Rumor: Penguins getting calls on Rust, want to clear space to sign Chris Tanev

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Pittsburgh are moving Rust would Jost+ be of interest as a return? Not sure what the + would be but probably fairly substantial.

Alternatively Compher would be available, but he has the same $3.5m caphit as Rust so probably doesn't make sense if the idea is to find capspace for Tanev. Jost will probably come in at around half of Rust's caphit on his next contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Pittsburgh are moving Rust would Jost+ be of interest as a return? Not sure what the + would be but probably fairly substantial.

Alternatively Compher would be available, but he has the same $3.5m caphit as Rust so probably doesn't make sense if the idea is to find capspace for Tanev. Jost will probably come in at around half of Rust's caphit on his next contract.

I threw out the idea of Kaut and Jost for Rust on the Penguins page. I think that is the kind of deal that JR would shoot for.

Reactions: domaug

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

Rust for Jost + 2020 1st (26th OA right?)

Could also add in Murray if the Avs add some more

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Neither, they just need a strong 3rd pair RD. The plan would be to run with these D pairs for the long run:

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Tanev
So they're trading away a productive winger to address their bottom pairing and that doesn't concern you as a fan?

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So they're trading away a productive winger to address their bottom pairing and that doesn't concern you as a fan?

I don't think they'll trade away Rust to make Tanev work, they'll probably trade Hornqvist for a more cost appropriate 3rd line winger and then sign Tanev with the savings there. I don't have an issue with that.

Reactions: Dominance

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I threw out the idea of Kaut and Jost for Rust on the Penguins page. I think that is the kind of deal that JR would shoot for.

Rust for Jost + 2020 1st (26th OA right?)

Could also add in Murray if the Avs add some more
Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

Kaut is on an ELC for the next 3 years and in his callup in March looked capable enough to be a regular 3RW already. That being the case I don't think Sakic wants to move him.

We've got the 24th overall pick, but Sakic has never moved 1st rouders before so that seems unlikely, particularly for a guy with only 1 season over 40 points at 28 years old.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Kaut has not really done much since being drafted to entice me. Would rather their 2020 1st and draft our own player
Pittsburgh have around another 2 seasons to be competitive before the rebuild begins, and so a 1st round pick doesn't do much for them. Certainly not compared to what an NHL-ready prospect on an ELC for 3 years can do.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Thakns for your responses, much appreciated.

Kaut is on an ELC for the next 3 years and in his callup in March looked capable enough to be a regular 3RW already. That being the case I don't think Sakic wants to move him.

We've got the 24th overall pick, but Sakic has never moved 1st rouders before so that seems unlikely, particularly for a guy with only 1 season over 40 points at 28 years old.
While this may be the case, wasn’t it rumored that Sakic thinks next year is an “all in” year? If that’s true, would probably be the right time to move the 24th OA pick for win now help.

Rust does a lot more than score too. He plays with a ton of energy and grit, can also PK very well. Him and Kadri would form a very frustrating line to play against

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't think they'll trade away Rust to make Tanev work, they'll probably trade Hornqvist for a more cost appropriate 3rd line winger and then sign Tanev with the savings there. I don't have an issue with that.

Who exactly is going to take that deal?

Hornqvist isn't the same player he was a few years ago and still has 3 years left on his deal. There isn't any salary savings that a money-conscious team like Ottawa may have been interested in either. Best case is swapping him for an overpaid player in a position of need, or adding a nice incentive for a team to take on Hornqvist.

Theres been plenty of rumblings around the league it's very difficult to move salary around.

Reactions: belair

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Who exactly is going to take that deal?

I can name multiple teams right off the top of my head. Calgary (Ryan), Edmonton (Kassian), Montreal (Byron), Nashville (Sissons) and Florida (Connolly) are ideas I've seen thrown out here.

Hornqvist isn't the same player he was a few years ago and still has 3 years left on his deal. There isn't any salary savings that Ottawa may have been interested in either. Best case is swapping him for an overpaid player in a position of need, or adding a nice incentive for a team to take on Hornqvist.

Theres been plenty of rumblings around the league it's very difficult to move salary around.

Based on what?

It sounds like you just have a way wrong view of Hornqvist. He's the exact same as he has always been. He's not a cap dump, he's still a complementary top-6 forward that's paid like a complementary top-6 forward. Look at his stat line:

2019-2020: 17 goals and 32 points in 52 games, pace of 27 goals and 50 points
2018-2019: 18 goals and 37 points in 69 games, pace of 21 goals and 44 points
2017-2018: 29 goals and 49 points in 70 games, pace of 34 goals and 57 points
2016-2017: 21 goals and 44 points in 70 games, pace of 25 goals and 52 points
2015-2016: 22 goals and 51 points in 82 games

There is almost no variation there. He's been an incredibly consistent ~25 goal, ~50 point player per 82 games, he just gets banged up and pretty consistently misses 10-15 games a year.

Last edited:

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Pittsburgh have around another 2 seasons to be competitive before the rebuild begins, and so a 1st round pick doesn't do much for them. Certainly not compared to what an NHL-ready prospect on an ELC for 3 years can do.
Is he NHL ready though? I don’t know much about him but his AHL stats are quite unimpressive.

And he plays RW right? Which we really don’t need. So if we get the 1st we can draft a different position that we do need like center

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I can name multiple teams right off the top of my head. Calgary (Ryan), Edmonton (Kassian), Montreal (Byron), Nashville (Sissons) and Florida (Connolly) are ideas I've seen thrown out here.

Go see how many of their fans are open to taking on Hornqvist in a straight swap.

Based on what?

It sounds like you just have a way wrong view of Hornqvist. He's the exact same as he has always been. He's not a cap dump, he's still a complementary top-6 forward that's paid like a complementary top-6 forward.

Who is 33 and still has 3 years left. The league is getting faster and he isn't as effective in the top 6. There's a reason why JR went out and got Kapanen and a bunch of talks about moving on from Hornqvist. Hornqvist cap would be fine if he was a few years younger and the salary was increasing. In a flat cap world, he's overpaid.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Go see how many of their fans are open to taking on Hornqvist in a straight swap.

Those were all suggestions thrown out by fans of that team.

I already made a thread for that, those were the responses I got from those fans.

Who is 33 and still has 3 years left. The league is getting faster and he isn't as effective in the top 6. There's a reason why JR went out and got Kapanen and a bunch of talks about moving on from Hornqvist. Hornqvist cap would be fine if he was a few years younger and the salary was increasing. In a flat cap world, he's overpaid.

No, you just have a wrong view of Hornqvist. Look at his actual stat line:

There is almost no variation there. He's been an incredibly consistent ~25 goal, ~50 point player per 82 games, he just gets banged up and pretty consistently misses 10-15 games a year. You're just not right here, there is no "decline" here and there isn't any proof that he's somehow less effective in a top-6 role right now. He's basically the same exact player now as he was at 29, he hasn't gotten worse.

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
My guess for what would happen is:

1. Hornqvist to someone for a $2.5-$3 million 3rd liner
2. They sign Tanev with the money saved in the Hornqvist deal plus their remaining cap space (roughly $2 million IIRC)
3. A Rust trade may happen if a team offers up a big enough return, but that's probably unrelated to 1 and 2.

Would Miles Wood for Hornqvist be a fair trade? (2.75m each of the next 2 years).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would Miles Wood for Hornqvist be a fair trade? (2.75 over the next 2 years).

Yeah, this is an example of a Hornqvist trade I can see. I don't know if Hornqvist would waive his NTC to go to New Jersey, but this is the general framework of a type of trade I can see JR making with him. The Penguins get the worse player, but they get a more cost appropriate 3rd liner and get to use the cap savings elsewhere.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
FWIW:

I think it's just beating a dead horse, but it's not just from the Pittsburgh side that this rumor is being leaked. I think they ultimately don't end up trading Rust, but it seems like Chris this year is in a fairly similar spot to Brandon last year with respect to the rumors we're hearing.

Come on Toronto!!!!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Those were all suggestions thrown out by fans of that team.

I already made a thread for that, those were the responses I got from those fans.

No, you just have a wrong view of Hornqvist. Look at his actual stat line:

There is almost no variation there. He's been an incredibly consistent ~25 goal, ~50 point player per 82 games, he just gets banged up and pretty consistently misses 10-15 games a year. You're just not right here, there is no "decline" here and there isn't any proof that he's somehow less effective in a top-6 role right now. He's basically the same exact player now as he was at 29, he just hasn't gotten worse.
You sure? I see a consistent decline in production. He doesn't get a pass for getting hurt.

I'm an Oiler fan. No chance in hell I take that contract.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Tanev would be fantastic in Pitt if they can him healthy.

This was his first year of staying healthy in a long long time.

I think the formula was to pair Tanev with an elite puck mover like Q Hughes so that they spend most of the shift with the puck instead of defending and thus blocking less shots and taking less hits. Formula seemed to work.

Tanev has been a warrior for the Canucks for a decade so I wish him nothing but the best if he does leave Van. I hope he makes bank, he deserves it. This guy would block an Al Mcinnis slapshot for his teammates.

However, with the young Canuck core, and where Tanev's body health will be in 2,3 years, im not willing to spend big money long AAV on him. I can see why Pitt would want him though because they are in a win now mode.

For Canucks, I'd be willing to go 3 years 4.75 AAV

Hughes absoloutely loves playing with the guy. but then again he also loved playing with Luke Schenn, so i dont think he is too picky.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You sure? I see a consistent decline in production. He doesn't get a pass for getting hurt.

I'm an Oiler fan. No chance in hell I take that contract.

If you're incapable of looking at context when it comes to games lost, you're not discussing honestly.

His "decline" in production from 18-19 to 19-20 is ENTIRELY because of the pandemic. Hornqvist himself did miss his standard 10-15 games due to injury, but he lost out on an additional 13 games because of the NHL season shutting down. He needed 5 points in those remaining 13 games to beat out what he did in 2018-2019, and he had 14 points in the last 21 games before the season was shut down.

I don't get why people on this site as so insistent on being dishonest in discussions. No one has any power on here to make actual trades, so what's the point of trying to make dishonest arguments? Hornqvist is a ~50 point player per 82 games that misses about 10-15 games a year due to injuries. That's what he has been for pretty much his entire career, both on Pittsburgh and Nashville. I really don't get why people insist on trying to paint a different picture than that.

Reactions: Dominance

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The rebuild? lol.

In two seasons we still have Crosby, Guentzel, Zucker, Marino, Pettersson, Dumoulin, and like Jarry all under contract. That is a fine team even if Malkin or Letang decide to walk. Which is highly doubtful.

Kaut + 1st for Rust would be a decent enough deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->