Rumor: Penguins have offers for one of their goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah because hes really gonna say something different.

i mean i dont know if Colorado is going to add a goalie.

i just know they probably should.
That team deserves a serious upgrade in goal. If Little Joe doesn’t improve his goaltending he’s doing a disservice to the core players. It’s his job to build the best support group he can. Clearly Murray is a huge improvement for them.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

"Between Philipp and Pavel, is it fair to say you like what you have there?

In my mind, we don’t have issues with our goalies. When they are healthy, we have had no issues all year. Like every goalie, you have your rough patches but over the course of the year, they both played well. You don’t get where we were being second or third overall (record-wise). That’s not a concern."

So much for the goalie-to-Colorado rumours then.

If Sakic is negotiating with Rutherford to acquire Murray, what do you want him to say? "I have no faith in our goalies and we're desperate to acquire one"?

Maybe they *don't* acquire Murray. But using what a GM says about his current goalie situation as proof is kind of weird considering a big part of making trades is not letting the other side know how much you want something. Sakic can't exactly bluff Rutherford into a lowball offer if he's already gone on record as saying he's desperate to upgrade his goalies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

"Between Philipp and Pavel, is it fair to say you like what you have there?

In my mind, we don’t have issues with our goalies. When they are healthy, we have had no issues all year. Like every goalie, you have your rough patches but over the course of the year, they both played well. You don’t get where we were being second or third overall (record-wise). That’s not a concern."

So much for the goalie-to-Colorado rumours then.

I honestly don’t know what else Colorado would be scouting PIT for.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
McCann? Avs needs a 3C like nobody's business. Whether or not McCann is better than our current 3C in Compher is up for debate.

Do you have anyone who can create offense to play on that line? Because McCann only looked dangerous offensively when he was either on the wing in the top six or when he had a guy like Kahun on his wing creating chances.

When McCann had to center Marleau and Hornqvist, neither guy being good at puck carrying/creating chances, that line was horribad.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
They can’t be that desperate for a third center...

Oh, my friend, I imagine Sakic is desperate for help in the 3C slot. When the 3rd line plays so poorly in the playoffs that the 4th line becomes the 3rd line, that's going to spark some action from the GM. I could see Sakic exploring all options, even if McCann was scratched in the playoffs.

McCann wouldn’t have been available last year though.

I can see them being interested now despite @Mr Jiggyfly ’s disgust with his play.

I have no idea why Colorado was scouting Pittsburgh if it wasn't for a goalie and wasn't for McCann. Those seem to e the two biggest question marks on the Colorado roster this offseason. Maybe there's a bigger deal coming down the pipeline that nobody predicts.

Do you have anyone who can create offense to play on that line? Because McCann only looked dangerous offensively when he was either on the wing in the top six or when he had a guy like Kahun on his wing creating chances.

When McCann had to center Marleau and Hornqvist, neither guy being good at puck carrying/creating chances, that line was horribad.

Umm, does Joonas Donskoi count? :laugh: I imagine Jost will be gone, and Compher being shipped out in a trade wouldn't surprise me. If Nichushkin stays on the second line with Kadri, then I think Donskoi would be our best bet at creating offense alongside McCann on this hypothetical 3rd line. Maybe Newhook if the NCAA season doesn't get under way by December?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Oh, my friend, I imagine Sakic is desperate for help in the 3C slot. When the 3rd line plays so poorly in the playoffs that the 4th line becomes the 3rd line, that's going to spark some action from the GM. I could see Sakic exploring all options, even if McCann was scratched in the playoffs.

I have no idea why Colorado was scouting Pittsburgh if it wasn't for a goalie and wasn't for McCann. Those seem to e the two biggest question marks on the Colorado roster this offseason. Maybe there's a bigger deal coming down the pipeline that nobody predicts.

Umm, does Joonas Donskoi count? :laugh: I imagine Jost will be gone, and Compher being shipped out in a trade wouldn't surprise me. If Nichushkin stays on the second line with Kadri, then I think Donskoi would be our best bet at creating offense alongside McCann on this hypothetical 3rd line. Maybe Newhook if the NCAA season doesn't get under way by December?

I think the Avs have a set up that could make McCann work. Pens big issue is we have Crosby and Malkin who eat up every offensive shift. I think COL could use Kadri as a defensive option and McCann would get the soft minutes he had behind Malkin when he was kicking ass here.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think the Avs have a set up that could make McCann work. Pens big issue is we have Crosby and Malkin who eat up every offensive shift. I think COL could use Kadri as a defensive option and McCann would get the soft minutes he had behind Malkin when he was kicking ass here.
I don't know McCann as a player anywhere close to enough to speculate on if he would succeed with the Avs, so I'll take your word for it. What I will say is the Avs need a lynchpin 3C more than anything else, and if McCann can provide solid defense on top of occasional offense that would be right up the alley of what the Avs are looking for. If he's the type of offensive 3C that needs sheltering, I'm not sure I see the fit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't know McCann as a player anywhere close to enough to speculate on if he would succeed with the Avs, so I'll take your word for it. What I will say is the Avs need a lynchpin 3C more than anything else, and if McCann can provide solid defense on top of occasional offense that would be right up the alley of what the Avs are looking for. If he's the type of offensive 3C that needs sheltering, I'm not sure I see the fit.

He’s a decent defensive player. He’s basically Compher though. Without being a right shot.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
He’s a decent defensive player. He’s basically Compher though. Without being a right shot.
Yeah, I've seen that comparison before and it doesn't really make sense to me, especially if McCann truly is good at defense. Compher isn't that good of a defensive forward; he's good on the PK because of his speed, but I wouldn't put him out on the ice if I want to shut down an opposing team or player. If McCann plays defense like Compher, then I honestly would prefer it if Sakic would just stick with the (red-headed) devil we know.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

It's worth remembering that at the deadline Grubauer was injured (for the 2nd or 3rd time up to that point of the season), so Sakic was probably doing his due diligence with the goaltender market to see what options were available. In the end we went for a 3rd string goalie in Hutchinson, but it's possible that he also considered Murray to guard against Grubauer not being fit for the start of the playoffs (which would have been 8 weeks later). Francouz was playing really well at the time, going 8-2-2 so Sakic probably decided that more than a 3rd goalie wasn't needed.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
If Sakic is negotiating with Rutherford to acquire Murray, what do you want him to say? "I have no faith in our goalies and we're desperate to acquire one"?

Maybe they *don't* acquire Murray. But using what a GM says about his current goalie situation as proof is kind of weird considering a big part of making trades is not letting the other side know how much you want something. Sakic can't exactly bluff Rutherford into a lowball offer if he's already gone on record as saying he's desperate to upgrade his goalies.
Fair points.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
GARRIOCH: Fans of the Ottawa Senators won't have as long a wait for NHL draft | Ottawa Sun

The pick from the Isles is a wildcard. The organization has discussed the possibility of going to get a veteran goaltender and the pick acquired for moving centre Jean-Gabriel Pageau could be used to go that route. There will be a lot of options with that selection and because this is a deep draft it could also big dividends for the club to keep it

Yeah, I think Ottawa using NYI's 1st rounder to get Murray makes a lot of sense too. They're not a win-now team like Colorado is, but they fit basically everything else that Colorado fits as well: strong prospect pool where they can afford to trade a 1st and enough cap space to be able to sign Murray long-term.

If the Penguins want picks for Murray, I also think Ottawa makes sense because they can dangle 2nd rounders that probably equal a 1st rounder in value. Personally, I'd prefer to have Ottawa's 2nd and another 2nd over the Islanders 1st.

I’d love to offer 2 2nds or something around the Isles 1st for Murray, but do you guys consider him a “Veteran goaltender” as stated in the quote? Kinda makes me think they are looking at Kuemper instead

Edit: I thought I saw something on the Sens board about them being interested in Kuemper which is why name is mentioned

Regardless I doubt it Happens in the end. But Murray would be great in Ott

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I honestly don’t know what else Colorado would be scouting PIT for.
Mix of Bednar and Sakic quotes.

Francouz:

“He was dealing with hip and knee problems that were giving him some weakness and some pain and he just couldn’t keep going. Obviously it got worse as the series went on."

Goalie Future:

“I feel good about (them),” Bednar said of his two goalies heading into next season, amid rumors of the Avs bringing in another goalie. “I have a lot of belief in those guys. We’re going to evaluate some things and make sure we’re doing everything we can to keep those guys healthy and get them strong and get them on a daily and weekly routine to make sure we’re doing everything so when we hit the most important time of the year, they’re strong and healthy.”

Free agency:

“I think there’s some tinkering to be done but I think this is a great year of experience for our players,” Sakic added. “They’ll be ready to come back next year.”

I mean, maybe Sakic is just holding his cards close to his chest, but this doesn't sound like a GM and coach who are even the tiniest bit concerned about the goaltending.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Avs look to have a bright future, don’t McCann yourself.

Don’t...

d7a.gif

Do it...

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
McCann in very frustrating

you can see the speed, the shot, and he puts up solid points totals. But there is just something missing and a soon as you think hes going to put something together... he... just... doesnt and 20 ganes later he only has 5 more points and your left wondering what the hell happened

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Mailbag: Murray trade options, Maple Leafs future, Wild goalie plan

TL;DR: Rosen lists Colorado and Toronto as the most intriguing options for Murray, along with Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa. Based on the returns he listed, I think he's expecting Murray to bring back a good return.
Why didn't we just trade Murray for Andersen and Kapanen then? Andersen is only signed for one more year and then he's gone in time for the expansion draft. Then we would have our first round pick and Hallander to play with fixing our bottom 6 or third pairing. Then you could try pulling smaller moves like Kadri for the first, and JJ+Hallander for some guy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
McCann in very frustrating

you can see the speed, the shot, and he puts up solid points totals. But there is just something missing and a soon as you think hes going to put something together... he... just... doesnt and 20 ganes later he only has 5 more points and your left wondering what the hell happened

I attribute it to the same thing I attribute a lot of "inconsistencies" you see in various players who sometimes look like legit scorers and other times look like ghosts. Offensive vision/awareness is limited with him, IMO.

I think players who rely on their tools can be streakier than players who have the vision/IQ to make things happen every game. McCann's a guy who can get hot when he's working hard, flying down the wing, and his shot is on and he's hitting the corners. But he's a guy who lacks the creativity to get himself out of a funk if his shot down the wing isn't going in for him.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
McCann was 23 all last season while being moved back and forth from LW to C. And 2C to 3C. An offensive minded role to a defensive.

This while being on his 3rd team now since he entered the league at 19(too early Canucks).

Id say he did pretty good putting up 35 pts (14 g 21a) in 66 games considering everything he went thru. Never having consistent linemates, nor a position, or even an exact role/line. And again only 23, will be 24 next season and hopefully can have a spot in the lineup that lets him continue to develop.

Id either have him as 3LW or 3C . But means we need to add someone who does fit as 3C(Haula type) if hes going to be LW. Or we need to add a skilled winger if hes gonna be 3C. He did his best when with Kahun and Tanev. Kahun is similar to Kapanen so ideally we would have a 3rd line of...

Tanev - McCann - Kapanen

Moving Hornqvist up to 1RW where he belongs. He didnt get worse as a player, hes just banned from ever playing with Sid. Even tho it always worked. Kills two birds with one light bulb if Sully would just do it. Crosby isnt the coach. Yet.

Guentzel- Crosby - Hornqvist
Zucker- Malkin - Rust
Tanev - McCann - Kapanen

Blueger at 4C . Keep him in a defensive role or let him shine? Maybe Bjugstad heals up and gels with him at RW. And Id call up Samuel Poulin for sure. Adding skill to this line. Since none of them are strictly 4th liners. All skilled but play a 2 way game.

Theres still Simon and ZAR but IDK with them come playoff time. Im more looking at what lines would be for playoffs than reg season.

Back to McCann . Is it the fact he lacks that hockey IQ or that since 19 years old hes been on 3 diff teams playing different positions with different players and types of players(2nd line to 3rd...back and forth) ? Maybe that has impacted his point totals? Im actually more impressed with him getting 35 pts being in the situation he was in , over someone getting 50+ on a top line wing with Sid.

Also, Rust didnt breakout until this past year at age 26. McCann will be 24.

I say no to trading him. It would be a mistake like the Caps trading Burakovsky to Avs . At the same age too.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Why didn't we just trade Murray for Andersen and Kapanen then? Andersen is only signed for one more year and then he's gone in time for the expansion draft. Then we would have our first round pick and Hallander to play with fixing our bottom 6 or third pairing. Then you could try pulling smaller moves like Kadri for the first, and JJ+Hallander for some guy.
Cause pens didn't want Andersen....lol

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
You need a really good goalie to win a cup. Murray has two of them. It is over a playoff series that really good teams can exploit mediocre goalies. Pens took highly rated goalies in just beat them for years. Thats why some of the names are just names with any real pedigree. Murray has proven to be that guy twice. Age 25 and probably can be had for a decent package. Mediocre goal tending in the playoffs is so tough to overcome. It just kills momentum and a chance to win a series. Yep keep playing it smart like Calgary and lose every freaken year or the Oilers who think stars can win cups. Not without top goal tending they can't.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
You need a really good goalie to win a cup. Murray has two of them. It is over a playoff series that really good teams can exploit mediocre goalies. Pens took highly rated goalies in just beat them for years. Thats why some of the names are just names with any real pedigree. Murray has proven to be that guy twice. Age 25 and probably can be had for a decent package. Mediocre goal tending in the playoffs is so tough to overcome. It just kills momentum and a chance to win a series. Yep keep playing it smart like Calgary and lose every freaken year or the Oilers who think stars can win cups. Not without top goal tending they can't.

Is Murray that top goaltender? Last time I checked, I don't see anyone confusing him with Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, or Belfour. Osgood won a cup and looked great at times playing behind a loaded Wings team. If you have a strong enough team, you may only need a goalie that doesn't make critical mistakes.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Is Murray that top goaltender? Last time I checked, I don't see anyone confusing him with Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, or Belfour. Osgood won a cup and looked great at times playing behind a loaded Wings team. If you have a strong enough team, you may only need a goalie that doesn't make critical mistakes.

Oddly enough that is/was Murray's biggest attribute. The Pens went from a total headcase in Fleury - who would often try to do too much and was prone to utter melt downs - to a guy who was 'good enough' to let the team in front of him play their system. He'd move the puck when needed, he'd freeze the puck when needed. If you watch any of the back to back runs he helped us through - that was pretty much it. Solid positioning, playing what you're supposed to play, and freezing what you're supposed to freeze. The fact that we had MAF for so long, Murray's "poise" and "confidence" seemed almost super-human but in reality he's (was) just a calm kid in net who does a good job. Quite frankly he's the model for what half of the modern goalies should be (the half that aren't super mobile).

He was highly overrated in the Smythe discussion - but underrated in the form of doing the job you're tasked with. If the Pens end up keeping him over Jarry I will be one of the folks (few?) who are okay with it.. he needs work but isn't beyond being a consistent top 5 goalie in the NHL based on his mindset in regard to his job/skillset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->