Rumor: Penguins getting calls on Rust, want to clear space to sign Chris Tanev

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That would be a terrible decision by the Penguins to offload a very good contract and fit in Rust for an oft injured Chris Tanev who is slowing down. And this is coming from a Canucks fan who likes Tanev and wants him back. But this move would make the Pens worse

I don't think those two points are necessarily related. They want to clear cap space for Tanev, but a Rust trade is something unrelated that may just happen.

I think they'd probably try to move Hornqvist for a 3rd liner and then throw a $4 million contract at Tanev.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Johnson would have to go, not Rust to make this work. but all-in-all I would not be opposed. It's unfortunate, but necessary, that Rust be traded as soon as possible while his value is at an all time high

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My guess for what would happen is:

1. Hornqvist to someone for a $2.5-$3 million 3rd liner
2. They sign Tanev with the money saved in the Hornqvist deal plus their remaining cap space (roughly $2 million IIRC)
3. A Rust trade may happen if a team offers up a big enough return, but that's probably unrelated to 1 and 2.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If Pens trade Rust it is possible they are trading at his apex trade value wise so i can see the logic there. But to use that cap on Tanev is puzzling. In a condensed schedule scenario coming up, hard to see his staying healthy for 75 games.

Reactions: Luckylarry

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Rust only makes 3.5/year for the next 2 years - plays either wing - was just a ppg player last season - and has been an absolute stud in the playoffs.... I'd be surprised if they haven't been getting calls on him for a few seasons now. The return on him should be solid; but Rust would be a tough player to see leave the squad.

We need to shake things up though and Rust is a guy who holds value. Can't always focus on exchanging reclamations.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Trading Rust to clear cap, and then signing Chris Tanev. Neither makes any sense. Rust is on a great contract, and produces way above cost. Tanev will get a big offer from Buffalo to help Dahlin develop.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
That would be a terrible decision by the Penguins to offload a very good contract and fit in Rust for an oft injured Chris Tanev who is slowing down. And this is coming from a Canucks fan who likes Tanev and wants him back. But this move would make the Pens worse

Plus they already have Kris Letang and John Marino on the right side.

I get the idea of selling high on Rust (although I don't necessarily agree that it's the right decision), but going for another RHD doesn't make much sense.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Trading Rust makes sense if Rutherford has a team interested in Murray and by including Rust in the deal that team has a better winger than Rust their willing to trade to Pittsburgh .

To unknown team
Murray
Rust

To Pittsburgh
?

Last edited:
Reactions: Merrrlin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Plus they already have Kris Letang and John Marino on the right side.

I get the idea of selling high on Rust (although I don't necessarily agree that it's the right decision), but going for another RHD doesn't make much sense.

The Penguins need to upgrade their defense and they're fairly set on LD for the long haul with Dumoulin, Pettersson and POJ. The only position they're lacking in the long run is 3rd pair RD, and they'd ideally get a guy who can anchor that pair. Tanev may be underplayed in a bottom pair role, but it's certainly not a bad thing to have a middle pair D anchoring your bottom pair.

Tanev makes a lot of sense for Pittsburgh. He'd probably start on a pair with Pettersson, with Johnson-Marino as the other pair, and then the pairs would change to Pettersson-Marino and POJ-Tanev once Johnson is finally bought out/traded/shot into the sun.

Reactions: Dominance

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
If Pens trade Rust it is possible they are trading at his apex trade value wise so i can see the logic there. But to use that cap on Tanev is puzzling. In a condensed schedule scenario coming up, hard to see his staying healthy for 75 games.
Yep, this would also be the only good reason I can think of to trade Rust - if he is to be traded, now is when he'd net the best return.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
What we're hearing as Penguins trade talks heat up

For anyone who doesn't know, the Penguins do have Brandon Tanev already, who is the brother of Chris. I don't know that many players have made a big deal out of playing with their siblings before (I know Jordan Staal did), but that may be an advantage the Penguins have.
The most famous recent example, with spectacular results, was the desire of the Niedermayer brothers to play together late in their careers. Anaheim GM Brian Burke had Rob Niedermayer under contract and his RFA rights, and made it clear that he was not about to let him go, as it was known that the brothers wanted to play together.

In the end, Scott Niedermayer signed in Anaheim as a UFA for four years in 2005, after Rob Nidermayer re-upped as a RFA, also for four more years, that same summer.

In 2007, Scott Nidermayer won the Conn Smythe Trophy with Anaheim.

(Source with agent quotes concerning the brothers' motivations: Niedermayer signs with Ducks)

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The most famous recent example, with spectacular results, was the desire of the Niedermayer brothers to play together late in their careers. Anaheim GM Brian Burke had Rob Niedermayer under contract and his RFA rights, and made it clear that he was not about to let him go, as it was known that the brothers wanted to play together.

In the end, Scott Niedermayer signed in Anaheim as a UFA for four years in 2005, after Rob Nidermayer re-upped as a RFA, also for four more years, that same summer.

In 2007, Scott Nidermayer won the Conn Smythe Trophy with Anaheim.

(Source with agent quotes concerning the brothers' motivations: Niedermayer signs with Ducks)

So, Chris Tanev is our 2022 Conn Smythe winner?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, Chris Tanev is no Scott Nidermayer and Brandon is no Rob. Pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad