44fd21b45.jpeg

Maybe?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Both Gibbons and Megna have been stellar on the Pk this year. And Gibbons could have easily been the one recalled. Both have great speed. (Gibbons is incredibly fast.) And when they have been paired together, they both have shined this season.

Megna is not banger by any means, but is gritty in that he won't shy away from contact, and he will go to the dirty areas. He has really improved from last season. He is starting to "get it", and I think the game has slowed down for him mentally. As he is making better reads/decisions. So has Gibbons. They look the best in a Pk role, when there is more ice, and can use their speed to pressure and stretch the PP unit when they get the puck.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Not really. Martin just like Bylsma is old mentality and trusts his veterans a lot more then his rookies. You watch come playoff time. Hab fans use to complain about that all the time of him always playing the Gionta and Gomez and never the youngsters

As for Megna we have nothing to lose and I like what I saw from him during pre season

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I haven't been able to catch any WBS games this year, has Megna simplified his game, td?

Skill and effort was never an issue, just decision making.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I haven't been able to catch any WBS games this year, has Megna simplified his game, td?

Skill and effort was never an issue, just decision making.

Yeah, he has Zen. Both him and Gibbons have played much smarter. As last year, both seemed to lack "hockey sense", but now their decisions with and without the puck are much better. Getting a full year of pro hockey under their belt has obviously benefitted.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Megna has some upside, so I'm curious to see how he does at the NHL level. He definitely impressed me at the black and gold game last season, anyway.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They recalled the professional practice player?

Nice. He's the only skill fwd beyond BB I'm excited about, assuming he stops being a pro practice player.

Megna has some sick skill and could flourish with a guy like Malkin. He can beat guys 1-1, has good speed, slick hands and dishes well. Also has scored some nice goals in front of the net, so he isn't a perimeter player.

So I'm sure he will play on the fourth line.

He has a chance to be a legit top six skill winger, honestly. It's just his decision making is comically bad at times so don't get your hopes up either.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Nice. He's the only skill fwd beyond BB I'm excited about, assuming he stops being a pro practice player.

Megna has some sick skill and could flourish with a guy like Malkin. He can beat guys 1-1, has good speed, slick hands and dishes well. Also has scored some nice goals in front of the net, so he isn't a perimeter player.

He has a chance to be a legit top six skill winger, honestly. It's just his decision making is comically bad at times so don't get your hopes up either.

Take it how you will, but Megna practiced with the third line today:
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 4h
#Pens lines at practice: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis, Jokinen-Malkin-Kobasew, Glass-Sutter-Megna, Adams-Vitale-Engelland. The 7 D rotated.

I'm not really sure what happened to Jeffrey, though...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Sounds like he'll fit right in with Geno!

Fire Shero*

After he fails does Shero get back involved with waiver pickups? We would use another Cal O'Reilly or Zach Boychuk.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

So he's Russ Courtnall? Not trying to be funny, just trying to gauge his hockey I.Q.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Jiggy, how much of the poor decision making would you say is based on him being such a late bloomer? Is it mainly inexperience or does he seem to lack a solid Hockey IQ? He has the hands and speed so hopefully he can simplify his decision making

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad