Recalled/Assigned: Penguins have recalled Jayson Megna

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jiggy, how much of the poor decision making would you say is based on him being such a late bloomer? Is it mainly inexperience or does he seem to lack a solid Hockey IQ? He has the hands and speed so hopefully he can simplify his decision making

I think he just needs time. I just like to **** around by calling him a professional practice player because he has so much skill, but it didn't translate on the ice last season.

The good news is he already has 3 goals in 5 or 6 games, but had I believe 5 in 50+ games last season. Progress right?

He is definitely an interesting guy I'm hopeful about, but I'm not getting excited until I see him actually have his skill translating to games on a consistent basis.

But he does have the skill and skating to be a legit top six guy. Plus he is a righty so that's a big plus.

ObsessedCreative*

5a741c5d4456a922bcf44fd21b45.jpeg

Maybe?

Naw I'd saw its more so RS and 66.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Bombulie with the heads-up:
For Pittsburgh fans not familiar with his game, a brief scouting report on Megna: The big thing is skating. He’s good at it. Not a quick little guy like Conner or Gibbons. He’s 6-1, 185 and smooth. Uses his speed well on the penalty kill. Two of his three goals for WBS this season came shorthanded. Last year, he created plenty of offense chances but they didn’t often lead to goals. This year, his finishing has been better. Not physical. A right-handed shot who is most effective at right wing, but can also play center.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
^Sounds like his upside would be a better version of Jeffrey.

Don't mind it at all that they are giving a prospect a look.
Maybe with Maata playing so well, they want to see what they have on the farm finally after Conner and Z got their obligatory DB vets get dibs playing time.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Quite a few folks pointing out J. Martin probably is not the one behind this call-up. Maybe he's had a philosophy change, maybe not. But whoever it is deserves some credit for switching it up and giving a player who actually has the potential to be a part of this teams future a look.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
we can't blame Dan for all of the bad decisions and then not credit him for the good ones... he had as much a part in Maatta/Megna as he did Despres, Bennett (last year) et al.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
No way, fancypants. This has Mike Bales and only Mike Bales written ALL over it and you know it.

André Savard was responsible for Määttä staying and the oft-derided Gilles Meloche pushed for the Megna call up.

Jacques Martin has been banned from interacting with prospects after Randy Sexton caught him trying to teach Després how to consume donuts intravenously.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think he just needs time. I just like to **** around by calling him a professional practice player because he has so much skill, but it didn't translate on the ice last season.

The good news is he already has 3 goals in 5 or 6 games, but had I believe 5 in 50+ games last season. Progress right?

He is definitely an interesting guy I'm hopeful about, but I'm not getting excited until I see him actually have his skill translating to games on a consistent basis.

But he does have the skill and skating to be a legit top six guy. Plus he is a righty so that's a big plus.

You can't teach a finishing touch, so hopefully he just needs more experience to translate those skills into filling the neat. He seems like a bit of a finesse player, so him being on the bottom 6 will be interesting. Does he have a decent 2-way game?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
This franchise hates Zach Sill. He has been with the organization for five years, and he has not played a single game. However, it is good to see that Jayson is getting called-up. I am interested to see how he can adjust to the NHL.

A good option for shootout situations as well.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Glass, Vitale and Adams are all healthy so I see no need to call up Sill.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
This franchise hates Zach Sill. He has been with the organization for five years, and he has not played a single game. However, it is good to see that Jayson is getting called-up. I am interested to see how he can adjust to the NHL.

A good option for shootout situations as well.

I'll say Sill gets his chance next year when Glass is gone (hopefully not re-signed like Adams was who will have 1 more year left...). I'd like to see Sill with Vitale and Farnham.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So he's Russ Courtnall? Not trying to be funny, just trying to gauge his hockey I.Q.

He just needs to realize he has to make a play a second faster.... Don't toe drag when you are last man back... Don't **** around dangling high behind the blueline and make guys straddle the line... Just a bunch of little things you HOPE he corrects with more playing time.

Or he could just be another skilled guy with no hockey sense we all forget about in a couple of years and make comments like "lots of tools, no toolbox"

Last edited:

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I remember Bylsma saying something about being impressed with him at the prospect camp. I doubt very much that it was anyone other than Shero & Bylsma who made the decision to call him up. They may have asked for some opinions but they made the final.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Just my opinion, but I don't think Sill would be effective at all. He is just not able to skate well enough to keep up in the NHL. And imo, he is just an average AHL'er.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Naw I'd saw its more so RS and 66.

The lengths that people will go to in order to avoid giving credit to DB for a move they like is astounding. I'm sure Shero and Lemieux make a point of staying out of the coach's roster decisions...except when it comes to the illustrious Jayson Megna.

Or maybe, you know, DB isn't nearly as youth-averse as he's made out to be. He just likes them to be responsible as possible.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
With D'Agostini presumably coming of IR Saturday, it would've been easy for the brass to slot Conner, Z, or even Jeffrey in for a game.

So i give the brass some kudos for getting this kid up, even if it's just for 1 game. If he impresses. Insert D'ags in, keep Megna in and sit Engelland/Jeffrey for Saturday.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
^Sounds like his upside would be a better version of Jeffrey.

Don't mind it at all that they are giving a prospect a look.
Maybe with Maata playing so well, they want to see what they have on the farm finally after Conner and Z got their obligatory DB vets get dibs playing time.

He isn't much like Jeffrey. Kind of polar opposites. Megna is a much better skater and looks silky smooth while Jeffrey is an avg skater and looks a little awkward.

You can't teach a finishing touch, so hopefully he just needs more experience to translate those skills into filling the neat. He seems like a bit of a finesse player, so him being on the bottom 6 will be interesting. Does he have a decent 2-way game?

It's not bad. It shouldn't hurt his chances of staying up or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->