Salary Cap: Penguins future roster-building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
A 1st? Probably wouldn't be too hard - as long as a team in need of a goalie had a late one. So perhaps Calgary at 17 (assuming they're that interested in MAF and he hasn't already gone to LV and that MAF doesn't have them on his NTC or will waive). But other than that, I have a really hard time seeing someone give us a 1st for him. Every other team we've discussed who could even potentially need MAF have top 13 picks, and the odds of someone giving up a pick that high for a 32 yr old goalie seems like a long shot. What's more realistic is getting the value of a mid/late 1st (aka a 2nd+).

I can't even really see Calgary wanting to offer up a first. I don't think he is worth a first to be honest. Even if he wins a cup this year. I feel like goalies don't really get traded for a ton of value these days

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I can't even really see Calgary wanting to offer up a first. I don't think he is worth a first to be honest. Even if he wins a cup this year. I feel like goalies don't really get traded for a ton of value these days

How about we swap 1sts and get a 2nd? Calgary doesn't have a 2nd though this year, apparently.

If it is with Calgary, maybe something like:

MAF + 60th OA for 17thOA, 77th OA.

Get a 1st and a 3rd for MAF and our 2nd.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Part of the reason why is because you rarely see goalies traded at all. I mean discounting rentals, we've had how many starting goalies moved over the last 5 years... 2-3 tops? It's a really hard position to gauge value on based on past moves.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Part of the reason why is because you rarely see goalies traded at all. I mean discounting rentals, we've had how many starting goalies moved over the last 5 years... 2-3 tops? It's a really hard position to gauge value on based on past moves.

That is a very fair and valid point. I'm not sure how to really gauge goalie trade value at all because of how little we see them moved. That being said I really don't think we can get an early to mid first for him. If it was a later first (like Toronto traded for Andersen) I could maybe see that. Honestly I think we get a 2nd and a prospect at best

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This current series reminds me of how much we need a player like Evander Kane. I know people don't want to forgive him here even though charges were dropped and what not but he's a solid player, built like a tank and he can handle the rough stuff and dish it out in spades. He's a guy I would love to get for sure. He'd be outstanding with Malkin.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
This current series reminds me of how much we need a player like Evander Kane. I know people don't want to forgive him here even though charges were dropped and what not but he's a solid player, built like a tank and he can handle the rough stuff and dish it out in spades. He's a guy I would love to get for sure. He'd be outstanding with Malkin.

Well Botterill will probably be GM for his team so...but he is lockerroom cancer.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
On one hand, I think E. Kane's an immature dick and I wouldn't want to see him potentially **** with a team dynamic that's very important to our success--how much of a tight-knit team this is, with everyone, to a T, buying into Sullivan. I think there's a very real possibility of E. Kane ****ing with that.

On the other, he's a supremely talented guy with a skillset we're wholly lacking (power forward with fantastic skating), and I think if anyone can get through to him and get him to shape up it's gonna be a team with Sully and Sid.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
**** Evander Kane.

He doesn't give a **** about anybody but himself, a fact that he's proven time and time again. Its not a coincidence that a guy with his attributes has been jettisoned by virtually every team he's ever been on, including in the KHL.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
**** Evander Kane.

He doesn't give a **** about anybody but himself, a fact that he's proven time and time again. Its not a coincidence that a guy with his attributes has been jettisoned by virtually every team he's ever been on, including in the KHL.

It depends all on the cost. There are plenty of examples where guys finally get it once they reach a certain age and or situation.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Get a 3C, and fix the D, aswell as get rid of Maatta perhaps in a package for a 3C like Duchene if Bones prices himself out of Pens price range. Our 4th line is going to take a hit with the loss of Cullen retiring...hopefully he stays here and gets into a position. Or he can go to Minnesota for a job.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Get a 3C, and fix the D, aswell as get rid of Maatta perhaps in a package for a 3C like Duchene if Bones prices himself out of Pens price range. Our 4th line is going to take a hit with the loss of Cullen retiring...hopefully he stays here and gets into a position. Or he can go to Minnesota for a job.

Will hurt to lose both Bones and Cullen. Might have to trade one of our wingers(Sheary or Hagelin would fetch the best returns) or as you said, Maatta for one. One thing we know about the Pens is they want 3 top end centers. Drafted Steal, traded for Sutter(didn't work as planned) , and then for Bonino. Who's next? Sundqvist can be the 4C .

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Will hurt to lose both Bones and Cullen. Might have to trade one of our wingers(Sheary or Hagelin would fetch the best returns) or as you said, Maatta for one. One thing we know about the Pens is they want 3 top end centers. Drafted Steal, traded for Sutter(didn't work as planned) , and then for Bonino. Who's next? Sundqvist can be the 4C .

Sundqvist not ready. No options come close to Cullen I think.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Not going to be able to replace Cullen. One of a kind.

Sundqvist didn't look great in his call up but it wasn't for that long. He actually looked better last year. Even played a few playoff games. He was doing great in Wilkes until his injury. Hopefully regains form next year. I say let him get some experience in the regular season. We can always trade for a 4c mid season or deadline.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

I think his series shows we need another Dman who can kill an aggressive forecheck.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I'm still not confident Washington is completely dead. We've got to stay out of the box and stop playing with fire.

Off topic, anyone think Crosby plays if they make it to the third round?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm still not confident Washington is completely dead. We've got to stay out of the box and stop playing with fire.

I think he does.

Also can't see the caps winning 3 in a row with Sullivan as our coach. Fleury is locked in. And Schultz is awake.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I wouldn't go near Kane because I don't see him as a necessity. That being said, I think he will grow out of his immaturity, and I think the losing in his NHL career has really created part of the monster he is.

I'd take Landeskog or Duchene in a heartbeat. I think both fit into this team insanely well. I could make a case for trying to go after either. Landeskog being on a team that has a huge Swedish influence is probably something that'd work pretty well. Duchene and his desire and ability - it'd be unbelievable to watch here.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

They're not dead at all they just fail to finish and we're flat out making the most of our chances and they're making the least of theirs. I can't really fault Trotz for the way this series has gone. They've outplayed us for long periods. He can't make all these talented players finish.

Also, as I said a couple weeks ago, Ovechkin is just not much of a threat 5-on-5. I'm sorry he just isn't. He only needs one chance anyways which is why he's so good, but unless you have a brain fart when he's on the ice (as we did once last night) you're golden unless you take too many penalties. 5-on-5 basically involves AO coming down the wing without enough speed and groping a defenseman as the puck trickles off his stick.

I think they'll be tough to eliminate, but eliminate them we will. As far as Crosby, I don't know why anyone would even guess.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This team doesn't NEED to take risks on guys like Kane. I love the skillset, but the Pens are desperate for goal scoring. Toughness maybe, but unless Sully believes he can 100% get Kane to buy into the team approach and 'just play' attitude over selfishness, I wouldn't do it.

If there's a Dman version of Kane out there, I might take the risk.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This team doesn't NEED to take risks on guys like Kane. I love the skillset, but the Pens are desperate for goal scoring. Toughness maybe, but unless Sully believes he can 100% get Kane to buy into the team approach and 'just play' attitude over selfishness, I wouldn't do it.

If there's a Dman version of Kane out there, I might take the risk.

I presume that was meant to be aren't desperate for goal scoring? :laugh:

But yeah. This team doesn't need more forwards. It would be nice to have a highly skilled 3C. Depending on the ED we might need more plug and play wingers, preferably cheap. That's it. Elite scoring wingers (at fair prices) would be pointless and hurt other areas of the team.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

The rough stuff is very frustrating - especially when you see a **** like Wilson continuously taking runs at players. But on the other hand I love the fact that we do not get engaged in that ****. Skate away and just win the game. We have to deal with a few more injuries and the players have more bumps and bruises, but it's a much more effective tactic - as long as those runs/hits do not result in key guys missing games.

So no, I think I'd pass on Kane. Besides, it's not like this team lacks scoring. We were the top scoring team in the regular season and are probably one of the top scoring teams in the playoffs (haven't looked).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

No he's not. But I'd be fine with Rowney in that spot. Maybe even bring in a depth FA center who gives you another option there. We won't be able to replace Cullen's skillset there (cap would cost too much), but that doesn't mean we can't have an effective 4th line.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Don't sleep on Bleuger either.
Kid does alot of good things.
He's the more Cullen'esque center down the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark