Rumor: Penguins have offers for one of their goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
At 30 years old, he's going to get a better contract. Has a better history, has won the cup, and is still a great goalie. A couple rough patches aren't going to derail his value....least I don't believe so. Guy has proven on more than one occasion that he's a beast in the regular season (both with numbers and games played/wins) and has proven it on the big stage too. He's prime for a career contract.

You can say everything the same for MM as well, just change his age, and lower his games played/wins in regular season. He won 2 cups vs Holby's 1. Not sure if MM is ready for career contract yet, but everything else is description of MM too

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, Holtby is just a 5 years older version of Murray. I don't know how someone can act like Holtby is really "better" than Murray at this point. You can knock Holtby for everything you can knock Murray for, outside of injury issues.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, Holtby is just a 5 years older version of Murray. I don't know how someone can act like Holtby is really "better" than Murray at this point. You can knock Holtby for everything you can knock Murray for, outside of injury issues.
Holtby costs no assets to acquire.

Reactions: Pens x

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He's also 5 years older and can decide to not sign with your team.

Trading 2 2nds or whatever to get a guy who's 5 years younger and guaranteed to sign seems like a pretty good trade off to me.
Agreed, and as the potential UFA goalies resign with their current teams (Lehner sounds like his deal is all but done) guys like Murray have their value go up.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He's also 5 years older and can decide to not sign with your team.

Trading 2 2nds or whatever to get a guy who's 5 years younger and has some level of cost control seems like a pretty good trade off to me.
This is why I still expect Murray to go to Buffalo, Ottawa, some place like that. Somewhere that would require an overpay to a UFA like Holtby to go to because its a less appealing market, or a rebuilding team, something like that. Get Murray in and sign him.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Holtby costs no assets to acquire.

But a few extra mil a year and longer term.

Murray also has much more to prove. Even tho he won 2 cups to Holtby's 1...Braden was known to be one of the best playoff goaltenders ever, for years. But he couldnt get by the Pens. Once he did and won it all, he hasnt really looked like he had that same hunger he had in 18.

While Murray is out to prove hes not another lucky young goalie to win it all then disappears. Hes also had a ton of drama in Pitt, with the whole Fleury thing and then Jarry. Not saying he doesnt like it in Pitt but Im sure he would be happy to go elsewhere and get a new start. Add him to the Avs and they win it all imo. Maybe Carolina turns into the next top EC team for years if they add him. They are kind of built like Tampa, they need a top goalie. Not a rotation.

As for Oilers....prob the one team in the league that would have the opposite impact on him. And falls apart even more. They have to be the weirdest team in the history of the NHL that consists of two of the best players in the league.

Their fans keep saying they dont have help(Crosby had a much better team) when that isnt true at all. Back in 09 we had past their prime vets in Sykora, Satan, Fedotenko, etc. Then guys like Talbot , Kennedy. Yeah there waa Staal, but theyve had RNH. Yamamoto. On D they have a stacked top 4.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
From Friedman

The sheer volume of free-agent goalies is affecting the trade market at the position. Teams are wondering if it is worth giving up an asset when they can simply sign someone. Pittsburgh has run into that issue as it tries to clear its crease.

Will be interesting to see what JR does and what a deal for one of his goalies looks like

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
At this point, just sign both of them and have them battle for the No. 1 job. Then you deal with Seattle at the end of 2020-21. What is the worst thing that can happen? You lose Matt Murray for nothing? Seems like an asset win compared to some of our other, more recent moves. :(

And if the two goaltenders (or at least one of them) balks at the idea of sharing the crease, then tell them to go find themselves a better deal on the RFA market and take the picks.

The market should dictate the move.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
At this point, just sign both of them and have them battle for the No. 1 job. Then you deal with Seattle at the end of 2020-21. What is the worst thing that can happen? You lose Matt Murray for nothing? Seems like an asset win compared to some of our other, more recent moves. :(

And if the two goaltenders (or at least one of them) balks at the idea of sharing the crease, then tell them to go find themselves a better deal on the RFA market and take the picks.

The market should dictate the move.

We couldn't afford to resign both of them if wanted to and even then, we'd lose one to Seattle the following year. Its time to move Murray now.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Moving either is fine. Whichever gives a legitimate return and not some reclamation JR is salivating over.

I think Jarry plays to the strengths of our current system better - but I also recognize that that system is highly unlikely to remain here much longer. A more shutdown/slow/methodical Murray may be the better choice even 6 months from now. Granted - I still have faith Murray can rebound and become a top 5 goalie again. Not a bad spot to be in - and having both (still) is the only bright spot of this 'Summer' so far.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We couldn't afford to resign both of them if wanted to and even then, we'd lose one to Seattle the following year. Its time to move Murray now.

The market is slow, so trading one now seems foolhardy and premature. Of course, Rutherford has been on quite a roll since the 2017 Cup win, so I fully expect him to trade a goaltender for pennies on the dollar.

There is no rush here. If you have to trade a goaltender in a buyers market like the current situation, you can do so after this season as well. The reason to trade a goaltender now would be if the market would be better than in a pre-expansion-draft environment like next summer. If the market is similar, then hold your cards.

As for not being able to afford to keep both, that remains to be seen as well. Again, neither player has a contract right now so we don't know for sure what they will end up with in terms of salary. If you sit tight, the players might flinch and accept something shorter term because of the current economic climate.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Maybe something around Freddy and Murray works? If the rumours are true that the Pens have an internal cap Freddy is only owed 1 million in real dollars plus he would give Jarry a very good Veteran to lean on.

For Toronto their goaltending future would be set with Murray and Campbell.

It wouldn't be 1 for 1 but I think the basis of a deal is there.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Pittsburgh is nuts if they think they can get a lot for Murray after the season he has had. Something a bit more than what Allen's trade fetched is about it...especially with the many , many free agent goalies who will be available this year.

Pittsburgh barely has any draft picks in this entry draft. They would be wise to move Murray for a 3rd or 4th round pick, then sign a free agent goalie for much cheaper to backup Jarry, and use extra cap room for other assets.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Maybe something around Freddy and Murray works? If the rumours are true that the Pens have an internal cap Freddy is only owed 1 million in real dollars plus he would give Jarry a very good Veteran to lean on.

For Toronto their goaltending future would be set with Murray and Campbell.

It wouldn't be 1 for 1 but I think the basis of a deal is there.
Freddy + fir Murray sounds fair to me, but (imo) the Leafs are going backwards in nets. Yes, Murray has two Cups, but is he really better than Freddy?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
It’s not really an apples to apples comparison though. Despite his down season, Holtby does have a vezina and has a lot more experience than Murray. They’ve both shown they can backstop a cup winning team but prime Holtby was on another level. Most of us think of them as being a wash due to recency bias but I could easily see a gm preferring Holtby based on pedigree and name recognition. Bob got a huge payday based on individual awards in the past despite showing signs of declining, someone might make the same mistake.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From the sounds of it, it sounds like the Penguins are going to try to use Murray to get out of Johnson's contract, and if they can't do that, they'll take the best futures package they can get for Murray (which is probably like 2 late 2nds at this point) and buyout JJ.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You know JR is trying to include Jack Johnson in any trade, which is likely turning away any respectable team.

The goalie market is loaded; there is not much motivation to piss away assets on a goalie that has been average at best for 3 years.

Reactions: Tripod

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
From the sounds of it, it sounds like the Penguins are going to try to use Murray to get out of Johnson's contract, and if they can't do that, they'll take the best futures package they can get for Murray (which is probably like 2 late 2nds at this point) and buyout JJ.

I wish they would have just bought out JJ originally and not sort of devalued Murray a bit by constantly including JJ in any package for him.

*Assuming that's what the scenario is

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Or maybe GMs don't have the long term memory loss problems that fans have, and they realize that Murray is a good young goalie with a great resume coming off a bad year.
If that was the case wouldn’t he be moved? I think the goalie market is flooded and the domino effect will start when somebody accepts current market value.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Murray is the perfect age to sign a 6 year deal. Some team should try to get a bargain on him for term. After covid, the cap will go up and goalies will make a lot of money again.

In 3 or 4 years, goalies will likely be signing for $8 - 10M a year. (Not sure what the Murray camp is looking for money-wise.)

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Murray is the perfect age to sign a 6 year deal. Some team should try to get a bargain on him for term. After covid, the cap will go up and goalies will make a lot of money again.

In 3 or 4 years, goalies will likely be signing for $8 - 10M a year. (Not sure what the Murray camp is looking for money-wise.)

I think a contender now (like Edmonton, Toronto, or Colorado) would be wise to trade for him and have him sign a 2-3 deal for cheap. Then if he wins and performs, he can cash in later. That said, the Gibson and Andersen deals are good comparables for him. If he's willing to a 5x5, that's even better for a team. But I think there's a chance of getting him to sign a cheaper 2-yr deal right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wish they would have just bought out JJ originally and not sort of devalued Murray a bit by constantly including JJ in any package for him.

*Assuming that's what the scenario is

Nah, I'd rather get a worse return for Murray and fully get out of JJ's contract.

Something like Murray and Johnson to Detroit for Glendening and a 3rd is better than getting either 2 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd for Murray, IMO.

Reactions: Giskard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad