Rumor: Penguins getting calls on Rust, want to clear space to sign Chris Tanev

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I doubt Virtanen and McCann will be on the same team again, didn't they get into trouble before? Virtanen is a moron but what he brings would be nice for us.

Reactions: ownal

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Boeser is not happening lol.
Virtanen and Gaudette is a steep price to pay for Rust. Maybe throw in a replacement center and we’d have a deal.

We don't really have a replacement center to provide, that's why I asked for Gaudette. I mean, we can throw in Zach Aston-Reese or Dominik Simon, both of whom have bottom 6 skill sets but can play the top 6 in a pinch. Simon has played center a handful of times.

My problem is that Rust is likely better than Virtanen and Gaudette...so we are giving up the best player in the trade. We could may do some pick swapping but I'd rather not.

Rust+ZAR for Virtanen+Gaudette?

What are the proposed contracts each are asking for?

eli4spetterss0n

Jul 9, 2013
White Rock, BC
We don't really have a replacement center to provide, that's why I asked for Gaudette. I mean, we can throw in Zach Aston-Reese or Dominik Simon, both of whom have bottom 6 skill sets but can play the top 6 in a pinch. Simon has played center a handful of times.

My problem is that Rust is likely better than Virtanen and Gaudette...so we are giving up the best player in the trade. We could may do some pick swapping but I'd rather not.

I would do this as a canucks fan.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The f*** are you even talking about

I saw the post you responded to, and this post I quoted not only doesn't make sense, but makes you look silly.
Your post here is silly as it is obvious what I was laughing about. Now I have two authors I am laughing about who think Rust returns a mere top 9 forward with the 1% chance of being a top 6 forward such as Beauvillier. That’s like saying you want to trade your slightly used Dodge for a relatively new Lexus. But you go girl! Much laughter.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Your post here is silly as it is obvious what I was laughing about. Now I have two authors I am laughing about who think Rust returns a mere top 9 forward with the 1% chance of being a top 6 forward such as Beauvillier. That’s like saying you want to trade your slightly used Dodge for a relatively new Lexus. But you go girl! Much laughter.

I would bet my $1mil in SB Cash that there are more GMs out there that would take Rust over Beauvillier...

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

That’s an extremely fair trade imo.

And Virtanen will likely get just under 3 million; Gaudette is a wild card, probably a show me deal of 1.75-2.0 per for two seasons

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Pens board, said they both would party together and show up late when teammates. Just going off that, Sullivan would hate them if they did that here together. Not true? my bad if I am mistaken.
That’s the first I’ve heard about anything like that I don’t believe that’s true at all. I looked it up and can’t find a thing about it. No worries though man!

Reactions: 66-30-33

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
That’s the first I’ve heard about anything like that I don’t believe that’s true at all. I looked it up and can’t find a thing about it. No worries though man!

As I recall, rumor was McCann was moved cuz of a lack of maturity and professionalism in Van (entitlement comes to mind), traits that Virtanen has shown repeatedly. . While I haven’t heard the exact scenario presented here from the Pens board, it sounds fairly likely given both of their reps here

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
What we're hearing as Penguins trade talks heat up

For anyone who doesn't know, the Penguins do have Brandon Tanev already, who is the brother of Chris. I don't know that many players have made a big deal out of playing with their siblings before (I know Jordan Staal did), but that may be an advantage the Penguins have.
So, if we trade Horny for Matheson @ 1.6 mil retained, fire JJ into the sun, and then acquire Tanev we look like this:

Dumolin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Petterson-Tanev
Riikola-Ruhwedel
POJ

I don't really know how I feel about all that. Can Marino mask Matheson's defensive screwups? Can Tanev provide some physicality that Petterson lacks? Does Riikola get pissed and demand a trade since we are probably misusing him?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
So, if we trade Horny for Matheson @ 1.6 mil retained, fire JJ into the sun, and then acquire Tanev we look like this:

Dumolin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Petterson-Tanev
Riikola-Ruhwedel
POJ

I don't really know how I feel about all that. Can Marino mask Matheson's defensive screwups? Can Tanev provide some physicality that Petterson lacks? Does Riikola get pissed and demand a trade since we are probably misusing him?
Where do you stand on this now knowing $1.6M wasn’t retained?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad