Recalled/Assigned: Penguins have recalled Jayson Megna

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd assume Coach Hynes has a big say in who gets called up because he is the main guy who makes the recommendations, or is that completely wrong haha?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd assume Coach Hynes has a big say in who gets called up because he is the main guy who makes the recommendations, or is that completely wrong haha?

It's a communication thing, I am sure looking at the stat line and asking Hynes is something Bylsma does when he needs a new body up on the big club, but I was hoping Gibbons would get called up, it would kind of suck to be him, he's putting up good numbers, but maybe his play doesn't add up to being NHL ready, as of yet.

Megna has "NHL speed" which has been said a lot, he seems like one of those guys that could put it all together in the right situation.

ObsessedCreative*

The lengths that people will go to in order to avoid giving credit to DB for a move they like is astounding. I'm sure Shero and Lemieux make a point of staying out of the coach's roster decisions...except when it comes to the illustrious Jayson Megna.

Or maybe, you know, DB isn't nearly as youth-averse as he's made out to be. He just likes them to be responsible as possible.

This is the first year in going on like 4 years we have finally seen change... there HAS to be some outside pressure coming down on Disco, because we have seen exactly how he operates for those past 4 years were we saw the same crap in and out. I dunno why you just feel Bylsma just all of the sudden took 4 years to finally wise up.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This is the first year in going on like 4 years we have finally seen change... there HAS to be some outside pressure coming down on Disco, because we have seen exactly how he operates for those past 4 years were we saw the same crap in and out. I dunno why you just feel Bylsma just all of the sudden took 4 years to finally wise up.

Maybe it's just because he was given a fat ass contract and more job security?

Or maybe a young guy actually played his way on to the team? Maatta has earned everything he was just given. It was not handed to him.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Except Megna is not a blueliner. So, what's your point?

If I'm sitting in the ahl months removed from being called a top 4 dman(after a solid rookie season), seeing other young guys being called up, I'd be pretty pissed regardless of position. Maybe this lights the fire that Management is supposedly wanting out of him. Pretty simple concept to grasp, really.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If I'm sitting in the ahl months removed from being called a top 4 dman(after a solid rookie season), seeing other young guys being called up, I'd be pretty pissed regardless of position. Maybe this lights the fire that Management is supposedly wanting out of him. Pretty simple concept to grasp, really.

If there was room, he'd be up there, there isn't. Pens are using a freaking defenseman as a 4th line winger.

The lengths people go to whine about Despres not being called up without using reasoning and proper rationale is crazy. We have discussions about moving Nisky and Engo so the team HAS the space.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
If there was room, he'd be up there, there isn't. Pens are using a freaking defenseman as a 4th line winger.

The lengths people go to whine about Despres not being called up without using reasoning and proper rationale is crazy. We have discussions about moving Nisky and Engo so the team HAS the space.

Is it really whining if I'm pointing something out? Or are you just exacerbating my one sentence?

I don't think it's going too far to say anyone in Despres' situation would be upset right now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Is it really whining if I'm pointing something out? Or are you just exacerbating my one sentence?

I don't think it's going too far to say anyone in Despres' situation would be upset right now.

I wouldn't be upset. I am sure he understands the cap situation, the bodies that aren't waiver friendly on defense and that he was sick during camp so he didn't look his best. The moment he does, I am sure the team will make the room.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Lots of young players were called up, it's just that most of them weren't good/consistent enough to earn the coach's trust. This ain't rocket science.

Or do you think the Tangradi icetime argument is still valid, even though he can't make the Jets' full-time roster?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Except that Maatta's excellent play means that WE HAVE NO MORE ROOM FOR BLUELINERS WITHOUT A TRADE. And with Bennett, Neal, and a host of other injuries to our forwards, you'd think that maybe, just maybe we might need one of those guys more.

That seems like an even simpler concept to grasp, actually.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Personally I think calling up Megna seems reasonable. He is more likely to hold his own physically than Conner and Gibbons. He is a dangerous penalty killer and responsible player defensively, and in the role he is likely to have for us now, those seem like more appealing characteristics than those of a small, skilled scorer. IMO.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
You're all so wrong. It's elementary people. It's right in front of you're eyes, on the tip of your tongue and you just can't see it. It involves a trade. He is being showcased as part of a deal involving Niskanen/Engo/Glass and Despres. Man, this board has really lost its focus lately!

Did I do that right????
;)

ObsessedCreative*

Lots of young players were called up, it's just that most of them weren't good/consistent enough to earn the coach's trust. This ain't rocket science.

Or do you think the Tangradi icetime argument is still valid, even though he can't make the Jets' full-time roster?
no I always knew the big dud was one of the most over-rated pos ever on here.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm right there with you on some of Disco's issues but I also feel that he's a coach without a lot of experience. The big thing for me is that he learns from his mistakes and gets better.

Maybe it took until this year, and some pressure, to let some of his thoughts go and not force things.

I'm actually a Bylsma fan and want him to do well. I like the way he handles the team and himself BUT... I can also see some of the glaring issues at hand. I take the mindset "As long as he's getting better...". After last year I really questioned if he was.

What I hope for most is Bylsma sees some of his mistakes and makes adjustments. IMO he's very close to being a really good coach. If he can learn from Martin while bringing his assets he'll be great. He just has to allow that mix of styles.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Take it how you will, but Megna practiced with the third line today:

I'm not really sure what happened to Jeffrey, though...

^Sounds like his upside would be a better version of Jeffrey.

Don't mind it at all that they are giving a prospect a look.
Maybe with Maata playing so well, they want to see what they have on the farm finally after Conner and Z got their obligatory DB vets get dibs playing time.

Who is this Jeffrey guy yinz are talkin' bout?

Do we have confirmation he's still in Pittsburgh?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I think you'd have to assume that the whole organization is pretty keyed into these things. Modernizing communications and then forging strong connections between the farm clubs and Pens was one of the first things Shero did when he got here. It's a major part of his legacy with this organization.

I don't see anyway that a player gets recalled without Shero discussing it with both Bylsma, Hynes, and Botterill (perhaps even the assistant coaches) first. That's just not Shero's MO. Everyone from the top on down seems tp be in constant communication, according to everything that's been written about the front office.

Edit: This is partially why I think it's ludicrous when people claim that Shero doesn't see what's going on with the lineup. The guy lives and breathes the game AND he's surrounded by people who also live and breathe the game. And on top of that, paying attention to the lineups and players in all parts of the organization is pretty much a part of everyone's job there.

You can disagree with the front office's choices on many fronts, but I don't think ignorance of what other parts of the organization are doing is one of them.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->