Salary Cap: Penguins future roster-building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I mean, it wouldn't surprise me. It would be incredibly stupid, but it wouldn't surprise me.

me neither. he says the pens are worried about murray's durability.

which is fair. but i think it takes years of playing many games to get a goalie's durability up.

who knows though. maybe he's just fragile

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
me neither. he says the pens are worried about murray's durability.

which is fair. but i think it takes years of playing many games to get a goalie's durability up.

who knows though. maybe he's just fragile

Being worried about Murray's durability isn't wrong at this point, but at the same point, you don't need to keep a $5.75 million goalie as insurance for injuries. You can easily sign a guy like Mason or Elliott for like 2/3rds of that and have a fine insurance policy.

You also can't ignore that Madden is a massive Fleury fanboy, so you should take his takes about Fleury with a grain of salt. Just remember that.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Well I mean, they can have a good ole time thinking about the ways right up until hour zero but I suspect they come to the same conclusion we already know: there is no feasible way in a cap era to have a backup goaltender making 5.75 mil against the cap. This isn't football and they can't renegotiate an existing contract.

This sounds like good ole double M wish fulfillment to me.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Being worried about Murray's durability isn't wrong at this point, but at the same point, you don't need to keep a $5.75 million goalie as insurance for injuries. You can easily sign a guy like Mason or Elliott for like 2/3rds of that and have a fine insurance policy.

You also can't ignore that Madden is a massive Fleury fanboy, so you should take his takes about Fleury with a grain of salt. Just remember that.

yes but they don't have fleury's smile or personality, now do they?!?!?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Condon, Vokoun, Greiss. That's three guys we've found at the scrapyard during the summer that have turned out to be, at the very least, adequate backups. I don't believe it's difficult to find a guy capable of filling in if an injury occurs.

We don't need to keep Fleury beyond these playoffs. Period. Even if we're worried about Murray's durability.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Condon, Vokoun, Greiss. That's three guys we've found at the scrapyard during the summer that have turned out to be, at the very least, adequate backups. I don't believe it's difficult to find a guy capable of filling in if an injury occurs.

We don't need to keep Fleury beyond these playoffs. Period. Even if we're worried about Murray's durability.

I don't think there are a lot of guys out there this summer though. I haven't checked in awhile but last I looked I was shocked that there weren't really any backups to just grab for a million bucks or so. No one's saying keep Fleury but it might very well be Jarry backing up next year. Could make a deal for a bad NHL backup like Lack and just start Jarry a lot if Murray gets hurt I suppose.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
lol. madden says the pens are thinking about ways to keep fleury and murray for next season

IF this is true is it really that much of a shock to anyone? I said this not to long ago in the Fleury vs Murray thread but what if that was "The Plan" that JR kept talking about in regards to expansion? Would it really surprise anyone if the Pens tried to bribe Vegas into not taking Murray that way they would keep both? Like I said it isn't anywhere near out of the realm of possibility with this teams track record when it comes to vets and beloved fan favorites

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I've been hard on Sheary these playoffs, with horny likely out tonight this is Conor's best game of the playoffs. He will be in on 2 goals tonight.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009

Excellent points!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
IF this is true is it really that much of a shock to anyone? I said this not to long ago in the Fleury vs Murray thread but what if that was "The Plan" that JR kept talking about in regards to expansion? Would it really surprise anyone if the Pens tried to bribe Vegas into not taking Murray that way they would keep both? Like I said it isn't anywhere near out of the realm of possibility with this teams track record when it comes to vets and beloved fan favorites

I know its been discussed before because I remember getting shouted at for expressing a belief the organisation might well do it :laugh: wouldn't be all that logical but organisations do dumb things all the time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think there are a lot of guys out there this summer though. I haven't checked in awhile but last I looked I was shocked that there weren't really any backups to just grab for a million bucks or so. No one's saying keep Fleury but it might very well be Jarry backing up next year. Could make a deal for a bad NHL backup like Lack and just start Jarry a lot if Murray gets hurt I suppose.

Darling
Condon
Bernier
Elliott
Mason
Pavalec
Johnson
Kuemper
Nilsson
McElhinney
Kinkaid
Budaj

That's the list of back-up UFA's. Some will try to get starter jobs like Darling and maybe even Bernier or Elliott, and several more will likely just re-up where they are at, but I don't see why JR couldn't pick up a Nilsson, McElhinney, Kinkaid type for cheap.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Excellent points!

What's wrong with those points? Do you advocate keeping Fleury around for 5.75MM when you have to re-sign Dumo, Schultz, Sheary, Bones, and sign another Dman? That cap space we have will go away pretty quickly.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Fleury is getting the attention of many a salivating GM in these playoffs. The Pens are faced with a tough choice. How do you play both Murray and Fleury ? The Pens have no hope of obtaining another lottery pick in the near future but trading Fluery for one would be a option that would work well for the cap. I know this is a weaker draft year but there is probably many tems that would take Fleury and give a pick or two.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
going to disregard madden on this one unless letang suddenly becomes a GTD for tonight's game

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
going to disregard madden on this one unless letang suddenly becomes a GTD for tonight's game

I mean it wouldn't surprise me but I think both goalies want to start and would be unhappy with a platoon arrangement.

And Murray is gonna get paid soon. What are we gonna have 10 million plus locked up in our goaltending? That would be silly.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Fleury is getting the attention of many a salivating GM in these playoffs. The Pens are faced with a tough choice. How do you play both Murray and Fleury ? The Pens have no hope of obtaining another lottery pick in the near future but trading Fluery for one would be a option that would work well for the cap. I know this is a weaker draft year but there is probably many tems that would take Fleury and give a pick or two.

I highly doubt we get a high pick for Fleury. He has raised his value with his play so far no doubt but we aren't going to get a first round pick for him. He is 32 years old and makes almost $6 million. No team is going to trade a first for him

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I highly doubt we get a high pick for Fleury. He has raised his value with his play so far no doubt but we aren't going to get a first round pick for him. He is 32 years old and makes almost $6 million. No team is going to trade a first for him

That really depends... teams who think they are one piece away might give up more for an asset of less general value... it happens all the time... If fluery backstopped them to a second cup his value would be through the roof for a moment

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
GMJR is a big chemistry in the room guy. Sully as well. I don't think any big shakes ups are coming with the obvious issues of MAF, ED and resigning Bonino at a good workable price. Duno or Olli will be exposed as Shultz is to valuable to lose. I don't think Olli's skating is ever going to be better so yes for that cap hit for at best a 4 to 6 D man, I consider losing him in a trade or ED He is replacable.

Trade, sure. ED, absolutely not. Simply put, his value around the league - or even to LV is simply too much to lose for nothing.

I have a really hard time seeing this. Through the first 7 games of the playoffs, Maatta is #2 in TOI while Dumo is #3 - both within 10 seconds of Schultz who's #1. If you look at ES TOI, both are again #2/3 - ahead of Schultz (behind Hainsey).

If anything, icetime allotment so far is more of an indicator that Hainsey would be a great value signing (1 yr 2m type of thing) then that Maatta or Dumoulin should be exposed to the ED.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Agreed. And while I'm not exactly sure what's wrong right now, neither do I see his injuries screaming "injury prone". Move MAF, and then go find the best 1B goalie you can find - there'll be several who will be FAs this summer and I doubt they'd cost more than 2-3m.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If Tampa is going to move Drouin because they can't protect him, then I think he falls into that category. While I wold love Oshie, I don't think we can afford him. I think he'll get way north of 6 from a team.

If we win a cup without a Letang *knock on wood*, I feel like that opens a lot of doors for us.

Re. Letang: F**k no. We are incredibly lucky to be where we are by committee, and there's a good chance we could get creamed by NSH/ANA/EDM if we face them in the finals because our D is weak and could get exposed in a hurry. We are lucky Bobrovsky and especially Holtby have sucked so badly and totally taken the air out of their teams' play and spirits. I'm excited about where we are in the playoffs but we have been outplayed by WSH for much of the series and if Holtby was 90% as good as Fleury this year, we'd probably be down 0-2 to WSH.

Re. Drouin: we do NOT have the assets to trade for a player of his caliber, period. Our cupboard is empty. They don't need Sprong. They want a young Dman with top pair potential and we don't have that to trade; and I think we need a great young Dman more than we need a great young F like Drouin.

I don't see a need for Alzner if the Penguins manage to retain all of Cole, Maatta and Dumoulin after the year, plus I think Alzner is actually pretty bad. If we're talking UFA defensemen, I'd stay away from any of the Washington guys. There's a reason that they hoard Penguins castoff defensemen.

Agree with 'NO' on Alzner. I would rather just hope Cole doesn't get taken and sign him to a long-term extension for less $$.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That really depends... teams who think they are one piece away might give up more for an asset of less general value... it happens all the time... If fluery backstopped them to a second cup his value would be through the roof for a moment

A 1st? Probably wouldn't be too hard - as long as a team in need of a goalie had a late one. So perhaps Calgary at 17 (assuming they're that interested in MAF and he hasn't already gone to LV and that MAF doesn't have them on his NTC or will waive). But other than that, I have a really hard time seeing someone give us a 1st for him. Every other team we've discussed who could even potentially need MAF have top 13 picks, and the odds of someone giving up a pick that high for a 32 yr old goalie seems like a long shot. What's more realistic is getting the value of a mid/late 1st (aka a 2nd+).

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
That really depends... teams who think they are one piece away might give up more for an asset of less general value... it happens all the time... If fluery backstopped them to a second cup his value would be through the roof for a moment[/QUOTE

I can't think of any team that is a realistic destination that would be upgraded to instant cup contender by giving up a first round pick to acquire Fleury. As well as he has played lately I still don't see a ton of teams lining up to just take him off our hands and give us a ton of value for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad