Rumor: Penguins getting calls on Rust, want to clear space to sign Chris Tanev

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
My guess for what would happen is:

1. Hornqvist to someone for a $2.5-$3 million 3rd liner
2. They sign Tanev with the money saved in the Hornqvist deal plus their remaining cap space (roughly $2 million IIRC)
3. A Rust trade may happen if a team offers up a big enough return, but that's probably unrelated to 1 and 2.

Yeah, agreed, 3 doesn't really logically follow from 1 & 2.

The problem with trading Rust, even in the event of an overpay is
-his contract is perfect and is up when he hits 30
-he fits the team like a damn glove
-Any offer would have to be enough to negate the above two advantages.....is any team realistically going to make a massive overpayment for (all due respect) Bryan Rust?

I feel like the "hometown star role player thing" is a big buyer beware with GMs. Nobody wants to have another Cory Conacher situation. And, again, from Rutherford's perspective, is giving up a player who fits well (financially and tactically) worth giving up a high-ish pick for? Or a decent prospect? It's not as if a GM is going to stroll up and offer a first and a prospect for Rusty.

If the Pens are in "win now" mode for the next 2 years at least, it makes no sense to part with a player who is hard-working, coach-friendly, cap-friendly, team-oriented, and whose contract lines up perfectly with your window. He suits this team down to the ground.

Reactions: Giskard

RSPens

May 25, 2015
It's a good idea if you think Rust isn't what he was last year and some team is willing to pay a price for him based on thinking he is what he was last year.
The problem I have is that even if Rust isn't who he was last season (high shooting %, playmaking). His cap hit is still reasonable for what we know he is, a solid penalty killer that can fit in on any line and helps make the players around him better. He is basically a slightly (its actually pretty close) slower Tanev, with less hitting and more offence.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Have to imagine Tanev gets better offers than 4 million

Yeah the Athletic article said that Tanev wants a raise from $4.45 million and the Penguins were prepared to give him the same term as Brandon but under $5 million. I think it would be something like 5 years at $4.75 million AAV.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If Rust isn’t getting PP1 time like he did when Guentzel was out we’ll see his numbers regress. I think it’s smart to sell high if you’re filling a need elsewhere. Rutherford probably sees Kapanen filling the 2RW hole which makes Rust somewhat expendable.

Reactions: The Nuge

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Rust isn’t getting PP1 time like he did when Guentzel was out we’ll see his numbers regress. I think it’s smart to sell high if you’re filling a need elsewhere. Rutherford probably sees Kapanen filling the 2RW hole which makes Rust somewhat expendable.

To a degree this is true, but Rust still had 39 ES or SH points last year. If the only thing that regresses is his powerplay production, which falls to around 5-10 PP points a year, his pace from last year was still about in the 60-65 point range.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
To a degree this is true, but Rust still had 39 ES or SH points last year. If the only thing that regresses is his powerplay production, which falls to around 5-10 PP points a year, his pace from last year was still about in the 60-65 point range.

He also shot 18% which is pretty high. I think things will even out for him and he’ll be in the 50 - 60 range, and getting a good score for him now isn’t a bad idea.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Rust isn't untouchable, but I don’t see how you get a better value for money contract 1 for 1. If you're trading him for futures then why go get Kapanen in what was essentially the opposite move for a very similar player? Rust as the price to take Jack Johnson's trash contract seems excessive.

Maybe Rust + Murray for a big name might make sense for Pittsburgh, but I don’t know who would be the other side of that deal.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
trading Rust to fit in a stupidly expensive and long contract for another below average defenseman would be a horrible idea

which means it's probably exactly what Rutherford is going to do

Reactions: KIRK and Morrison

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That would be a terrible decision by the Penguins to offload a very good contract and fit in Rust for an oft injured Chris Tanev who is slowing down. And this is coming from a Canucks fan who likes Tanev and wants him back. But this move would make the Pens worse

The idea would be to get a younger asset for Rust.

We currently have Hornqvist who should be in the top six then Rust, Kapanen and Tanev all making over 3 million at RW.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
JR sure likes to change things up, even if the things he wants to do make very little sense in terms of building a roster that fits the style they want to play.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
FWIW:

I think it's just beating a dead horse, but it's not just from the Pittsburgh side that this rumor is being leaked. I think they ultimately don't end up trading Rust, but it seems like Chris this year is in a fairly similar spot to Brandon last year with respect to the rumors we're hearing.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I mean Rust is a 28 year old who’d never broken 40 points before suddenly going PPG. Selling high is a smart idea if you think he’s going to regress back to what he was. And Tanev would be their 2nd or 3rd best dman. If you can get rid of Johnson at the same time, Kapanen and Tanev in for Rust and Johnson is a big upgrade

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
FWIW:

I think it's just beating a dead horse, but it's not just from the Pittsburgh side that this rumor is being leaked. I think they ultimately don't end up trading Rust, but it seems like Chris this year is in a fairly similar spot to Brandon last year with respect to the rumors we're hearing.

So funny, Toronto having interest now, after he could have probably been had for as low as a 2nd rounder when he had some injury concerns.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So funny, Toronto having interest now, after he could have probably been had for as low as a 2nd rounder when he had some injury concerns.
If Benning isn’t going to sign Tanev maybe he should trade Chris’ rights for a ,3rd?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He'll potentially be available for no draft picks in about two weeks.
Yes, and he could have drastically helped Toronto in the last two years when he was available.
High character guy, 22+ min tough defender.
Sounds like something the leafs drastically needed.
Heinsight is 50/50 sure, but Tanev was available per million of reports.
And gambling a 2nd rounder on an injury prone player seems like a no brainer.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
I mean Rust is a 28 year old who’d never broken 40 points before suddenly going PPG. Selling high is a smart idea if you think he’s going to regress back to what he was. And Tanev would be their 2nd or 3rd best dman. If you can get rid of Johnson at the same time, Kapanen and Tanev in for Rust and Johnson is a big upgrade

The question is "If" you can get rid of Johnson.

I would absolutely agree with you if they can.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wouldn't Pittsburgh getting Tanev signal Letang's departure or are they avoiding some regression from Marino?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad