Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Reason that Colorado makes sense...

1. Murray would be an upgrade
2. In their championship window
3. Age fits their cores age
4. They have the cap space
5. They have numerous assets that they can move without hurting their current roster or touching their top prospects.
6. They have been linked to the Pittsburgh goalie situation since the deadline and more reports keep coming saying they have interest.

I think it makes sense that Colorado is interested if they're over Grubauer's injury history with them and are now no longer sold on Francouz after the playoffs. However, their issues I don't think are much different overall than Murray's issues. The position, in general, is highly volatile in what you'll get from someone from one year to the next. I think Colorado's interest is at least real enough to gauge what it'll take but not enough to actually pull the trigger. I think Murray will end up in Edmonton or Calgary.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mailbag: Murray trade options, Maple Leafs future, Wild goalie plan

Where will Matt Murray likely be traded to? And what do you think the price will be? -- @JConz17

There certainly should be options for the Pittsburgh Penguins if they're going to trade goalie Matt Murray. I think the top five destinations, in no particular order, are the Toronto Maple Leafs, Colorado Avalanche, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Ottawa Senators. Murray can become a restricted free agent after this season.

I think the Penguins would do well if they could get a first-round pick for Murray considering they don't have one in the 2020 NHL Draft or the 2021 NHL Draft, and they've made one first-round pick since 2015. The Penguins are in win-now mode, which is obvious by the fact they continue to trade away first-round picks.

If they are going to trade Murray, it's logical to assume they will want a return that includes a player who can help them immediately. It will be difficult to get that and a first-round pick, so they might be looking more for a top-four defenseman or middle-six forward along with a prospect or a second- or third-round draft pick as the return for Murray.

However, trading Murray and getting a quality return could present a challenge for general manager Jim Rutherford because the free agent market is expected to be flush with quality goalies, including Robin Lehner (Vegas Golden Knights), Braden Holtby (Washington Capitals) and Jacob Markstrom (Vancouver Canucks). There also could be solid 1B/backup options: Thomas Greiss (New York Islanders), Anton Khudobin (Dallas Stars) and Cam Talbot (Calgary Flames). Teams that could be interested in Murray might first want to test the free agent market because they wouldn't have to give up assets to get a goalie. With Murray, they'd have to give up assets and sign him to a new contract.

I wonder about the Avalanche and the Maple Leafs the most.

The Avalanche have Philipp Grubauer signed through next season and Pavel Francouz through 2021-22. If they view Murray as an upgrade to one or both, they could make the move early to get him and eschew trying to dive into the free agent market. If it was Murray and Grubauer, that likely would be more of a shared net. If it was Murray and Francouz, Murray likely would be the primary starter.

I wonder about Toronto's interest particularly because of general manager Kyle Dubas' connection to Murray from their time together with Sault Ste. Marie of the Ontario Hockey League; Dubas was Sault Ste. Marie GM from 2011-14, when Murray was its goalie. Maple Leafs goalie Frederik Andersen is signed for one more season and turns 31 on Oct. 2. He's a tradable commodity. But is there a trade match with the Penguins? Pittsburgh acquired Kasperi Kapanen, a middle-six forward, in a trade with Toronto on Aug. 25, and the Maple Leafs' defensemen are a work in progress, with Tyson Barrie and Cody Ceci each able to become an unrestricted free agent. That might stop any trade involving Murray between Toronto and Pittsburgh.

TL;DR: Rosen lists Colorado and Toronto as the most intriguing options for Murray, along with Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa. Based on the returns he listed, I think he's expecting Murray to bring back a good return.

Reactions: domaug

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I think it makes sense that Colorado is interested if they're over Grubauer's injury history with them and are now no longer sold on Francouz after the playoffs. However, their issues I don't think are much different overall than Murray's issues. The position, in general, is highly volatile in what you'll get from someone from one year to the next. I think Colorado's interest is at least real enough to gauge what it'll take but not enough to actually pull the trigger. I think Murray will end up in Edmonton or Calgary.

He very well might, Grubauer and Francouz are both really good in their current situation but neither are the horse that you can ride the whole way through it seems. Colorado has so many disposable assets it wouldn't surprise me at all if they pulled the trigger.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's also amusing to see fans of teams say "we don't need him", as though they're privy to the thoughts and plans of their team's GM. If multiple reports suggest a team is interested in a player, then clearly that team's GM feels differently than their fans.

JBreed02

May 12, 2013
Baden, PA
But..are we PROTECTING him? Kaapo is protected mate. PRO-TEC-TED.
tenor - 2020-09-09T172335.768.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think Edmonton is right to say no to Murray for pick #14, but I think Murray to Colorado for pick #24 makes sense if JR wants a 1st for him.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

I think Edmonton is right to say no to Murray for pick #14, but I think Murray to Colorado for pick #24 makes sense if JR wants a 1st for him.

I feel like there's gotta be more to this. I'm all for getting a 1st, but I really thought JR would want a piece (or pieces) that would help the current roster. Maybe he packages McCann and/or ZAR to accomplish that, or he just flips the 1st since he's apparently allergic to making a 1st round selection more than once every 5 years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I feel like there's gotta be more to this. I'm all for getting a 1st, but I really thought JR would want a piece (or pieces) that would help the current roster. Maybe he packages McCann and/or ZAR to accomplish that, or he just flips the 1st since he's apparently allergic to making a 1st round selection more than once every 5 years.

It probably makes the Kapanen trade more palatable if he can grab a first for Murray, but I'm definitely glad Edmonton has said no to 14th.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
It probably makes the Kapanen trade more palatable if he can grab a first for Murray, but I'm definitely glad Edmonton has said no to 14th.
I definitely don't blame them. And since Edmonton is without a 2nd, 3rd or 4th, it's not like JR can ask for lower picks + as some kind of compromise.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
As the top UFA goalies resign with their current teams (Lehner and Markstrom talks moving along) the price to acquire top young goalies in trade will go up.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think the goal for JR is to turn the Kapanen trade into basically Murray and Hallander for Kapanen and Lindgren. I think that's what he preferred to do in the first place, and Toronto just wasn't willing to do it at the time.

When Lehner and Markstrom re-sign with their respective teams, I think someone will get desperate and meet JR's ask for Murray.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
GARRIOCH: Fans of the Ottawa Senators won't have as long a wait for NHL draft | Ottawa Sun

The pick from the Isles is a wildcard. The organization has discussed the possibility of going to get a veteran goaltender and the pick acquired for moving centre Jean-Gabriel Pageau could be used to go that route. There will be a lot of options with that selection and because this is a deep draft it could also big dividends for the club to keep it

Yeah, I think Ottawa using NYI's 1st rounder to get Murray makes a lot of sense too. They're not a win-now team like Colorado is, but they fit basically everything else that Colorado fits as well: strong prospect pool where they can afford to trade a 1st and enough cap space to be able to sign Murray long-term.

If the Penguins want picks for Murray, I also think Ottawa makes sense because they can dangle 2nd rounders that probably equal a 1st rounder in value. Personally, I'd prefer to have Ottawa's 2nd and another 2nd over the Islanders 1st.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, I think Ottawa using NYI's 1st rounder to get Murray makes a lot of sense too. They're not a win-now team like Colorado is, but they fit basically everything else that Colorado fits as well: strong prospect pool where they can afford to trade a 1st and enough cap space to be able to sign Murray long-term.

If the Penguins want picks for Murray, I also think Ottawa makes sense because they can dangle 2nd rounders that probably equal a 1st rounder in value. Personally, I'd prefer to have Ottawa's 2nd and another 2nd over the Islanders 1st.

2 1sts, 4 2nds this year and 1 1st and 3 2nds next near is nice stash of prospects. In 3-4 years when they mature, Murray will be right there helping them to contend. You wish he was 26 again but at 30, that's still a prime age for a lot of goalies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It's also amusing to see fans of teams say "we don't need him", as though they're privy to the thoughts and plans of their team's GM. If multiple reports suggest a team is interested in a player, then clearly that team's GM feels differently than their fans.

Yeah, fans using "we" when talking about their favorite sports teams has always made me laugh.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, fans using "we" when talking about their favorite sports teams has always made me laugh.

Eh, I mean...it's not hurting anyone, and you can make a case that without fans the team wouldn't exist (though on an individual basis that obviously doesn't hold any water. Or for this bubble :laugh: )

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Eh, I mean...it's not hurting anyone, and you can make a case that without fans the team wouldn't exist (though on an individual basis that obviously doesn't hold any water. Or for this bubble :laugh: )

I'm speaking in the context of the fans believing they have a window into what their favorite team's plans are. In the same breath we'll lambaste beat writers and other insiders as knowing nothing. It's hilarious.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think the amount of times COL scouted them means COL is interested in something in PIT.

Not sure it’s Murray, but not sure what else really makes sense to devote that much time to view.
That's a good point. Now that you say it I do vaguely remember some rumours just prior to the deadline I think about us scouting Pittsburgh. I think it was Kahun being looked at though, which makes sense given that we ended up bringing in a similar player in Namestnikov instead.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's a good point. Now that you say it I do vaguely remember some rumours just prior to the deadline I think about us scouting Pittsburgh. I think it was Kahun being looked at though, which makes sense given that we ended up bringing in a similar player in Namestnikov instead.

I thought the same, but they came out and said Kahun wasn't available until Botts asked for him.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I thought the same, but they came out and said Kahun wasn't available until Botts asked for him.

"Between Philipp and Pavel, is it fair to say you like what you have there?

In my mind, we don’t have issues with our goalies. When they are healthy, we have had no issues all year. Like every goalie, you have your rough patches but over the course of the year, they both played well. You don’t get where we were being second or third overall (record-wise). That’s not a concern."

So much for the goalie-to-Colorado rumours then.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

"Between Philipp and Pavel, is it fair to say you like what you have there?

In my mind, we don’t have issues with our goalies. When they are healthy, we have had no issues all year. Like every goalie, you have your rough patches but over the course of the year, they both played well. You don’t get where we were being second or third overall (record-wise). That’s not a concern."

So much for the goalie-to-Colorado rumours then.

Yeah because hes really gonna say something different.

i mean i dont know if Colorado is going to add a goalie.

i just know they probably should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad